Anyone fish streamers for salmon?

jamescasey

hi,

my friends and i were on the River Finn last week and he stripped some big streamers across pools for trout and actually got some follows from salmon. was really cool. anyone else try this ?

Scotty90

Salmon flies are essentially streamers, shrimp style flies like cascades and scandi style flies are tied with long mobile materials very much like a streamer

speytime

I'm not sure what a streamer is exactly? flies have changed from what I once knew, but if they resemble a # big stoats tail or humongous then yes, after a spate you can have good sport with them stripped or swung around.

Al

speytime

Salmon flies are essentially streamers, shrimp style flies like cascades and scandi style flies are tied with long mobile materials very much like a streamer
Of course they couldn't just be lures there to common 🤣 wtf does our country insist on copying the Americans?
Angling started here in the UK we shouldn't be copying 🇺🇸 terms?

Al

Last edited:

clag

hi,

my friends and i were on the River Finn last week and he stripped some big streamers across pools for trout and actually got some follows from salmon. was really cool. anyone else try this ?
In W E Davies Salmon and Sea Trout Fishing published in 1957 the author talks about catching salmon on Streamers specifically The Black Ghost, Grey Ghost and Deer Hair Streamer. He fished them on both a fly rod or with split shot on the spinner. The Ghost flies had some popularity in the 70s on resevoirs but never really took off in uk salmon fishing. The Deer hair was simply a bucktail winged lure in all its variants still going strong today.

Regards

CLaG

tangled

Huge streamers are used for sea trout in the Rio Grande. Up to 8”. Smaller ones too. A more standard salmon fly the sunray shaddow is pretty much a streamer

1595228927085.jpeg

williegunn

8" not bad but many years ago Rogie Brown when writing in T&S discussed someone "Fishing a Collie Dog a quarter of a yard long" a lovely phrase.

tangled

8" not bad but many years ago Rogie Brown when writing in T&S discussed someone "Fishing a Collie Dog a quarter of a yard long" a lovely phrase.
Quarter of a yard certainly sounds enormous! You don't immediately think 9”.

bobmiddlepoint

A monkey or sunray would be a better choice

On some rivers the Sunray is considered not quite the done thing by true sporting anglers.
On a river in the Far North once the lockdown was eased the ghillies were allowed onto the rotating beats. One ghillie in particular put in long hours and took many fish on the Sunray. The ghillies fishng the rotation behind him did less well and were heard to comment "that b4stard has Sunrayed everything and fecked it for us!"

I like Woolly Buggers and Clouser Minnows for salmon.

Andy

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
On some rivers the Sunray is considered not quite the done thing by true sporting anglers.
On a river in the Far North once the lockdown was eased the ghillies were allowed onto the rotating beats. One ghillie in particular put in long hours and took many fish on the Sunray. The ghillies fishng the rotation behind him did less well and were heard to comment "that b4stard has Sunrayed everything and fecked it for us!"

I like Woolly Buggers and Clouser Minnows for salmon.

Andy
Give me a bunch of dew worms!!
regards
Bert

fruinfisher

If we were fishing a beat, as a group, the sunray would only come out at the end of the day as a last resort.All the casting and bashing about with these large lures isn’t exactly subtle and quiet fishing!

tangled

I've never heard that about sunrays, I always considered them the most imitative fly in my box.