Anyone keep a fishing diary?

A. Fluker

I stated again about three years ago and although it's a bit of a pain keeping up to date it's fun looking back.

Anyone else keep a fishing diary?

:)

S

Scotty Mitchell

kind of....only since i started fishing a river, i note water level, weather, whats hatching, what flys worked, more important what didnt, number of fish and iv started noting what leader lengths i can get away with when heavy nymphing certain pools in whatever water level, to try and save some flies:eek:
I hope to save some time this coming season as i can eliminate certain things.
Scotty

Last edited:

3lbgrayling

Yes,since 1995. as you say can be a bit of a pain to keep up.but has been good to remindind me what time certain flylife/hatches have started.also wildlife sightings/happenings.

Jim

REIDY10_0

We keep a diary at the fishery, whats been caught, who caught it and what flies were used to catch fish and any other info the members feel like entering.
It is good to have a read back through the year.

I should keep a personal diary but i dont think i could keep on top of it.
If i have had an exceptional day i will post pics etc on the forums which is even better to look back at.

tonyt

I keep an excel spreadsheet diary, recording stuff like conditions, water temp, pressure, river levels, flies used, methods, things that worked well and things that didn't etc.
It can be a bind but is well worth the effort, it's ok to make mistakes that's called learning but don't make the same ones.

birdsnest

No.............but I really ought to. All my carping :eek: mates keep detailed diaries of weather patterns, pressure, temperature, water conditions, baits methods etc etc. It does seem to help a lot...............Do I feel a new years resolution coming on?......................birdsnest

marxach

My blog serves as a diary complete with pictures. I also have an excel spreadsheet giving me more detail. I find it very useful, my wife thinks it's a bit weird....

Regards
Peter

flickupflickback

i do and always have since i started fishing way back in the eighties it really helps when fishing a venue you havent fished for a while i dont use excel but now i might:rolleyes: :thumbs:

Guddler

I've kept a diary for a few years. Sometimes it's weather and patterns, sometimes a bit of a story, sometimes kinda non-fishing and a few pics too.
It is difficult to keep up at times and the detail varies tremendously but reading back over it on a dark winter's night takes me straight back to a summer evening by the side of a loch again. :)

denzil3009

I dont have a diary specifically.

I use an app for my phone to add fish that iv caught, size of fish, the flee that worked,etc.

Very handy if your going back to the same venue :)

Pete T

Trade Member
I used to keep a diary but for a few years now have written a blog that covers what I do when I am working but also some of the fishing trips I have been on. Blogs are like a diary that you have to stick with them ( I try and do mine weekly) and looking back they can give the same sort of pleasure a diary does along with some pics to remind you.

I was over at Croakingfrogs (who posts here sometimes) and she showed me her fishing diary. It was the sort of thing I love to read and had all sorts loose bits poking out that included pictures, notes, momentos and even drawings from her fishing trips. It was the sort of fishing diary I'd like to eventually put together one day.

Pete

Eat, Sleep, Fish

Last edited:

montanajoe

I keep a diary and have done from 1982.
They are now scattered around the place but are a valuable resource as you will find that not much changes over the years.
The same flies work at certain times of the year and at different water conditions.

I don't have a blog but I do keep a diary on CFF
Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum :: View topic - Montanajoe's Ramblings

It can be a pain if you fish a lot but I believe it's well worthwhile.

Iain

bill1

At my age, I'm too knackered when I get back and the next day I can't even remember where I've been.:eek:mg:

sarg

I found a diary when routing through some old fishing stuff in the loft about a month ago, and it was my fishing diary when i was 16 and 17. It was a shock because i couldnt remember writing it, but as soon as i started reading the memories of every day came flooding back. Wonderful memories, and i think this year i am going to start a diary again.

Merry christmas all

derek1

Hi everyone just reading about keeping a diary. theres a good site called FISHSWAMI has everything you need for printing pages for your diary.hope Ive helped you. Tight Lines. Derek

chris1979

No.............but I really ought to. All my carping :eek: mates keep detailed diaries of weather patterns, pressure, temperature, water conditions, baits methods etc etc. It does seem to help a lot...............Do I feel a new years resolution coming on?......................birdsnest
Pretty much word for word what I would say!! My Grandpa used to do it and I loved going through them all the night before a trip out using them to formulate a plan of attack for the morning, great times.

I always say that I'll get a 'nice' journal and use it to store all the details along with photos of the day etc.........maybe this year :eek:mg: