Anyone know these books?

bazc

Flycasting Handbook by Peter Mackenzie-Philps
John Goddards Trout-Fishing Techniques
An Introduction to Resevoir Trout Fishing by Alan Pearson

I found them in a local book shop and wondered if they're worth snapping up? I found a couple of good reviews of the John Goddard book but can't find any info on the others.

Last edited:

haggstock

Peter McKenzie -Philps used to do amazing casting demonstrations perhaps 30 years ago. Any gamefair in Yorkshire would normally have him in their game fishing arena at some point. I seem to remember he was a very entertaining chap who was quite influential in fly fishing at the time.

Last edited:
G

guest54

I had some casting lessons from Peter when I used to visit his shop in Wetherby, great fella.:thumbs:

G

guest54

Thanks, sounds like his book is worth getting!

It was Peter who was firmly of the opinion that a pink shrimp would out fish any other shrimp pattern every time, I bought some from him but never used them. :eek:

bazc

Haha! I think you should give them a go, could be an undiscovered secret weapon!

ACW

In between the old and new Arsenal grounds
Peter was a real joy to deal with ,lots of ideas ,yes I still have a wisp or 2 of his pink shrimp dubbing ,and a 10 ft 2 peice early carbon which could handle a dt 6 and a #9 shooting head .
Alan Pearson ,best left unsaid my opinion of him ,not many people in the fishing world that raised my hackle like he did ,spoilt a couple of my days out !

bazc

Thanks for the info guys, I grabbed the Peter Mackenzie-Philps and the John Goddard books. Pretty good deal - £1 each!

arkle

At that time, I used to tie a lot for Peter McP. though I can't remember doing any of his pink shrimp's I've still got about a pkt of the material left somewhere,. along with all the other colours. A "character" he certainly was, Alan P. was a trifle "notorious" to put it mildly, "nuff said" & John G. was another "character" only met him the once, & was not overly impressed, perhaps a better writer than in person ?

rusty

Peter MacKenzie-Philps taught a chap called Howard Croston to cast. He has done quite well lately!
Rusty