Anyone know what this is? (Graphic)

Fish8MyFly

Gutted a few rainbows in my time never seen this inside one before anyone know what it is? Not sure if i should eat it.
Not a flex but fish was 8lb if that makes any difference. Yellow juice coming out of some of them i popped. All soft.
Meat seems ok
1D84463B-6887-49F8-A322-9C434135A889.jpeg
DE71CF24-4EBD-47ED-9883-BBFB8EF3E69F.jpeg
471FEB64-12E0-44D2-8BEC-65E51497736E.jpeg

Fishtales

Hemp Seed?

or if it is in the body cavity it could be Diphyllobothrium larvae cysts.

Last edited:

Fish8MyFly

Hemp Seed?

Does look similar.

i might add that many of these were stuck if not imbedded into the outer parts of the guts

jaybeegee

I'm thinking sweetcorn! There appears to be skins and kernels.
You wouldn't happen to have been using a fake (rubber) corn superglues to a hook would you????
At my club res, someone had been doing just that, artificial corn on a hook. No evidence of loose fed corn.
It does look like sweetcorn alright. My biggest ever trout was an 8lb rainbow from Evretou Dam in Cyprus, it took legered corn meant for a huge carp.🙄
B

Fish8MyFly

I'm thinking sweetcorn! There appears to be skins and kernels.
You wouldn't happen to have been using a fake (rubber) corn superglues to a hook would you????
At my club res, someone had been doing just that, artificial corn on a hook. No evidence of loose fed corn.
i think you could be right mate. Was very similar looking and consistency. Just wondering why its not all in the intestines or stomach? 90% of it was embedded/stuck on the outside layer of the guts 10% just floating around
Side note - a fishery owner years ago told me to not use corn as bait as it f**ks the trouts guts.
No i wasn’t using fake corn.

bonefishblues

i think you could be right mate. Was very similar looking and consistency. Just wondering why its not all in the intestines or stomach? 90% of it was embedded/stuck on the outside layer of the guts 10% just floating around
Side note - a fishery owner years ago told me to not use corn as bait as it f**ks the trouts guts.
No i wasn’t using fake corn.
Quite right. Best to always use the natural :ROFLMAO:

shropshire_lad

Interesting stuff sweetcorn. I used to work for a water utility and when you looked at the stuff that came off preliminary filters at sewage treatment works sweetcorn husks were always very evident. So, in other words, it does not break down easily in the gut. Tomato seeds were another one - you would get tomato plants growing where the screenings were.

Not sure if this is relevant to your fish.

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
Does look similar.

i might add that many of these were stuck if not imbedded into the outer parts of the guts
Well, given from the pictures that the stuff is all over the intenal organs of the fish, and not in the gut sections, aint ingested stuff like sweetcorn.
Sandys guess at Diphyllobothrium larvae cysts might be on the money!

ohanzee

Well, given from the pictures that the stuff is all over the intenal organs of the fish, and not in the gut sections, aint ingested stuff like sweetcorn.
Sandys guess at Diphyllobothrium larvae cysts might be on the money!

I was thinking the same :unsure: how does sweetcorn get into its body and circumnavigate its gut? what is this witchcraft?😬

PaulD

Interesting stuff sweetcorn. I used to work for a water utility and when you looked at the stuff that came off preliminary filters at sewage treatment works sweetcorn husks were always very evident. So, in other words, it does not break down easily in the gut. Tomato seeds were another one - you would get tomato plants growing where the screenings were.

It's the same with babies. Feed a baby sweetcorn, it goes straight through to the nappy. You could rinse it off and feed it to them again. (y)

BobP

As these things are outside the stomach it is most unlikely that they have been eaten by the fish, unless the OP has sliced open the stomach and they have spilled out.

For my money it is an internal parasite and if I were the captor of the fish and sufficiently interested I would send those photos to the National Fisheries Laboratory at Brampton.

bobnudd

Many years ago I had friend that worked at a sewage farm. He used to bring me tomato plants from the works. Grew some great tomatoes.
My money would be on sweet corn Trout seem to like it more than worms.