Anyone recommend me a voice activated head camera

dgp

I mostly fish catch and release and when I catch a memorable fish it would be nice to have a record. But I’m fussy about fish welfare and wouldn’t want to handle the fish or even hold it for too long in the net. Often by using barbless hooks they fall out when the fish comes to the net. Just wondered if a voice operated head camera would be the answer to getting a quick photo before releasing.

arkle

Not sure if this might help, but have you considered a chest mounted GoPro type camera ?

Reactions: dgp

wobbly face

Go Pro Hero 9 is the latest model, does state it has voice activation but not found any reviews on how good, or bad it is. They have also improved the inbuilt mic recording which I believe was quite ropy in older models. Mic and sound recording isn't a strong feature of most action type cameras, external mics are needed which adds to cost and more gear to take. So you might need an external mike to get a camera to work better on voice command. Then the mic would need to be waterproof, just in case.
Hero 9 is best part of £400. The good thing about the Go Pros is that they are waterproof without the need for a case. I have an Olfi One Five but it needs a case which mutes the sound, no voice activation. The case also means more weight.
I have a chest harness but never use it, I use a clip instead with a 360 degree plate. I just clip to shoulder strap on back pack or my wader straps, jacket pocket flap. It will clip to peak on a cap but weight would be an issue pulling the peak lower than you may want for comfort. Head harness would mean having to reverse any peak cap so the peak doesn't impede the camera lens.
Something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123990194866?hash=item1cde643ab2:g:mJEAAOSwHt9d3iQc
There are peak clips for baseball caps but I'm not sure how secure they would be.

Reactions: dgp

bonefishblues

Go Pro Hero 9 is the latest model, does state it has voice activation but not found any reviews on how good, or bad it is. They have also improved the inbuilt mic recording which I believe was quite ropy in older models. Mic and sound recording isn't a strong feature of most action type cameras, external mics are needed which adds to cost and more gear to take. So you might need an external mike to get a camera to work better on voice command. Then the mic would need to be waterproof, just in case.
Hero 9 is best part of £400. The good thing about the Go Pros is that they are waterproof without the need for a case. I have an Olfi One Five but it needs a case which mutes the sound, no voice activation. The case also means more weight.
I have a chest harness but never use it, I use a clip instead with a 360 degree plate. I just clip to shoulder strap on back pack or my wader straps, jacket pocket flap. It will clip to peak on a cap but weight would be an issue pulling the peak lower than you may want for comfort. Head harness would mean having to reverse any peak cap so the peak doesn't impede the camera lens.
Something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123990194866?hash=item1cde643ab2:g:mJEAAOSwHt9d3iQc
There are peak clips for baseball caps but I'm not sure how secure they would be.
Let me take a flying guess.

For:
First class optics and functionality - new best in class.
Against:
Premium Price

...because the same could have been posted of any GoPro when released :)

OP, in your position I might be tempted to go for one of the Chinese lookalikes like this:

dgp

Let me take a flying guess.

For:
First class optics and functionality - new best in class.
Against:
Premium Price

...because the same could have been posted of any GoPro when released :)

OP, in your position I might be tempted to go for one of the Chinese lookalikes like this:

Many thanks for all the replies - much appreciated. Bfblues I like your suggestion. Am not needing quality optics just a photo for my own memories of a good fish. So a budget one like the one you suggest would seem ideal. Many thanks

Latest posts