anyone try the GR-60 yet

SirHarryLewis

Hello all,
New to this place. I actually fish in Ireland anyhow so Ill hope Im not thrown off.
I saw plenty of recommendations here for the Greys GR 50 #5. Unfortunately that ship has sailed and i cant get one of these anywhere now.
Some are trying to flog me the newer GR 60s.

Has anyone here tried it?

colliedog

Welcome. Glasgow Angling Centre were offering an ex display GR50s 8"6' and 9' #5 for £75 in their recent flier. Might be worth a call if you don't mind no bag or tube.

SirHarryLewis

Yeah, they cant be found anywhere. If anyone has an equally strong value recommendation, that would be great. I was also hoping to find a guideline fario somewhere on sale.

iainmortimer

I have a GR80 Streamflex which is great although from what I've been told its 'just' a GR60 with better fittings and so I'd say get the 60 with confidence. Mine was an upgrade from an XF2 which I broke but it is a much better rod at doing the same job.

SirHarryLewis

I have a GR80 Streamflex which is great although from what I've been told its 'just' a GR60 with better fittings and so I'd say get the 60 with confidence. Mine was an upgrade from an XF2 which I broke but it is a much better rod at doing the same job.
Cool, Ill give it a cast anyhow

Mrwayne

Gr60 is awesome. I have a 9ft #6 and it's powerful, really powerful. Casts a streamer with sinking line into wind no problem, and I am absolutely not a good power caster. Genuinely a great rod. Feels pretty similar to orvis recon imo but with less nice fittings. Not sure how it would be in smaller weights.

SirHarryLewis

Thanks for that. Yeah, generally most of my casting is circa 25 to 35 feet. Perhaps it wouldn't be as effect live then. I fish both the upper reaches of the liffey and the the river suir in South tipp. The latter is a degree bigger