Anyone turn handle inserts

Whinging pom

In my work I come across some interesting bits of wood from time to time. I’m not sure if it’s ideal but I have some quite thick prunings off a very large olive tree, they’ve been drying for years. I’ve used them for priests and for bill hooks. I’ve lately come across some seasoned bog oak , much of it has shakes but I’ve picked through and found some nice blocks about 8inches long x 5 x5 from dark brown/ grey to mostly deep ebony black. It’s rock hard and polishes up beautifully. If any one wants to try them I’m more than happy to send some through. If in some future date a little handle insert pops up in the post to cover the posts that would be a bonus, but not necessary. I’d just like to see them used.

Hardrar

In my work I come across some interesting bits of wood from time to time. I’m not sure if it’s ideal but I have some quite thick prunings off a very large olive tree, they’ve been drying for years. I’ve used them for priests and for bill hooks. I’ve lately come across some seasoned bog oak , much of it has shakes but I’ve picked through and found some nice blocks about 8inches long x 5 x5 from dark brown/ grey to mostly deep ebony black. It’s rock hard and polishes up beautifully. If any one wants to try them I’m more than happy to send some through. If in some future date a little handle insert pops up in the post to cover the posts that would be a bonus, but not necessary. I’d just like to see them used.
Bog oak is a fossil - won’t it be heavy and impossible to cut? We used to dynamite them out of fields so tractors can cultivate the land and then drag them away to waste ground(clearance cairns) as they are iron hard and won’t burn or can be cut up, it would be like trying to chainsaw through granite.
Maybe your source isn’t that old? We had some carbon dated at 400,000 plus years old.

Overmiwadrers

Bog oak is a fossil - won’t it be heavy and impossible to cut? We used to dynamite them out of fields so tractors can cultivate the land and then drag them away to waste ground(clearance cairns) as they are iron hard and won’t burn or can be cut up, it would be like trying to chainsaw through granite.
Maybe your source isn’t that old? We had some carbon dated at 400,000 plus years old.

Bog oak isnt a fossil. It is a few stages behind being a fossil. If timber especially oak is buried in peaty deposits with no oxygen then bacteria dont break it down and the tannin is altered in nature so it becomes very dark. Much as ammonia fumed oak in timber restoration , Bog oak is still timber and a very beautiful colour. Although it does take the edge of tools fairly quickly. If you had it carbon dated surely that means it wasnt fossilised?. Also I didnt think Carbon dating can work beyond 50000 yrs anyway ,

O M W

Whinging pom

Thanks for replies . It does burn very very slowly It makes great firewood, but you need the fire hot before you put it on or it is a bit stinky when it’s smouldering. Local big oak is reckoned on being up to 7,000 years old.
As for working it. I started cleaning the Blocks with a rip saw it worked but it was going to take forever.
I used a small ( sharp!) Sorby axe and then a hand plane, I can’t say it was any worse on the blade than normal seasoned oak , you just have to back the iron off like working end grain. I did a bit of chisel work just to see if it would be good for hand carving . It’s tough and it’s tempting to grab a mallet, but it didn’t put me off having a go in future and start considering some projects.
People used to carve intricate little brooches out of it and vanity mirrors. I went at weekend to see an open day of a local sculpture called Barny Broadbent that works with it.
He Mentioned the tools problem too and said on some pieces he re wets it to carve it, but the down side of this is it shakes as it dries and he incorporates this into the piece. For smooth large pieces he uses hand grinders and rasps. The finish is beautiful.
yep it’s heavy but it’s not lead. I can’t imagine it would be much more than other hard woods used for reel seats. I’m looking forward to trying carving it in the close season and have no fear of a bit of extra strop work to keep a keen edge and I’m one of those people who enjoys sharpening tools 😬!
look at
barneybroadbent.com to see the guys work .

Hardrar

The Bog oaks I’ve removed we’re definitely fossilised and Rock hard, it depends on source as to how hard and what state of fossilisation has taken place and age they are.

JayP

Can you see the grain if so I could be interested?

Olive turns beautifully and smells devine when worked

IMG_20210415_112200_764.jpg

Whinging pom

The grain is visible just like in old polished oak. I will photograph some today and post it .... I’ve not successfully up loaded a photo on here for many years ... is it still photobucket ? I did try to put one on from the phone but the quality was woeful

Latest posts