Anyone use Asso fluoro?

len1

Had 8lb. Fulling Mill break off on me. Guy fishing along the bank commiserated and said he swore by the above. Any opinions?
Len

JCP

I believe Asso was a coated product.Not heard any detrimental reports.I have some but never used it.Have given to friends and no complaints.I thought Fulling Mill was pretty nigh bullet proof.How old is the tippet you have as have not made 8lb for years ?

PaulD

I use Asso fluorocarbon, bought from SKB at stated 8lb or so BS and I find it very reliable, never had a problem with it at all.

I'd be interested to know where your 'breaks' occurred, at the hook, leader knots or connection with the fly line?

wobbly face

It's Japanese and expensive. I stopped using it as I couldn't get hold of the diameter/breaking strain I wanted (SKB sold out at the time). As other have posted, it's good stuff. Should be for the price.

diawl bach

Thought it best to delete that!

len1

It might be two years since I bought the Fulling Mil. The spool is about finished. Been good on the whole but broken off twice. Once at Menteith when a rainbow came out like a rocket after one of Cap ‘n’ Fishy’s style mayflies and the other day at Newton while playing a big fish. No pig tails. Think line just snapped.

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
It might be two years since I bought the Fulling Mil. The spool is about finished. Been good on the whole but broken off twice. Once at Menteith when a rainbow came out like a rocket after one of Cap ‘n’ Fishy’s style mayflies and the other day at Newton while playing a big fish. No pig tails. Think line just snapped.
That can happen with all types, as before, is usually a bad knot or wind knot, which does cut straight through, no piggy tails.
With flouro two years old on spool does not really matter, I would not loose faith in the product, given you have used right up to the end of the spool!

running bear

I had a 6lb spool of fulling mill many years ago that snapped like cotton, repeatedly, tested it against another 6lb spool I had and the second spoool was fine. Also tested versus the 3lb and 4lb FM, and the two lighter lines were breaking at higher force than the 6lb, so definitely a dodgy spool.
Currently on berkely, which appears to be underrated, and is much stronger than the spool claims, although with a fairly hefty diamete it should be.

Latest posts