Are Rio having a laugh?

BobP

It's a marketing strategy that certainly works, keeping the price inflated appears to make people believe there getting something special, specially fkd imo give me a maxcatch at 1/10th the price anytime but each to there own.

Al
Only if you have fished every make of line in every size and profile would you be qualified to make that statement, so how many hours have you fished with Rio lines? I don't fish with Rio lines or leaders for that matter, but I don't use Maxcrap products either.

mrnotherone

I guess they appeal to those who always think best equates to highest price. Sometimes it does, but often not.

Most of the lines I use are very good and they do what I ask of them, so I'm curious as to what else I would get if I spent £120 ? I'm not curious enough to find out though.

haggstock

The lines are primarily produced not for the poor old UK , we are just a secondary take it or leave it market .
The USA is the most leisure/ sport orientated market in the world and there are enough customers who will spend telephone numbers on their hobbies to support such products . Fair play to them , after all if they didn’t do all the R&D where would the Chinese steal all the intellectual property from ..

Elwyman

They make Cortland and Snowbee lines seem cheap, and these are both excellent lines. I also use a Rio Gold which is a fine line, think I paid £60 a few years ago, and I thought that was a bit pricey. To be fair, the Rio lines are durable as well.

original cormorant

Only if you have fished every make of line in every size and profile would you be qualified to make that statement, so how many hours have you fished with Rio lines? I don't fish with Rio lines or leaders for that matter, but I don't use Maxcrap products either.
Isn't that a bit of pot calling kettle black? How many hours have you spent fishing maxcatch lines before labelling them maxcrap?

tangled

It's because they can. If you want to appear to have the best line in the market it also has to be expensive.
They also have to pay for all that expensive marketing.

speytime

glueman

The lines are primarily produced not for the poor old UK , we are just a secondary take it or leave it market .
The USA is the most leisure/ sport orientated market in the world and there are enough customers who will spend telephone numbers on their hobbies to support such products . Fair play to them , after all if they didn’t do all the R&D where would the Chinese steal all the intellectual property from ..
Worth finding out how much it is in the USA probably no where near UK price

JCP

Scientific Anglers are also top end of the scale and deservedly so.Always argy bargy over this and why always gauls me.We pays your money and takes our choice otherwise many of these fly line companies would be out of business.I must say I have tried a few comparisons and for me they don't compare favourably.Suffice to say my preference and plenty use other makes which they are happy with.Some would not consider paying top dollar for a fly line on principle which again is their personal choice.When someone asks as they often do for a recommendation price more often than not clouds the issue before performance. Maxcatch is a mystery for me how they do it and I guess will remain that way until I cast one.It is good there is a wide choice enabling a more try it and see approach to experience fly fishing.I watched a Youtube video which showed a first timer with a low budget set up fly fishing for bass and catching in a west country estuary.Brilliant and long may it remain so.

JP

Last edited:

Elwyman

Maxcrap Maxcrap every time, let's all support the chinese tackle industry.
And watch ours go down the pan. :mad:
I think that boat has sailed. I have a lot of UK tackle, particularly Hardys as I was born in Northumberland. When I last looked at the Hardy web site I was quite shocked to see how their tackle range has reduced massively.