Are Rio having a laugh?

Tangled

They're creating a premium brand. "Reassuringly expensive".

It's a tricky proposition because no-one can see what the line is and be envious. It'll probably have to ship with a Rio baseball cap just so that other people can know.

Paul_B

My last solar controller came from America and with post and tax was still far cheaper than the same ones from Germany, this was a couple of years go.

not fishing I know but its food for thought

Dingbat

Total rubbish! As far back as I can remember, and long before the EU was invented let alone Brexit, the price of American tackle costing xx dollars was the equivalent in pounds by the time it got here. The kit has to be shipped here, there are customs dues to pay, import taxes and VAT - purchase tax in those days. Or do you think the Yanks should just give us the stuff for free?

It all comes down to the same thing. If you don't like the price of something stop bleating about it and go & buy a Chinese knock-off. See what change you get out of them when it falls apart.

Come on - I can get a RIO LT for 110 CHF which is - wait for it - 90 quid. I can get the perception for 100 € which is - wait for it - 90 quid. both duty paid and both from a quick internet search. In the UK I have to pay 120 quid for it? What precisely is the added value here? was it blessed by Her Majesty personally?

Hardrar

I’ve a few Aquanova (Northern sport) made in Canada- good quality choice of colours.
Scierra and Aircel, both great lines, way under Rio.

pentlandflyman

They don't pluck a figure out the air, if its £120 it's because thats what they need to sell it for to cover research, manufacturing and advertising costs and make a bit of a profit. Buy what you want and can afford and don't worry about what the guy next to you is using.

Funny some folk moaning about it are buying/using top end rods and reels and paying £20 for a spool of tippet, what's the difference ?

If they have used new technology and materials we will all benefit eventually as they become cheaper to use and manufacture just like carbon rods and breathable waders.

mrnotherone

They don't pluck a figure out the air, if its £120 it's because thats what they need to sell it for to cover research, manufacturing and advertising costs and make a bit of a profit. Buy what you want and can afford and don't worry about what the guy next to you is using.

Funny some folk moaning about it are buying/using top end rods and reels and paying £20 for a spool of tippet, what's the difference ?

If they have used new technology and materials we will all benefit eventually as they become cheaper to use and manufacture just like carbon rods and breathable waders.

Unless you have worked for Rio, it's a bit naive to assume to know their pricing strategy. Are Rio's products cutting edge and full of innovation? Do you really think there is just "a bit of profit" in a £120 line?

Most consumer manufacturers will charge as much as they think they can get away with to sell a certain volume. If Rio are selling as many lines at this price as they need to - good luck to them. I don't believe their lines are 50% better than some very good others.

BobP

Most consumer manufacturers will charge as much as they think they can get away with to sell a certain volume. If Rio are selling as many lines at this price as they need to - good luck to them. I don't believe their lines are 50% better than some very good others.
Then buy one of the others and stop bleating on about how much Rio are charging for one of their fly lines. I would suggest that there are more important things in life at present than this pointless thread.

Reg Wyatt

Then buy one of the others and stop bleating on about how much Rio are charging for one of their fly lines. I would suggest that there are more important things in life at present than this pointless thread.
More important things to discuss on a fly fishing forum than the price of a fly line? How does that work BobP and why is it pointless?

Reg Wyatt

PaulD

If you don't like the price then you are in a position of power . . . don't buy it. I doubt that Rio will be too bothered though, they've clearly got enough customers around the World who are happy to pay what their lines 'cost' in their country.

Reg Wyatt

If you don't like the price then you are in a position of power . . . don't buy it. I doubt that Rio will be too bothered though,
They most certainly will be very bothered if enough people don't buy it. Like you say PaulD, if people don't like it they should use their position of power and call out rip off prices that are all too readily seen in the fly fishing industry.

Reg Wyatt

mrnotherone

No need to be such a **** Bob. I'm not bleating about anything. Just contributing to a thread like everyone else. If you're not interested......sod off !

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
Rio will be selling their lines to each, and every retailer, at exactly the same price, on volume orders, in USA dollars.
Currency conversion, countrys taxes, and retailer mark up then kicks in.
Aint Rio's fault is a seemingly massive price difference in their products!

original cormorant

Funny, if you visit the NAmerica forum you will see three main types of observation on Rio: great tapers and lines cracking and the coating stripping off. Price also comes up but tends to be dismissed as you don't have to buy if you don't like the price.
Now on here we all know that Maxcatch have very similar tapers and I don't recall comments on the Maxcatch thead that complain about coating stripping off or cracking. If Airflo lines cracked and the coating peeled off you would never hear the end of it.
In spite of quality and price issues US anglers support Rio because it's an all american business.

sean freeman

I have to agree with the above, Rio come out with great tapers but the quality isn’t what it was. I much prefer SA now but I still buy Rio lines for some rods that seem to prefer them, if I get two seasons of heavy use from them I’m happy.

I’m not fond of the blatant copies marketed by Maxcatch, they may be excellent for the money but I’d rather not buy knock offs from a faceless corporation. People also knock Airflo but I’ve been impressed with their recent lines.

Scotty Mitchell

As I said at the start of the thread I bought a new Rio Gold.
It’s absolutely not better than the old Gold, or an XS for that matter, both these are still my favourite lines.
However, if they were to release another line, at say £150, and I fancied it, it buy it and try it.
I don’t care who makes what out of it and why, and I don’t care if it cost a fiver to make. I can easily afford it and enjoy spending money on fishing stuff I feel is important to my enjoyment.
I’ve yet to be let down by Rio or Snowbee, but have been let down by almost every budget brand I have tried in one way or another.
Value is totally subjective.
I’m sure Maxcatch copies are ok, people I respect a lot use them and are happy, but I have an aversion to Chinese gear and try my very best not to give them money or encouragement.

BobP

As I said at the start of the thread I bought a new Rio Gold.
It’s absolutely not better than the old Gold, or an XS for that matter, both these are still my favourite lines.
However, if they were to release another line, at say £150, and I fancied it, it buy it and try it.
I don’t care who makes what out of it and why, and I don’t care if it cost a fiver to make. I can easily afford it and enjoy spending money on fishing stuff I feel is important to my enjoyment.
I’ve yet to be let down by Rio or Snowbee, but have been let down by almost every budget brand I have tried in one way or another.
Value is totally subjective.
I’m sure Maxcatch copies are ok, people I respect a lot use them and are happy, but I have an aversion to Chinese gear and try my very best not to give them money or encouragement.

Couldn't agree more and especially with the last sentence.

BobP

More important things to discuss on a fly fishing forum than the price of a fly line? How does that work BobP and why is it pointless?

Reg Wyatt
I do not see the point of people working themselves up into a hissy fit over the price of a fly line, rod, reel, waders, boots, car or anything else for that matter that they aren't going to buy anyway. And does being a fly fishing forum preclude looking at what is going on out in the big wide world? Rather more important than the price of a fly line and should be of concern to us all. Don't for one minute think that a few people here not buying the line is going to bother Rio one jot. They sell millions world-wide. We're just a decimal point on the bottom line.