Are Rio having a laugh?

Reg Wyatt

And does being a fly fishing forum preclude looking at what is going on out in the big wide world? Rather more important than the price of a fly line and should be of concern to us all.
No idea what your point is? People comment on the price of a fly line on a fly fishing forum. You immediately accuse them of talking rubbish and 'bleating.' Now you move on to world happenings? You don't have to justify rip off within the fly fishing industry, we all get it. Nobody is forcing anything, it's a discussion, no need to be so precious Bob.

Reg Wyatt

fishingoap

After over 60 years of fly fishing trying many different types of line the best one I have found has been the Sunray Proline casts well and as straight as a die.

Scotty Mitchell

. . . or the fact that the Sunray Proline 4 wt is 9.5g at 30ft and is heavier than the standard for a 5 wt (9.07g) at the same distance. The 5wt is nearly twice as heavy at 40ft - 17g.
This is what I meant by “Snake Oil” the Sunray lunatic is the Angling version of the Snake Oil salesman.
If someone finds they like his lines, they will get the same results from any line, bought 2 sized heavy.
It’s not rocket science, and it’s not honest either, to sell a #7 as a #5.

PaulD

Likewise, Bob. I can’t see why folk are in floods of tears about the price of a fly line.
I must have missed the “Mandatory Purchase” email.

On the 'Understanding Fly Lines' thread, I posted a scan from the 1934 Hardy's Anglers' Guide, which showed their Filip Line at the cost of 35/- (£1 75p for the younger reader!). Today, using an inflation calculator, that's the equivalent of £127. Rather knocks into the hat, rosey 'the old days were better' spectacles.

JRT

On the 'Understanding Fly Lines' thread, I posted a scan from the 1934 Hardy's Anglers' Guide, which showed their Filip Line at the cost of 35/- (£1 75p for the younger reader!). Today, using an inflation calculator, that's the equivalent of £127. Rather knocks into the hat, rosey 'the old days were better' spectacles.

Whilst this is undoubtably true, iIn 1934 we didn't have the modern mass production capabilities that we have today. The fact that they were charging £80rrp only 3 or so years ago is the key thing.

Tangled

It's totally market positioning and nothing else. 'Look at us, we're jolly expensive; for you only the very best will do.'

Because you're worth it.

PaulD

Whilst this is undoubtably true, iIn 1934 we didn't have the modern mass production capabilities that we have today. The fact that they were charging £80rrp only 3 or so years ago is the key thing.

The same Bank of England Inflation Calculator shows the equivalent to have been £119.05 in 2017 . . . you were getting them at a discount!

Dingbat

The question is what brings out the performance of the rod - the line or the reel.

We are used to the price gradient from rod->reel->line but actually the line does more for the activity than the reel which is nice to look at when you are not catching anything.

With that logic a 40 pound woolworth's reel and a 250 pound line look cheap.

Tangled

You really are painfully tedious.
I can’t understand your relentless crying about lines you won’t ever buy.
Change the fkkng record.

Just in case you didn't read the title of the thread it's

"Are Rio having a laugh"

and the OP is of the opinion that they are

"£120 for a trout fly line!
A £14 Maxcatch line seems better value, or a Cortland at less than half price."

So guess what we do on a thread like that? Well, we talk about whether RIO lines are worth £120. Some will think yes, others no.

If you're easily offended by those suggesting that they might indeed be 'having a laugh' I suggest you read another thread otherwise you'll wind yourself up into a right old state.

Calm down dear, it's only a fishing forum.

matt808

Only used Rio Golds (both pre - owned but like new) they're good, but no better than my £30 Barrios.
Having two different colours on a line is just distracting rather than helpful though, I'd prefer the Rio if it was just olive, in fact I'd rather have it all yellow instead of olive/yellow

BobP

Are Rio having a laugh? They surely are if they can be bothered to read all this. 219 posts now, mostly from those who never have, and never will, buy a Rio fly line all complaining bitterly about the price of something they have no intention of buying. Has there ever been a more pointless and pathetic thread?