Are Rio having a laugh?

andygrey

I seem to remember 3M Scientific Anglers made a textured finished fly line called 'Sharkskin'. Similar claims were made that the textured surface reduced friction and aided casting............
I never used one, but I was fishing a Hampshire stillwater a few years back, and someone was using one there. It could be heard from a long way off, the noise was HORRENDOUS!!!!!
I remember thinking to myself at the time that it couldn't have been doing the snake rings any good.
I've yet to be convinced about the benefits of textured lines. Apart from the fact that reducing surface area doesn't reduce friction, if they make a noise, this must be taking energy out of the line.

m r roid

I've yet to be convinced about the benefits of textured lines. Apart from the fact that reducing surface area doesn't reduce friction, if they make a noise, this must be taking energy out of the line.
Another case of 'The Emperors New Clothes' Plenty of that in fly fishing kit 😊😊😊

ohanzee

riogrand king

Another case of 'The Emperors New Clothes' Plenty of that in fly fishing kit 😊😊😊
The early Scientific Angler "Sharkskin" lines were abominations.

It is good to be skeptical, but let me relate a rambling little story....
A few years ago my fly shop owner friend fished lent me his outfit to cast while we were fishing Hebgen Lake near West Yellowstone. The line he was using threw extremely well and made nary a sound at least to my artillery ears. It was a prototype for the "textured" series lines now offered by both Orvis and Orvis owned Scientific Anglers. Both lines now sell for $129 here in the States. Outraged?

Last spring I traded in a rod that wasn't seeing any use to aid in the purchase of an Orvis PRO series WF6. Best floating line I've ever owned !

Years ago Air Cell Supremes were the ultimate floating lines. Cortland started the price escalation when they brought out their 444s accompanied with the sales pitch "What sort of ***** would pay $17.50 for a fly line?". None of us are happy with how that progressed. I fish quite a bit and currently own many lines from Airflo, SA, Cortland, and Rio. IMO the new textured lines from SA and Orvis are the ones worth suffering the initial purchase pain.

Scotty Mitchell

The early Scientific Angler "Sharkskin" lines were abominations.

It is good to be skeptical, but let me relate a rambling little story....
A few years ago my fly shop owner friend fished lent me his outfit to cast while we were fishing Hebgen Lake near West Yellowstone. The line he was using threw extremely well and made nary a sound at least to my artillery ears. It was a prototype for the "textured" series lines now offered by both Orvis and Orvis owned Scientific Anglers. Both lines now sell for $129 here in the States. Outraged?

Last spring I traded in a rod that wasn't seeing any use to aid in the purchase of an Orvis PRO series WF6. Best floating line I've ever owned !

Years ago Air Cell Supremes were the ultimate floating lines. Cortland started the price escalation when they brought out their 444s accompanied with the sales pitch "What sort of ***** would pay $17.50 for a fly line?". None of us are happy with how that progressed. I fish quite a bit and currently own many lines from Airflo, SA, Cortland, and Rio. IMO the new textured lines from SA and Orvis are the ones worth suffering the initial purchase pain.
People who won’t buy the lines you recommend, will be along shortly to cry about their price. Enjoy 😃

MichaelLewis

For fly lines, I find Wulff lines are excellent & half the price of Rio. I had a Rio line once - forgot what it was called, but the fly line landed like a 747 at Heathrow. Snowbee are good and less expensive still, but your floating line will be a midge tip after a couple of seasons. I have a Pheonix silk fly line - very nice, I think Rio are in a spot where I wonder if its worth it - 120 - might as well go the whole hog and get that silk fly line for a one off, or get a line like Wulff etc..

I do wonder about the price and if its just to entice people by suggesting superiority. But all firms do that - I remember a few years ago: we all had to rush out and buy single handed spey rods (not the switch rods of course, they were completely different) as a compliment to the Tenkara rod that we all had to switch to.

(as an aside , I used to post regularly but 'lost' my old email, anyone know if its possible to 'retrieve' your old account in those circumstances?)

Scotty Mitchell

For fly lines, I find Wulff lines are excellent & half the price of Rio. I had a Rio line once - forgot what it was called, but the fly line landed like a 747 at Heathrow. Snowbee are good and less expensive still, but your floating line will be a midge tip after a couple of seasons. I have a Pheonix silk fly line - very nice, I think Rio are in a spot where I wonder if its worth it - 120 - might as well go the whole hog and get that silk fly line for a one off, or get a line like Wulff etc..

I do wonder about the price and if its just to entice people by suggesting superiority. But all firms do that - I remember a few years ago: we all had to rush out and buy single handed spey rods (not the switch rods of course, they were completely different) as a compliment to the Tenkara rod that we all had to switch to.

(as an aside , I used to post regularly but 'lost' my old email, anyone know if its possible to 'retrieve' your old account in those circumstances?)
It wasn’t the Rio midge tip with the yellow floating section and clear midge tip you had was it?
I had one also, used it twice, once just to make sure, then my mate took it off me against my advice.
It was as though a hammer had fallen from the sky!!

green man

I like and trust Rio lines. Gold and Technical Trout, or whatever it's now called. Having tried SA, Wulff and a load of other makes, I can no longer be bothered buying anything else. If you shop around you can get them for around £60.00. A dry fly line lasts me for 3-4 years, so even £100.00 isn't too bad... I dare not stop and think how much more my daily paper costs over that time.