Are Rio having a laugh?

Fuffa

I guess they appeal to those who always think best equates to highest price. Sometimes it does, but often not.

Most of the lines I use are very good and they do what I ask of them, so I'm curious as to what else I would get if I spent £120 ? I'm not curious enough to find out though.
I still fish only occasionally with 25yr old Cortland Hardy...plus some mill ends . I bought an extra distance a few years ago for local lake . If I did a lot the lines wear more and I would replace if doing serious fishing. Is the bigger picture that fly fishing tackle is at the top of the bell curve....and advance is becoming so incremental that the research testing and manufacture of anyting improved is so costly to do so . For a retirement present I might buy a £400 rod but certainly those at new price 800plus for a performance that might be fractionally better I would not consider. For a new concept I would wait until proven by customer review as it is easy to become tempted by hypebole and over enthusisam although probably most people have some amount of cynicsm and wait for genuine reviews. A tackle company making a dud could be rare and of course once a dud is made the company is at risk if at least embaressment unless it has enough of a reputation to withstand that.

I myself somehow do not believe that there are many immediately possible new magic taper or materials formulae that can be called transformational.......maybe a decade or two later. But one never knows. I wonder if there is a return or consolidation to stick with cane old and new glass which confirms the traditionalism of fly fishing rather than the high falutin technocrat buy the latest syndrome. Notice how tackle is advertised as professional ..technical etc ....hopefully not implying that those who do not join in are a kind of underclass of fly fisherman .

2306chris

Unfortunately I succumbed to the Rio recommendation....once. I was buying a rod and reel in a very well known retailer in Cumbria when I was told they (rod and reel) would perform at the optimum if I used their recommendation of a Rio Gold. In my opinion the line performed well but at that stage of my learning I don't think I was in a position to differentiate and the money would certainly have been better spent on casting instruction.
Guide Fly Fishing (who distribute Rio, Sage, Vision etc.in the UK) do an excellent marketing job and must have a good relationship with most of the biggest retailers as Rio seem to be strongly recommended. I actually think they are good lines but I now predominantly use Barrio which I find very good and still around the £30 mark.
A good friend of mine recently purchased a fly outfit for the first time and was told the same, you need a Rio Gold line! Yes, he succumbed as well!

BobP

So, why should we be expected to pay £449 for a fly tying vice? Will anyone tie better flies as a result? I doubt it. Are Waldron having a laugh? No-one should buy anything other than the Regent vice from Veniard at £20.

And by the by, speytime, that is a libellous statement which could easily attract serious repercussions.

Cap'n Fishy

I think that boat has sailed. I have a lot of UK tackle, particularly Hardys as I was born in Northumberland. When I last looked at the Hardy web site I was quite shocked to see how their tackle range has reduced massively.
I have a Hardy's rod. It was made in South Korea.

thetrouttickler

And by the by, speytime, that is a libellous statement which could easily attract serious repercussions.
Truth is one of the defences to libel Bob! It does appear by your own words that you do use "Maxcrap" products ;)

But I'm with you on the economics point. The market determines the price. Rio sells at that price because enough people pay it for them to make a profit. No benefit in whinging about the price of something you have no intention of purchasing.

Elwyman

I have a Hardy's rod. It was made in South Korea.
So have I, two in fact!
I have a couple of UK made reels, a net, a wading vest, all made in the UK about 20 years ago.
Sadly, it's the same story throughout most of British industry, as you already know.

haggstock

Worth finding out how much it is in the USA probably no where near UK price
$120 dollars , plus sales tax at the shop, say 10% = $132 that’s about £100 . j

Our tax is 20% so we’ve another 10% plus a few percent tarrif plus The cost of the distributor getting the stuff over here as well .

Anyhow when The Donald gives us a really great trade deal , we’ll probably be able to get one free with every chlorinated chicken .

glueman

$120 dollars , plus sales tax at the shop, say 10% = $132 that’s about £100 . j

Our tax is 20% so we’ve another 10% plus a few percent tarrif plus The cost of the distributor getting the stuff over here as well .

Anyhow when The Donald gives us a really great trade deal , we’ll probably be able to get one free with every chlorinated chicken .
Actually found that price $120 on the net but it was in Canada and Canadian Dollars IE about £69

Rob Edmunds

Well here's my opinion, by someone who was a member of the "Rio Masters" team a few years ago along with Graham Person, Ronnie Gent, Lee Henfry etc .....

We were sponsored jointly by Guide Fly-Fishing and Rio in the USA for approximately 6 years....so we got a complete set of the freshwater Rio lines each year along with prototypes etc to test and feed back on

This included Rio Gold, Rio Windcutter, Rio Midge Tip ( all types) , Rio Outbound , Rio Sinkers etc.....and Rio Flurocarbon and Mono....

Rio always have been expensive, The Rio Gold is an excellent floater... it was and still is one of the best floaters on the market......would I buy one ????...

No.....not worth it in my opinion, I'd sooner buy 3 Cortland 444's as there are 99% as good.

Rio produced the first ever "Midge Tip" and it was the only line of this type for about 2 years when first released. It was originally supposed to be for deep buzzer fishing ( which it is good for) but it's now synonymous with the "washing line " method.....so Rio should be congratulated for forward thinking regarding the product.

Would I buy one now.....?? No too expensive and Airflo now do a better range ( ie 3ft mini tip, 12ft slow tip and 6ft fast tip are essential if your a serious match angler).

Even back then when we were given Rio Sinkers and the Rio Outbound lines ( Rio's version of the 40+) .... we never actually used them as Airflo produce the best sinkers and sinking line range on the market- this is without question........all our ended up being sold cheap to friends or on Ebay

Rio Outbound lines are nice and cast well but are too short ( compared to an Airflo 40+).... you can cast the whole line and backing - we fed this back but Rio wouldn't lengthen them just for the UK market it would cost to much apparently.

I'm not knocking Rio, they make very good products especially the floaters, but for me they are far too expensive when compared to other lines on the market.....We could never get a Rio Gold or Midge Tip to last more than a season...

Rio do have a different marketing strategy compared to most ( ie price high and be seen to be elite) but its also got a little to do with the exchange rate against the US dollar

kerryjordan

Well here's my opinion, by someone who was a member of the "Rio Masters" team a few years ago along with Graham Person, Ronnie Gent, Lee Henfry etc .....

We were sponsored jointly by Guide Fly-Fishing and Rio in the USA for approximately 6 years....so we got a complete set of the freshwater Rio lines each year along with prototypes etc to test and feed back on

This included Rio Gold, Rio Windcutter, Rio Midge Tip ( all types) , Rio Outbound , Rio Sinkers etc.....and Rio Flurocarbon and Mono....

Rio always have been expensive, The Rio Gold is an excellent floater... it was and still is one of the best floaters on the market......would I buy one ????...

No.....not worth it in my opinion, I'd sooner buy 3 Cortland 444's as there are 99% as good.

Rio produced the first ever "Midge Tip" and it was the only line of this type for about 2 years when first released. It was originally supposed to be for deep buzzer fishing ( which it is good for) but it's now synonymous with the "washing line " method.....so Rio should be congratulated for forward thinking regarding the product.

Would I buy one now.....?? No too expensive and Airflo now do a better range ( ie 3ft mini tip, 12ft slow tip and 6ft fast tip are essential if your a serious match angler).

Even back then when we were given Rio Sinkers and the Rio Outbound lines ( Rio's version of the 40+) .... we never actually used them as Airflo produce the best sinkers and sinking line range on the market- this is without question........all our ended up being sold cheap to friends or on Ebay

Rio Outbound lines are nice and cast well but are too short ( compared to an Airflo 40+).... you can cast the whole line and backing - we fed this back but Rio wouldn't lengthen them just for the UK market it would cost to much apparently.

I'm not knocking Rio, they make very good products especially the floaters, but for me they are far too expensive when compared to other lines on the market.

Rio do have a different marketing strategy compared to most ( ie price high and be seen to be elite) but its also got a little to do with the exchange rate against the US dollar
Veblen goods

Latest posts