Are Rio having a laugh?

BobP

Truth is one of the defences to libel Bob! It does appear by your own words that you do use "Maxcrap" products ;)
Actually I do not. I HAVE used their leaders in the past, but have found better since. I have no Maxcatch products of any description and have not used any for the whole of this season. Furthermore, I have no intention of using their products in the foreseeable future. So, I have not lied, I am not by nature a liar. There is a difference in what I USED to use and what I DO use. An apology might be acceptable, but I doubt any of you will have the decency.

speytime

Actually I do not. I HAVE used their leaders in the past, but have found better since. I have no Maxcatch products of any description and have not used any for the whole of this season. Furthermore, I have no intention of using their products in the foreseeable future. So, I have not lied, I am not by nature a liar. There is a difference in what I USED to use and what I DO use. An apology might be acceptable, but I doubt any of you will have the decency.
Apologies and decency aren't strong points of yours Bob, I have no problem with apologies when I'm in the wrong unlike you.

Scotty Mitchell

Only if you have fished every make of line in every size and profile would you be qualified to make that statement, so how many hours have you fished with Rio lines? I don't fish with Rio lines or leaders for that matter, but I don't use Maxcrap products either.
Didn't you buy their tapered leaders for your guiding?

Ignore, already been done.

Scotty Mitchell

I'll be buying one to give it a blast. I can wreck snowbee XS on a year. I'd be happy with a couple of years out of a £120 line I suppose.
I value my fishing time extremely highly and also very much like spending lots of my hard earned money on myself on the very odd occasion. This seems like a worthy occasion. 😁

Mrtrout

I can never understand why some folks completely slag something off without trying it first?
Ive used and still have some SA lines, Cortland, had Rios, Snowbee, Barrios, but I can honestly say when the day comes to dispose of them they will all be replaced with Maxcatch Gold lines.
Dont knock it till you’ve tried it.
S.

sean freeman

For me it’s a personal choice. I’m happy to pay for a line not made in a third world country or by someone earning a £1 a day. Rio, SA, Sage etc will be paying workers a fair salary with a pension plan and possibly healthcare. I’d sooner see it in their pockets than another faceless Chinese corporation. The big brands are popular because they make good products and you can see that every member of the team is a keen fisherman. I could name a fair few of the designers and big wigs at these companies and I’m sure other could too, not the case with Maxcatch.

With Maxcatch it just feels like there is no passion and all they want to do is undercut the market until they are the only ones left. The local tackle shop as a way of selling gear to the consumer is already on its last legs, soon it will be all online and that is down to us as the consumers. I’m only in my mid/late 20’s and even since I started fishing as a kid I’ve seen my local tackle shops go one by one, others reduced to half their size and those that are left are a shadow of their former selves.

I work hard and do crazy shifts for my money so I’m more than happy to piss some of it away on the latest and greatest as long as they are there to keep producing stuff for tackle tarts like me!

Rob Edmunds

I guess I'm fortunate to have used a lot of lines over the years.

Rio Gold is a fantastic floater....but if you fish regularly say once or twice a week you will only get a season out of it

Saying that any brand of floater only lasts me a year before I decide that its performance isn't good enough so need a new one..

I always carry 3 floaters when match fishing basically they have different jobs depending on the method and conditions, but for the last 6 years I have used both Cortland 444 or Airflo Superflo ( superdri)

I also have and use Maxcatch Gold for my clients and it's a very good line, especially for the price...

Cap'n Fishy

they will all be replaced with Maxcatch Gold lines.
I'm eagerly awaiting delivery of my first one. 👍

A mate of mine used to have a tackle shop. A guy in the tackle industry told him that all fly lines cost a couple of quid to make and after that it's all marketing and yer Veblen goods and all that stuff.

It's kind of the opposite of high-end software apps such as Photoshop. They will sell you the full version for so many quid, or sell you a LE (limited edition) version for less money. But all they do at their end is disable some of the features on the full version before they sell it to you. They are basically calling you a cheapskate! :whistle:

With fly lines, they are starting at the cheapskate level and then seeing what people are prepared to pay for them to look like they are not a cheapskate. 🤭

Col

Mrtrout

For me it’s a personal choice. I’m happy to pay for a line not made in a third world country or by someone earning a £1 a day. Rio, SA, Sage etc will be paying workers a fair salary with a pension plan and possibly healthcare. I’d sooner see it in their pockets than another faceless Chinese corporation. The big brands are popular because they make good products and you can see that every member of the team is a keen fisherman. I could name a fair few of the designers and big wigs at these companies and I’m sure other could too, not the case with Maxcatch.

With Maxcatch it just feels like there is no passion and all they want to do is undercut the market until they are the only ones left. The local tackle shop as a way of selling gear to the consumer is already on its last legs, soon it will be all online and that is down to us as the consumers. I’m only in my mid/late 20’s and even since I started fishing as a kid I’ve seen my local tackle shops go one by one, others reduced to half their size and those that are left are a shadow of their former selves.

I work hard and do crazy shifts for my money so I’m more than happy to piss some of it away on the latest and greatest as long as they are there to keep producing stuff for tackle tarts like me!
I can understand a lot of what you say Sean but, so many of the big names like Hardy Loop, and Orvis are having their products made in the Far East.
Lets take just one small product a pair of line nippers that Loop have produced over there, RRP from Loop £34.95.
EXACTLY the same nippers, no doubt produced by Maxcatch for Loop are
£12, nearly 2/3rds less and free delivery?
i too like my expensive gear, top end reels being my weakness, and some rods, but it does make me cringe a little at times when I see a new Hardy reel for £450 and it was only designed in the UK, not built.
Who's the real exploiter there?
S.

thetrouttickler

Does anyone know where the so called Big Brands are made. Probably in the same factory as all the others. Trainers are a typical product made for peanuts sold for a vast profit.
According to Rio's website:

No matter what line family, price level or quality RIO fly line you choose, you can fish happy in the knowledge that every single fly line is made in our Idaho Falls facility – close to the banks of our premium testing grounds, the Henry’s Fork and the South Fork of the Snake in Idaho.

sean freeman

I can understand a lot of what you say Sean but, so many of the big names like Hardy Loop, and Orvis are having their products made in the Far East.
Lets take just one small product a pair of line nippers that Loop have produced over there, RRP from Loop £34.95.
EXACTLY the same nippers, no doubt produced by Maxcatch for Loop are
£12, nearly 2/3rds less and free delivery?
i too like my expensive gear, top end reels being my weakness, and some rods, but it does make me cringe a little at times when I see a new Hardy reel for £450 and it was only designed in the UK, not built.
Who's the real exploiter there?
S.
I can see your point with Hardy, I begrudgingly bought their smuggler (great rod) as it was the best on the market and I can’t find one western company that makes one. I’m tempted to order one from Mike McFarland.
Apparently the workers rights are miles better in South Korea though as well as the quality control, they’re still not afforded the same lifestyle as us but it’s better than China.

I buy everything I can from brands who produce their gear in the West now, obviously there will be exceptions with the likes of mono and waders but for the most part I’m happy to support the US domestic market as ours has withered away. I did actually buy my Abel SDF from Airflo who will have taken their cut so happy to support a welsh company in the process.

In regards to the the loon nippers I wouldn’t buy either, I’ll stick with my tarty Abel ones! 😂

glueman

Sean you can buy nippers in pound shops that work well so you can get a dozen and dump them when blunt for the prize of say Loon, only difference is they are sold for finger nails

Uncas

I bought a Maxcatch Skagit line it cost 16.00 pounds plus postage.
I used it for a switch rod that has no grain/gram marking, it only say's 5/6 on the rod.
The skagit line is supposed to be 350gr it weighs 370gr, I previously bought a Snowbee switch line 5/6 for the rod cost 57.00 p&p it weighs only 300g, so it's far to light for the rod so wasted money.
I did not want to wast another 60.00 pound, so I bought a cheap maxcatch to chop down and find the correct weight for the rod, which is 340gr.
I will not be indulging in buying any more Chinese lines in future.
Mike Barrio lines for me from now on.

boisker

According to Rio's website:

No matter what line family, price level or quality RIO fly line you choose, you can fish happy in the knowledge that every single fly line is made in our Idaho Falls facility – close to the banks of our premium testing grounds, the Henry’s Fork and the South Fork of the Snake in Idaho.

SA & Cortland lines are all made in the US as well...
SA now owned by Orvis, with SA producing Orvis lines as well

original cormorant

I know that, Mayfly are obviously paying the wages of the local lads that work for Airflo. It can only be a good thing in my book as Mayfly will take them to new heights.
Maybe, but I think the idea is that airflo pay the dividends to those nice guys at Mayfly.

tenet

Barrio lines for me too - made in the UK by Northern Sports at their facility in Bromsgrove.
As said somewhere above, we really should try to boycott Chinese gear (difficult I know) especially post covid (and the jury is out on that one) and the appalling treatment to Hong Kong. I suspect an advertising theme of "Not made in China" for all types of goods would gain some traction.