Are Rio having a laugh?

haggstock

Actually found that price $120 on the net but it was in Canada and Canadian Dollars IE about £69
Nope , US Dollars , check the Chicago Fly Fishing Outfitters site . I looked there as I used to shop there as I frequently worked in the US in the last few years before I retired .

Paul_B

I do not have any maxcatch products.........ha but, what if they did buzzers and bubble floats :unsure:

I'm hopping my £10 windcutter line isn't too far away :)

I could have the Rio version for another hundred quid and watch Danny Kaye

sean freeman

Maybe, but I think the idea is that airflo pay the dividends to those nice guys at Mayfly.
I’m sure Mayfly will plough a fair few quid into Airflo as they have done with Abel and Ross. Prices might increase but the quality will too. They’re also setting up an Abel/Ross service centre here. Happy days as when my nippers need jaws they’ll be off to Wales and not Co.

lee71

It's because they can. If you want to appear to have the best line in the market it also has to be expensive.
They also have to pay for all that expensive marketing.
I use Maxcrap lines on my Atomsix and Hardy rods and tell everyone they're Rio golds, makes me look big and rich and classy as well. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

glueman

Nope , US Dollars , check the Chicago Fly Fishing Outfitters site . I looked there as I used to shop there as I frequently worked in the US in the last few years before I retired .
No it was a Canadian fishing shop quoting in Canadian dollars I can read it was a Canadian address on the contact us and a Canadian dial code

original cormorant

I’m sure Mayfly will plough a fair few quid into Airflo as they have done with Abel and Ross. Prices might increase but the quality will too. They’re also setting up an Abel/Ross service centre here. Happy days as when my nippers need jaws they’ll be off to Wales and not Co.
Mayfly may be aquiring tackle manufacturers as a vanity project and they would be fools if that's the case. I hope its not and that they are successful. It will be interesting to see which rod maker they get to own.

sean freeman

They do a couple of 40+ lines at £70 as part of their Superflo range but they were released before the acquisition. Most of their lines are under £50 still.

arawa

I was fishing a remote Highland loch today with a Tom Morgan rod, a Sage Click reel and a Scientific Anglers Amplitude line. By no means do I claim to be an expert angler but as I effortlessly cast beautiful loops with my dry fly floating gently down to the surface, I was absolutely happy. Worth every penny to me, and of course I do not claim expensive tackle catches more fish. To each his own.

mike fox

Elite gear for an elitist sport. :unsure: There are those that are happy to pay £300+ for a days sport on a chalk stream, and there are plenty of them. £120 for a fly line which could last a year is pocket money for those people. Supply and demand and i'll bet they'll sell. Not to me though.

original cormorant

I was fishing a remote Highland loch today with a Tom Morgan rod, a Sage Click reel and a Scientific Anglers Amplitude line. By no means do I claim to be an expert angler but as I effortlessly cast beautiful loops with my dry fly floating gently down to the surface, I was absolutely happy. Worth every penny to me, and of course I do not claim expensive tackle catches more fish. To each his own.
I'm glad you had a nice day but what's this got to do with the price of rio flylines

sean freeman

I think people a baulking at the price of the Rio line rather than the brand itself so Arawa is just saying there are people out there who enjoy using nice tackle, the SA line he is using is the same price as the Rio too so it’s pretty relevant. I wouldn’t criticise or call someone cheap for using a Shakespeare rod so why should anyone be criticised for using nicer gear, it’s just reverse snobbery.

atr

You name it and I've used it.50 years fly fishing next week and loved every minute of it. We use what we can afford in pursuit of that tug on the line. Kingfisher silk lines to £5 eBay lines to Rio's and everything else in between .It matters not a jot to price. It's what we do.Tight lines all and stay safe.

BobP

Apologies and decency aren't strong points of yours Bob, I have no problem with apologies when I'm in the wrong unlike you.
And in this case you are in the wrong. I did not lie when I stated that I did not use Maxcatch products - present tense note which is different from past tense as in "I have USED Maxcatch products". I have found better leaders at a comparable price and which I can order and get next day delivery. In fact I ordered 12 yesterday and expect them to drop through the letterbox today.

As far as "decency" goes, I do not insult other members of this forum or call them liars. You do, you are in the wrong, but I suspect hell will freeze over before you apologise.