Are Rio having a laugh?

Maruta

It's a lot of money and compromises need to be made along the way. I can't afford a line that costs more than most of my rods did (individually). Of course I'd love to have the best gear and don't knock those that own it.
I tend to see that my daughter gets quality shoes and has memorable experiences as a priority to stuffing my cupboard with fancy fishing gear.
I'm priced out of the USA made market, big time.

speytime

I suspect hell will freeze over before you apologise.
You have a similar chance of an apology for me as I had from you, only you were bang out of order I was pointing out the truth, you insulted me over over someone else's post, when I pointed it out you wanted to argue 🤣, even when the op himself pointed out your error you still didn't apologies for your insults. "premiership"
What's good to give isn't ill to take.

Al

Dingbat

I can understand a lot of what you say Sean but, so many of the big names like Hardy Loop, and Orvis are having their products made in the Far East.
Lets take just one small product a pair of line nippers that Loop have produced over there, RRP from Loop £34.95.
EXACTLY the same nippers, no doubt produced by Maxcatch for Loop are
£12, nearly 2/3rds less and free delivery?
i too like my expensive gear, top end reels being my weakness, and some rods, but it does make me cringe a little at times when I see a new Hardy reel for £450 and it was only designed in the UK, not built.
Who's the real exploiter there?
S.
On the other hand the know-how is in the design, the manufacturing is just a machine. I personally believe that you need tight contact between design and production which isn't given in off-shore manufacturing. There are of course limitations in not having you'r own manufacturing - its more difficult and expensive to invest in new technologies and given technology design and function are tightly bound in rod and line manufacturing ....

I don't know what the state of fly fishing in Korea is but my guess is that design secrets are safer there than in China. Its quite possible that the loon nippers are made in a factory next to the maxcatch one.

@Sean - my understanding is that the Koreans are more invested in quality manufacturing for the "West". Apparently its nigh on impossible to get a Chinese contract manufacturer to agree to on-site audits.

Paul_B

Some people have all the fancy tackle and dress like the manikin in Hardys or Orvis, if they're happy so be it, it doesn't necessarily mean they'll catch more or be happier than the man in jeans and tea shirt

pati

Well,

You can get a top range silk line for just a little more than 120£ And for a floater a silk line will not only last you 20years but also most likely be a better fishing tool (better in the wind, better presentation, will keep floating up to the tip even after 20years!).

If you need a plastic line (for when the silk lines are wet, or for those short sessions when there is no time for silk) FunkyFlyTying has Lee Wulff Triangle Taper at 41£ on sale at the moment: that is a pure bargain for what’s my personal favourite line (if only I hadn’t bought one full price a month ago!).

My most expensive plastic line i have is an Orvis Pro Trout Textured (made by SA like all Orvis lines). It is absolutely excellent but in all fairness I do regret having spent so much on it as it is only marginally better than my Wulff TT.

As to the new Rio coating that will make you cast to the moon: I don’t need to cast to the moon for my trout fishing (and can already cast my full TT out if need be), I need a line that will float through to the tip and will last more than 30 days on the water and for that SA and Cortland have been top notch and Airflo seems to be getting there too. Rio always end up either sinking at the tip, cracking or becoming tacky...

Last edited:

haggstock

The bit I don’t get is why people get fired up that any of the top brands charge what they do . They have to to keep in business

MaxCatch’s business model is terrible for our economy . Sell direct on plagiarised products . Use an international postal agreement to send from china for pennies , and Royal Mail picks up the slack . Bypass tariffs and VAT with incomprehensible and false customs declarations . Now on an individual basis that might seem great , we’ve beaten the robbing bastards who run the local tackle shop and cheated HMRC as well .

Think of some of the great trade members on here like Harvey’s Angling who went to the wall...

kingf000

The Rio cost reminds me of the finding in universities that many more foreign students applied for your course if you charged much more for your courses. The assumption being that you get what you pay for, so the more you pay, the better the education.

blithfield2

Speaking of envy there appears to be a bit of envy towards the maxcatch golds popularity, certainly from a few members, it's like there annoyed at a £10 line being so popular and highly rated.
Al
One of the most ill thought through comments I've seen on this forum and I've made a few.........mind you it appears to be an equally poor attempt to deflect

pati

The bit I don’t get is why people get fired up that any of the top brands charge what they do . They have to to keep in business

MaxCatch’s business model is terrible for our economy . Sell direct on plagiarised products . Use an international postal agreement to send from china for pennies , and Royal Mail picks up the slack . Bypass tariffs and VAT with incomprehensible and false customs declarations . Now on an individual basis that might seem great , we’ve beaten the robbing bastards who run the local tackle shop and cheated HMRC as well .

Think of some of the great trade members on here like Harvey’s Angling who went to the wall...
Maxcatch has a double business model:

One is atrocious and consists in selling plagiarised products such as the infamous gold line. This one is unacceptable and should not be entertained. That is not to say that Maxcatch should not sell these lines or that they are not good line, but the marketing/branding is clearly aimed at unduly taking advantage of Rio’s lines notoriety

The other one is much more legit and one I am willing to entertain and consists in bypassing the middle man for selling basic items that are otherwise bought from maxcatch rebranded and sold at a disgraceful premium (typical example: the Loon Nipper with replaceable blades will cost you 35£ from Loon and 20£ from maxcatch but it is relatively established that loon procures it from maxcatch and just adds its logo...).

Dingbat

The Rio cost reminds me of the finding in universities that many more foreign students applied for your course if you charged much more for your courses. The assumption being that you get what you pay for, so the more you pay, the better the education.
Well a Harvard MBA will set you back north of $150k - you are taught in classes of 800 and the class average will never get their investment back. A "normal" MBA will set you back ~50k, you won't be entertained for a job where you *might* earn that back without it and once you have it you will be marked for taking the cheap option.