Are Rio having a laugh?

squimp

I stopped considering buying Rio saltwater lines when they got to about £75 (a few years ago). My Airflo equivalents work just fine and are an ‘acceptable to me‘ price. The only Rio line I still use is the intermediate tip tarpon floater (bought cheap in a sale ).

my fishing partner gets free Rio lines And he probably catches more fish than me. But it isn’t because of the lines, it is because he is a better all round fisherman than me. Indeed at the end of our last trip he tried My 9wt set up and reckoned it was the best he had ever cast; regardless of the Airflo floater.

speytime

Does anyone know where the so called Big Brands are made. Probably in the same factory as all the others. Trainers are a typical product made for peanuts sold for a vast profit.
If you buy anything from maxcatch it's this place on the invoice.
_20200423_145517.JPG
There's others that you'll recognise that aren't in the screen shot.
Like courtland.

Al

sean freeman

I’d like to know what they supply Scott with. As far as I know all of their rods have been made in America since their inception. Maybe it’s the caps, rod bags, etc?

speytime

With American tackle it only has to be constructed there to be made in America.
They could be making the blanks for example we'd never know and its irelevant really if it's good it's good, at the end of the day there all business 1st.

Al

sean freeman

Scott 100% roll their own blanks. Same as Sage, Winston, T&T, Burkheimer who also rolls Tom Morgan blanks, Mike McFarland etc. I can’t see Maxcatch/Leichi being a supplier of the raw materials either but who knows.

corto maltese

My two penneth worth.
I'm with Patti, silk lines for me, well taken care of they will last a lot longer than a plastic line and the taking care of them is a pleasure in itself.
And there is something in the fishing of them that I don't get from plastic lines, it's personel, each to thier own but that's part of the ritual and pleasure of fishing for me.
Now I can't resist 😆
When it all gets nasty Bobp isn't far away as usual 😉.

Last edited:

shropshire_lad

An expensive Chinese fly fishing tackle company.
www.cheekyfishing.com
....and now I have clicked on it, "cheeky fishing" are popping up on my various feeds, Facebook, etc. Cheeky indeed :rolleyes:

My twopennyworth. Whatever activity or pastime it is, there will always be those companies who market themselves as "high end" and appeal to a certain punter. I have been interested in hi fi all my adult life and that market is awash with high end audio products. Cables for $ thousands that will make your system "sing" whereas sceptics have done tests which show a bent coat hanger sounds more-or-less identical. Nevertheless, people will buy them. Savvy customers are intelligent customers who see beyond the marketing BS.

That said, with some of the ridiculously low prices for Chinese products I wonder how they actually do it and wonder as to the ethical and environmental cost?

kerryjordan

....and now I have clicked on it, "cheeky fishing" are popping up on my various feeds, Facebook, etc. Cheeky indeed :rolleyes:

My twopennyworth. Whatever activity or pastime it is, there will always be those companies who market themselves as "high end" and appeal to a certain punter. I have been interested in hi fi all my adult life and that market is awash with high end audio products. Cables for $ thousands that will make your system "sing" whereas sceptics have done tests which show a bent coat hanger sounds more-or-less identical. Nevertheless, people will buy them. Savvy customers are intelligent customers who see beyond the marketing BS.

That said, with some of the ridiculously low prices for Chinese products I wonder how they actually do it and wonder as to the ethical and environmental cost?
The ethos of China is the CCP government. A government that has no qualms about creating over 1000 detention camps holding over a million of its people. A government where stealing intellectual property is a duty and whose officials bribe, subvert and bully other countries for what they want, whether that’s animal parts for Chinese medicine, lumber for construction, African minerals, or building naval bases in the South China Sea or on Myanmar (Burma). A country run like an ant colony where the workers are disposable. Where their industries routinely pollute land, rivers and the air that they breathe. Where living dogs are thrown into and cooked in boiling water.
And sadly whose products are in most things that we buy including the iPhone that I am writing this polemic on.

kingf000

The ethos of China is the CCP government. A government that has no qualms about creating over 1000 detention camps holding over a million of its people. A government where stealing intellectual property is a duty and whose officials bribe, subvert and bully other countries for what they want, whether that’s animal parts for Chinese medicine, lumber for construction, African minerals, or building naval bases in the South China Sea or on Myanmar (Burma). A country run like an ant colony where the workers are disposable. Where their industries routinely pollute land, rivers and the air that they breathe. Where living dogs are thrown into and cooked in boiling water.
And sadly whose products are in most things that we buy including the iPhone that I am writing this polemic on.
Sounds quite a lot like the UK in the 19th century! Don't forget, we invented the concentration camp and exported opium to china, and when they tried to stop us -we went to war with them in the name of free, open trade!

elver1

The debate shouldn’t be the cost of Rio lines. To my mind we should be questioning how cheap Maxcatch and other Chinese products are selling for. To sell fishing tackle and other items, having copied and marketed them in such a way as to look like more expensive genuine products is shameful.
How many Pangolins are rendered to make a matchcatch line!

pati

The debate shouldn’t be the cost of Rio lines. To my mind we should be questioning how cheap Maxcatch and other Chinese products are selling for. To sell fishing tackle and other items, having copied and marketed them in such a way as to look like more expensive genuine products is shameful.
How many Pangolins are rendered to make a matchcatch line!
Cf my previous post (#98): the problem is that on one end maxcatch sells counterfeit products appropriating even the names and slogans of such products (cf their Gold lines and many other of their lines). These are to me simply counterfeit products (name, line profile, colours... not sure if the material/coating etc are the same or not though but I would doubt it):and therefore something I refuse to support (notwithstanding the satisfactory quality of such products according to many on the forum).

But on the other end, maxcatch/leichi china also make some fairly basic stuff that are purchased by big brands who then only add their logo on the stuff and double the prices... In that case the products are not counterfeit, they are the exact same ones that you would purchase from the big brands (save for the -costly- logo). The Loon nipper is a perfect example of that. This is just a case of the supplier bypassing the distributor and that is beneficial to customers and I have no problem at all with that!

blithfield2

Sounds quite a lot like the UK in the 19th century! Don't forget, we invented the concentration camp and exported opium to china, and when they tried to stop us -we went to war with them in the name of free, open trade!
Looking for statues to topple?