Are Rio having a laugh?

kingf000

Unfort
A little of the here and now would be more useful.....possibly
Unfortunately it is the here and now. Why do you think the Chinese are ignoring the agreement they made with the UK over Hong Kong? - because Hong Kong was the spoils of war following a humiliating defeat and the Chinese have always believed that Hong Kong belongs to them. Regarding current trade, they are now doing exactly the same as we did to them, and to many other countries in the world. For example, the UK destroyed the cotton industry in India by selling them cotton fabrics at a much lower price than they could produce them themselves. Just what world trade is all about and there is nothing we, or anyone else can do about it. Setting up trade barriers for a country reliant on trade just won't work. The only way we can counter it is to devise ways of producing and selling the products in this country as cheaply as they do. Typically we pay in the shops between 4-10 times the cost of production. Direct sales from producers in this country could be one answer.

shropshire_lad

Unfort

The only way we can counter it is to devise ways of producing and selling the products in this country as cheaply as they do. Typically we pay in the shops between 4-10 times the cost of production. Direct sales from producers in this country could be one answer.
Agreed and I think things are slowly moving this way, particularly as the Internet provides a vehicle for those small scale direct sale outfits to market their products.

Going back to hi fi again, most equipment sold through shops has huge mark ups. The components often just cost pence or pounds and you are paying for the box and on costs. For the last few years I have bought from two, two-man, UK companies who sell direct at a fraction the price of the high street and make gear that's way better quality.

However, this model will just kill off the high street quicker. Maybe that's a good thing? Most high streets are full of the same characterless chains. Get the rents down and some smaller independent businesses in and they would be far more attractive IMO.

Finally, although we may make things here the components will no doubt come from China as we just don't have the capability to produce them, certainly not as cheaply.

LukeNZ

£120 for a trout fly line!
A £14 Maxcatch line seems better value, or a Cortland at less than half price.

View attachment 29763
I don’t bother with Rio lines anymore - as a few relatively recent Rio Gold trout lines have deteriorated really badly from the sun. Just one season of a couple of outings each.
Scientific Anglers are my go to brand now, especially their Scandi lite - integrated; and, I also have a thing for OPST Smooth (with integrated running line) where I am using sinking tips - they can really move some weight.
Both those lines do all my heavy lifting and stay supple, memory and crack free, for a couple of solid seasons (2-3 days a week, weather permitting).

kingf000

To get off the topic even more - it seems incredibly naive to me to think that in the coming months countries are going to fall over themselves to sign up to lucrative (at least for the UK) trade deals when we have been shafting them for centuries! To gauge how popular the UK is, for a trivial example look at how well we do in the eurovision song contest!

glueman

The amount of stuff that comes from China or is owned by Chinese companies is beyond belief,parts for your range rover your mg car,your canon camera or printer , iPhone ,computer bits all made in China

shropshire_lad

To get off the topic even more - it seems incredibly naive to me to think that in the coming months countries are going to fall over themselves to sign up to lucrative (at least for the UK) trade deals when we have been shafting them for centuries! To gauge how popular the UK is, for a trivial example look at how well we do in the eurovision song contest!
Don't worry, apparently we are taking back control :ROFLMAO:

However, to be fair and balanced, the eurovision song contest is a ridiculous spectacle and one thing we should actually pull out of, but probably won't :(

thetrouttickler

I'd prefer to keep on topic, thanks. Go over to the Lodge if you wish.

sean freeman

I think we’ll be facing chlorinated chicken rather than cheaper Rio knock offs in the near future. We’re bargaining from a position of weakness as they know we’ll have to accept a deal on their terms.

But yeah it’s literally impossible to avoid Chinese made goods, my iPhone, trainers, Mac, TV, fire alarms/smoke detectors in my house, parts in my car all have Chinese produced components. It’s just when it comes to my fishing gear I like to support local fly shops and companies that produce goods in the first world.

kingf000

I'd prefer to keep on topic, thanks. Go over to the Lodge if you wish.
I said it was getting off the topic but it isn't really. What we will pay for Rio fly lines in the future will be dependent upon the trade deal we do with the US and the £/$ exchange rate. US products already cost a lot more than they did last year. If the £ plummets even more against the $, then we will be paying much more for US (and Chinese) products.

glueman

It was always 100 dollars USA arrived here with duty and Vat to become ,,£100 sterling but over the years it has become 100 plus. I can remember whe 2 shillings and 6 pence was half a dollar and there were 4 to the pound. Something went wrong

kingf000

It was always 100 dollars USA arrived here with duty and Vat to become ,,£100 sterling but over the years it has become 100 plus. I can remember whe 2 shillings and 6 pence was half a dollar and there were 4 to the pound. Something went wrong
When I used to go to the US regularly 30 years ago I could pick up US products at about 2/3rds the $ price at the local fishing shop in Philadelphia. Rio in Touch gold is now on a par: $99.99 in the US (though you can get it discounted, up to 40% off) vs £99.99 at Farlows (~£76 at current exchange rate).

Dingbat

I said it was getting off the topic but it isn't really. What we will pay for Rio fly lines in the future will be dependent upon the trade deal we do with the US and the £/$ exchange rate. US products already cost a lot more than they did last year. If the £ plummets even more against the $, then we will be paying much more for US (and Chinese) products.
No the trade deal/better tarrifs wont make a difference. My understanding s that the UK firms buy virtually at US retail so the margin is added on such that the UK shops make a profit and since the UK is a high cost country ....

Dingbat

On the other hand - to give Britain some credit in this regard - when they were forced out I dont remember reading that they screwed the takeover government over like the Yanks do (Cuba Iran ...). Except of course in the case of Hong Kong. Still, reciting Kipling in a Burmese temple is simply out of order. One should know ones place.

lee71

On the other hand - to give Britain some credit in this regard - when they were forced out I dont remember reading that they screwed the takeover government over like the Yanks do (Cuba Iran ...). Except of course in the case of Hong Kong. Still, reciting Kipling in a Burmese temple is simply out of order. One should know ones place.
We'll send you some of his bakewell tarts and apple pies.

GEK79

£120 for a trout fly line!
A £14 Maxcatch line seems better value, or a Cortland at less than half price.

View attachment 29763
Watching the thread the original OP was about the price of RIO new lines.. Yes they are expensive and if you decide to buy one that's your choice.. Will that 120 pound line so any better or worse than a 14 pound maxcatch line.. Well I can't opinion on that. But me I'm happy with a maxcatch line I have also happy with the 2 barrios I have and a cortlamd 444..ao in general I buy what I can afford and use it.. Will I spend 120 on a line not yet.. One day who knows..
Gary

GEK79

I don't think it's only Rio having a laugh. Line nippers, reels, rods. How many can justify their asking prices....honestly?
And as we are seeing Maxcatch make lines. Reels. Rods everything you need cheap.. Maybe the service isn't great but the goods seem to be..