Are Rio having a laugh?

Paul_B

I like the Greys platinum and when they said they wanted to go on holiday to Northumberland that was my first thought, another 6# rod the second and then geordie bangers (y)

not necessarily in that order :unsure:

G

GEK79

I'd say shyte is a stretch Gary, it's way better than some lines I have.
I prefer it to a 444, a Vision Vibe, and a Greys Platinum. A Barrio simply doesn't compare in my experience of them.
But I do reckon I'll kill it pretty damn quick.
Changed the comment. Apologies.

andygrey

I'm a big fan of Rio saltwater tropical lines and have a fair few, but their stillwater lines leave me a bit cold. I liked the old LT's for casting but they never seemed to last very long. I've never liked the Gold, the taper just seems 'wrong' and for me at least, seems to hinge like a bugger. Plenty of people rave about them though and with a lot of things line-related it comes down to casting style.

andygrey

Most of the floating lines have a bad reputation for spool memory and won't lay straight.

The airflo intermediate through to fast sink lines are by far the most popular sinking lines available.

Al
Have Airflo sorted the 'memory' issue? It was some time ago that it first came up. I don't use any of their lines so can't comment with any authority but it does however go to show that it can take a very long time to repair a damaged reputation.

bonefishblues

I'm a big fan of Rio saltwater tropical lines and have a fair few, but their stillwater lines leave me a bit cold. I liked the old LT's for casting but they never seemed to last very long. I've never liked the Gold, the taper just seems 'wrong' and for me at least, seems to hinge like a bugger. Plenty of people rave about them though and with a lot of things line-related it comes down to casting style.
Me too - excellent.

speytime

Have Airflo sorted the 'memory' issue? It was some time ago that it first came up. I don't use any of their lines so can't comment with any authority but it does however go to show that it can take a very long time to repair a damaged reputation.
I've not bought any airflo floaters for some years but its mostly negative reviews I recall, but not all.
A review from last month.
There's so many risk free lines available I wouldn't bother with them anymore.

Al

Paul_B

I think they've started putting the same technology into the G3 :(

JRT

My beef is how come RIO/SA lines have shot up from £90 (which is still pricey) to £120 within a year or two. These are for the same lines and tapers.

I don't buy China sourced kit out of principle if I can possibly avoid it. But when USA companies charge this much for lines I dont blame folks for doing it.

mrnotherone

My beef is how come RIO/SA lines have shot up from £90 (which is still pricey) to £120 within a year or two. These are for the same lines and tapers.

I don't buy China sourced kit out of principle if I can possibly avoid it. But when USA companies charge this much for lines I dont blame folks for doing it.
It's an interesting point. I suspect fly lines have seen the greatest price inflation of any tackle in recent years, but they've hardly seen the greatest innovation. Without looking at the ultra cheap lines (which plenty of folk think are good) there is a big range and many very good quality lines available in the £30 to £70 price range.

I simply don't understand spending £120 when half that buys an excellent line.

Dingbat

It's an interesting point. I suspect fly lines have seen the greatest price inflation of any tackle in recent years, but they've hardly seen the greatest innovation. Without looking at the ultra cheap lines (which plenty of folk think are good) there is a big range and many very good quality lines available in the £30 to £70 price range.

I simply don't understand spending £120 when half that buys an excellent line.

I do - but on the other hand I wouldn't pay 120 quid for a RIO line when I could buy it in the US for 120 USD which is about 80 quid.

In terms of price rises I think the importer is ensuring his profit margin and I also think there will be a re-pricing effect, triggered by Brexit, as various business segments compete for the money in your pocket.

Mrtrout

I’ve just bought a brand new Sage Trout LL reel, it came with a brand new Rio Gold Elite #4 floating line on it.
Price new is £119 .95, I’m reluctant to use it so if anyone wants it for £80 drop me a line ( no pun intended) Save £40.
it’s on the spool in the original box and never seen water.
C1BB8DC8-53EF-419B-A602-127CF6665EBE.png

BobP

I do - but on the other hand I wouldn't pay 120 quid for a RIO line when I could buy it in the US for 120 USD which is about 80 quid.

In terms of price rises I think the importer is ensuring his profit margin and I also think there will be a re-pricing effect, triggered by Brexit, as various business segments compete for the money in your pocket.

Total rubbish! As far back as I can remember, and long before the EU was invented let alone Brexit, the price of American tackle costing xx dollars was the equivalent in pounds by the time it got here. The kit has to be shipped here, there are customs dues to pay, import taxes and VAT - purchase tax in those days. Or do you think the Yanks should just give us the stuff for free?

It all comes down to the same thing. If you don't like the price of something stop bleating about it and go & buy a Chinese knock-off. See what change you get out of them when it falls apart.