Are Shakespeare about to replace the Agility 2?

themind

Kent, garden of England with a hosepipe ban!
So I'm browsing for a cheap reservoir rod for the odd time I visit anywhere other than rivers or small stillwaters. Since the heaviest rod I have is a 9' 5wt I was thinking of the 9'6 or 10' 7wt agility 2, thinking I could also use it for a bit of heavier sea trout fishing. It appears that most shops are running down their stocks and only have a small selection of the range in stock. Does anyone have any knowledge about the rod being discontinued, or updated?

Separately does anyone have any other suggestions? Also does anyone have any experience of switch rods on reservoirs? I'm thinking a cheap 7wt switch could be even more handy for sea trout but I'm unsure about casting with them on stillwaters.

Steve

PaulD

I bought a 10ft, 7wt, Agility 2 from John Norris in their sale - £59.95 delivered. I used it for the first time last Tuesday and for the price you can't complain.

I have a lot of rods and no, the Agility doesn't compare to a Sage XP, the action is a somewhat 'rigid', it gives the caster little 'feel' during the casting stroke by comparison. The rod finish is good, corks are fine, reel fitting's good, rod rings aren't the best but at the price . . .

I consider it a good buy.

themind

Yes, I understand the compromises on the Agility, it won't compare in terms of finish or feel to my river gear however I'm not going to go mid to high end with a rod I will use once or twice a year.

Rigid in some ways is good since I'll most likely only use this IF I'm on a reservoir and IF there is a chance I'll need to use a sinker, or if I fancy lock style drifting. other than that I can cope with my 9' 5wt.

themind

Well the main reason for looking at the 7wt is for use on reservoirs if I need to use sinking lines. Hence the 7wt, the sea trout would just be a bonus. I do have an old hardy 9'6 6/7wt which is a nice through action (compared to my modern rods) and fine for heavier sea trout however its a 2 pc and 2pc rods and convertible car boots just don't mix.

speytime

I've used an agility for sea trout without any problems, fish landed well outweigh the ones lost, a 10ft 6# is ample for them and stillwater imho.
My 9.6ft 6# can cast sink lines no problem.
It comes with a 4" extension if you can spey cast it works great single and double handed style.

Personally I took to the rod like a duck to water, when I buy another rod it'll have a similar action.

Al

Tommy Ruffe

I bought a 9ft #5wt, when they first came out, and had to have it replaced as the joints were continually working loose. The replacement rod was exactly the same ... I complained to Shakespeare who said that "they'd never had any problems with their Agility 2 rod" - I gave the rod away!
I've had a few Shakespeare rods over time including a Trion XT spinning rod (with loose joints) and a couple of Oberon LL rods (that snapped).

I guess it's just pot luck as some have been OK but I wouldn't risk buying another.

themind

@speytime, yes I can spey cast, thats one of the reasons I was thinking about the agility (having the extension handle etc). Guess my thinking for the 7wt is that I have everything from a 6' 2wt through to a 9' 5wt so the 7 would give me a more significant increase in power incase I want to use a fast sinker or shooting head on a big Stillwater.

speytime

@speytime, yes I can spey cast, thats one of the reasons I was thinking about the agility (having the extension handle etc). Guess my thinking for the 7wt is that I have everything from a 6' 2wt through to a 9' 5wt so the 7 would give me a more significant increase in power incase I want to use a fast sinker or shooting head on a big Stillwater.
For me weight is getting to be an issue, if you're finding the same I'd recommend going for a 9.6ft 7# over a 10ft, it's hard to believe 6" can make such a difference to the handling/feel of a rod.
Fwiw the 10ft 6wt agility 2 has more backbone than my 7wt loop blue line and my 7wt Scott Mackenzie signature.

Best of luck Al

coire

I bought a Shakespeare Sigma (9'6" #7) for occasional seatrout and streamer fishing and was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked fishing it. Nice, not too stiff, action and I like the matt finish it has too. Might work for what you have in mind for reservoirs.

themind

I find this thinking so weird as if finding a lie and presenting a fly to a fish successfully will be lost by the rod? Bananas
I actually think that I understand the thinking behind this, not so much the stiff rod causing breakouts but more the stiffness causing the sea trout to be hooked too early? After all the down and across wet fly fishing technique traditionally uses a long, but soft action rod. A still rod would not be ideal. Personally I tend to use a shorter, fairly stiff rod for sea trout (Orvis Recon 9' 5wt) however I am interested in the agility 9'6" or 10', mainly due to the extension handle which would make spey casting a doddle.

Steve

fruinfisher

PS - I’ve got a 10’ 7wt. It’s fine for dragging di7’s out but lacks a bit of give further down the blank for playing fish. I get the feeling it’s been designed for competition rainbow fishing only

themind

OK, settled on the 9'6 7wt, should be fine for sunk lines or shooting heads on reservoirs. also picked up a cartridge reel and a mid range floater and a couple of mill end (intermediated and mid sinker). If they all arrive in the next week or so I may give it an outing at bewl.