Are there any guidelines for the best day to go lake fishing?

anzac

As noted above, Water temperature affects fish. A few links:

Then too, barometric (air pressure) affects fishing. More links:

kingf000

That would suggest anyone that learns through personal experience is a fool? I think not, its a dumb saying.

I see it a bit differently, I can drive 5 hours then walk another couple of hours, then camp and freeze my nuts off for a couple of nights to reach a loch I have never seen, no idea if its full of small fish or that elusive remote water that contains the rare thing I fish for, I may return 3 days later having caught nothing having worked hard for it, but that is part of the longer journey, the challenge I pick and the thing that keeps me going back, a blank is an inevitable consequence of trying the harder but more satisfying challenge.
But wouldn't it be more sensible before going, to contact someone who has fished the loch before so that you can get their experience of fishing it? Wouldn't you know more about the water and be less likely to blank? You don't learn to make a car by being handed a bag of tools on your fist day and told by the foreman - there you are, all the parts are there, get making the car!

PaulD

But wouldn't it be more sensible before going, to contact someone who has fished the loch before so that you can get their experience of fishing it? Wouldn't you know more about the water and be less likely to blank?
It's always good to get as much 'useful' information as possible but . . . even if someone fished the water yesterday there is no great reliability in their experience being useful or relevant for today. Quite often at fisheries you hear anglers questioning staff, "What caught yesterday?" and minutes later, they're in the car park, searching their fly box for similar flies with little or no appreciation or consideration for the fact that today is overcast and blustery, and wind's in the opposite direction . . . yesterday was warm and sunny with a gentle breeze and fish were chasing damsels just under the surface.

4wings

Many years ago someone tried to estimate the day of the week that statistically would have the better weather and I think they came up with Tuesday (and possibly one other day)
Also the answer to life, the universe and everything 42!

Wee Jimmy

But wouldn't it be more sensible before going, to contact someone who has fished the loch before so that you can get their experience of fishing it? Wouldn't you know more about the water and be less likely to blank? You don't learn to make a car by being handed a bag of tools on your fist day and told by the foreman - there you are, all the parts are there, get making the car!
Not for me it wouldn’t. Working it out for myself is all part of the days experience. Half the clowns I see on the water these days would be lost without their mobile phones and up to date info..:rolleyes:

Last edited:

codyarrow

There is a Loch about one mile from my door, seven miles from the second largest town. I would bet a bit of cash I am the only one that has fished it last year. It involves a one hour walk through thigh high heather. There are loads of lochs folk cannot be arsed with; I doubt Alan will find the local knowledge you speak of on many of the lochs he fishes. There are also a lot of anglers who have been doing this for decades that do not have a scooby.
If the advice was for a really large loch (miles of water) and from a reliable source, location would be worth listening too; otherwise you can figure it out most times.

kingf000

Obviously everyone is different. Some like to re-invent the wheel and get satisfaction from doing so. Others take the wheel and go further and invent the bicycle. As in all things, you need to apply a bit of common sense to the advice that is given. Clearly I'm in the camp of taking what is known, sifting out what is valuable and progressing from there, which helped me in my work to invent a new anti-cancer drug that helped to save thousands of lives. In recent times it has been clear that some have benefited from the mistakes of others, some have not. Countries such as Germany (death rate 100/M) Czechia (36/M) and Greece (20/M) did. Countries like the UK (680/M) didn't!

kingf000

As noted above, Water temperature affects fish. A few links:

Then too, barometric (air pressure) affects fishing. More links:

The effect of changing pressure is something I haven't considered, it does seem to be based upon sensible logic, and fits with the advice I've been given regarding settled conditions being favourable. I'll seriously consider this in the future, not just choosing the first day when conditions look favourable, but waiting for a couple of days after.

Wee Jimmy

Obviously everyone is different. Some like to re-invent the wheel and get satisfaction from doing so. Others take the wheel and go further and invent the bicycle. As in all things, you need to apply a bit of common sense to the advice that is given. Clearly I'm in the camp of taking what is known, sifting out what is valuable and progressing from there, which helped me in my work to invent a new anti-cancer drug that helped to save thousands of lives. In recent times it has been clear that some have benefited from the mistakes of others, some have not. Countries such as Germany (death rate 100/M) Czechia (36/M) and Greece (20/M) did. Countries like the UK (680/M) didn't!
When I go fishing,I’m not re inventing any wheels . I’m evaluating what I can see going on all around me with my own eyes,following my own instincts.I’m out to catch fish not saving the world.

anzac

When I go fishing,I’m not re inventing any wheels . I’m evaluating what I can see going on all around me with my own eyes,following my own instincts.I’m out to catch fish not saving the world.
Fair enough. I'll ask an analogous question if I may.

Substitute 'make a good investment' for 'catch fish', and I ask you is evaluating what you see and following your instincts, or gathering credible information and using it the basis of your decision making proces?

kingf000

When I go fishing, I look at the weather forecast to try and select an appropriate day (which is where I am asking for advice based on others' experiences), find out what the fishing has been like over the past few days and what the fish have been taking (allowing for differences in conditions), talk to the owner and other anglers at the lake (if any), evaluate what I see all around me with my own eyes and use this knowledge and my experience (admittedly limited for this kind of small water fishing) to select the method and flies to try. Living on the south east I don't have the (luxury of) access to rarely fished waters.

thetrouttickler

Sounds like you view it as too much of a transaction rather than a hobby.

I don't pay attention to the weather, unless it's a heavy consistent rain (although experience tells me this is actually a good time to fish). There was a time when I was younger when I'd happily stand in the rain all day though. I don't have the luxury of choosing a day, because my time is limited. Sometimes my fishing is booked months in advance. It's actually quite liberating that way because I will go along and enjoy the fishing, and do my best to catch, whichever weather conditions are thrown at me. It's quite fun actually, and I enjoy the whole experience - the travel there and back, the nature, scenery, history of the place, what food I pack for lunch, which pubs are nearby, etc. You have to do a lot of 'fishing' to not really worry too much about the 'catching' though. The catching generally takes care of itself by then. It's part of the evolution of an angler.

Wee Jimmy

Living on the south east I don't have the (luxury of) access to rarely fished waters.
Living in the central belt, neither do I.
Weather watching in order to pick a day which suits my preferred methods best does make sense even if the forecast is wrong as often as it is right but Im not interested in what others have been catching on or where. I would much rather do that for myself or at least try.

Last edited:

kingf000

Sounds like you view it as too much of a transaction rather than a hobby.

I don't pay attention to the weather, unless it's a heavy consistent rain (although experience tells me this is actually a good time to fish). There was a time when I was younger when I'd happily stand in the rain all day though. I don't have the luxury of choosing a day, because my time is limited. Sometimes my fishing is booked months in advance. It's actually quite liberating that way because I will go along and enjoy the fishing, and do my best to catch, whichever weather conditions are thrown at me. It's quite fun actually, and I enjoy the whole experience - the travel there and back, the nature, scenery, history of the place, what food I pack for lunch, which pubs are nearby, etc. You have to do a lot of 'fishing' to not really worry too much about the 'catching' though. The catching generally takes care of itself by then. It's part of the evolution of an angler.
I agree with you regarding my river fishing, the only thing I don't like is a strong downstream wind (or snow if I'm grayling fishing), but even then I can adjust my fishing method or find places relatively sheltered, provided it isn't so strong that it blows me over, which did happen once! I have a different view with lake fishing, which yes, I do view more as a transaction, or should I say I like to be well prepared before I get to the water. I have more flexibility over the lake fishing, as it is only 15 minutes down the road, so I can pick and choose my moments, especially if I go for an early morning 4h ticket.

thetrouttickler

I agree with you regarding my river fishing, the only thing I don't like is a strong downstream wind (or snow if I'm grayling fishing), but even then I can adjust my fishing method or find places relatively sheltered, provided it isn't so strong that it blows me over, which did happen once! I have a different view with lake fishing, which yes, I do view more as a transaction, or should I say I like to be well prepared before I get to the water. I have more flexibility over the lake fishing, as it is only 15 minutes down the road, so I can pick and choose my moments, especially if I go for an early morning 4h ticket.
Fair enough, I think I'd probably do the same if I had lake fishing so near to me.

PaulD

Fair enough. I'll ask an analogous question if I may.

Substitute 'make a good investment' for 'catch fish', and I ask you is evaluating what you see and following your instincts, or gathering credible information and using it the basis of your decision making proces?
I, for one, would rather use my own judgement of current conditions to decide how and where I was going to fish rather than 'second hand' information from 'last Tuesday'.

Paul_B

Its no good waffling on, you're not seeing the bigger picture, in your job do you prescribe medication by hearsay without seeing the patient or talking to them or asking their symptoms. This anti cancer drug was it made without testing?

You want to catch fish, whats the symptoms,
check the water temperature, wheres the wind blowing from, is there any signs of insect life, are the swallows high or low, are fish topping etc etc

Fishing into the wind can be good as it will take any insect life towards you and the fish will could be feeding, last week it was the opposite for me as the farmer was cutting hay and the insect life was being blown onto the water, black gnats and solder beetles were present as well as shucks in the margins, if the black gnats hadn't worked I'd have tried something else or even gone with buzzers as a last resort or a black n green fritz if I wanted some supper 😂

Take two aspirin and call tomorrow if you don't catch owt

ohanzee

Sometimes yes, sometimes there is no one to ask because you found it.

If I was making cars I would build on the design, testing and experience of an entire industry, its not really similar in any way.

Fishing is about learning to be self reliant in working it out, and once you can you can do it pretty much anywhere, I'd say even that you reach a point where that is the whole point.

Last edited:

kingf000

Sometimes yes, sometimes there is no one to ask because you found it.

If I was making cars I would build on the design, testing and experience of an entire industry, its not really similar in any way.

Fishing is about learning to be self reliant in working it out, and once you can you can do it pretty much anywhere, I'd say even that you reach a point where that is the whole point.
To this and other replies that talk about working it out yourself. Looking at the bigger picture, how many of you have read books about fly fishing? How many have looked at videos on, eg. YouTube, on fly fishing and new fishing methods? I have the bank anglers' guide to Grafham in front of me and it tells me an awful lot about the best places to fish for particular wind directions and suitable methods to use at certain times of year. It would take years and years of fishing for me, independently, to gain that amount of knowledge contained in a little booklet. Isn't this all learning from other peoples experience and mistakes? I don't believe anyone is truly self reliant.