Are there any guidelines for the best day to go lake fishing?

JohnH

I'd say that what Rob has outlined is also applicable to small Southern clearwater fisheries that get very hard fished, and K should definitely factor fishing pressure into his thinking. This comment based on experience a few years back of Chalk Springs at Arundel. Mondays were a hopeless day to fish because the fishery had been hammered at the weekend, and the "Chalk Springs weekend" includes Fridays as well. Tuesdays could be a little better. Wednesdays were sometimes fished by clubs and societies on organised outings. Depending on how serious the Wednesday fishing pressure was, and those club days may be quite easy-going, Thursday could be a good day to fish. Then rinse and repeat..... I no longer fish Chalk Springs for several reasons, of which the above is just one. B*gg*r of a 40 mile plus journey along the A27, I did not particularly like the almost suburban setting on the outskirts of the town, and more interesting fishing available in Hampshire and Wiltshire being the others.

BobP

Fishing pressure can definitely put fish down for a day or two. A few years ago I went to Farmoor on the day after the 2 day Ian Barr spring match. Farmoor 1, which was the reservoir used for the match, was deader that King Tut. The whole atmosphere of the pl;ace felt dead. At the time F1 and F2 were fished as separate waters but the ranger came round and told me to get across to F2 and spend the afternoon there. A wise decision.

Paul_B

King F is sounding like a fisherman :)
Add to his post, that bit of breeze makes ripples which helps to increase oxo levels in the surface layer, as does some rain, low pressure increases to pressure of the trouts swim bladder and puts it off feeding, it also allows methane to escape from the sediment to be absorbed by the water which puts trout of fishing as well as lowers the oxo absorption rate.
However
In the worst case scenario, remember that trout are predictors and no matter what the condition of a still water, the trout will react to fast or faster than normal and will attack by instinct.

You don't need to know a lot about the ins and out of trout fishing, just use bright and fast, even a spinner on 50lb braid will catch 😂

GEK79

The Chironomid pupae, or buzzer, will make up a vast percentage of the diet of a lotbof the Trout you are fishing for. Stick on a buzzer or 2 on as long a flourocarbon leader as you can handle, cast out, and hold on.
Are buzzers an all season option..Gary

kingf000

Well with waters that are only stocked 3 or 4 times a year then the fish will definitely be wised up.....so weather conditions will play a bigger part

But personally I'd still avoid weekends ( and mondays/tuesdsys)as the fish will have had more pressure...

Same principles apply no matter what the size of water or frequency of stocking.....

Angling pressure makes fish harder to catch....
My understanding for Grafham is to not to go with a W/NW wind as it blows along the reservoir rapidly creating waves with little fishable water. So Thursday/Friday with a breeze from any other direction is fine. Reservoirs may be different as they are normally much larger stretches of open water, more likely to get breezes that aid evaporation and cooling, with greater depths and may be topped up with relatively cool river water?

I certainly avoid Mondays on lakes whenever possible, though I've had some brilliant Mondays on the river!

kingf000

King F is sounding like a fisherman :)
Add to his post, that bit of breeze makes ripples which helps to increase oxo levels in the surface layer, as does some rain, low pressure increases to pressure of the trouts swim bladder and puts it off feeding, it also allows methane to escape from the sediment to be absorbed by the water which puts trout of fishing as well as lowers the oxo absorption rate.
However
In the worst case scenario, remember that trout are predictors and no matter what the condition of a still water, the trout will react to fast or faster than normal and will attack by instinct.

You don't need to know a lot about the ins and out of trout fishing, just use bright and fast, even a spinner on 50lb braid will catch 😂
D****ed by faint praise! I see competition boat anglers on Grafham doing just that, casting lures out out and pulling back as fast as possible. It catches fish but from my river background, it just doesn't appeal to me. I'd much rather fish more delicately with, as suggested, a 15-17ft fluorocarbon leader with a bloodworm and buzzer, or if the fish are rising, a dry fly! I've never thought about methane in water, as I thought it was only soluble in water at very high pressures, like at the bottom of the oceans.

kingf000

One of the most common misconceptions that fish have to be seen rising for dries to be effective,don’t you believe it.
I agree with you, but I only mentioned it in passing, not stating that I would fish with dry fly ONLY if there were rising fish. I often fish a duo with little in the way of rising fish and catch on the dry fly. That said, if there are no fish rising, then any feeding fish must be feeding on sub-surface food. So isn't it only sensible to target the food that the majority of fish are feeding on?

BobP

The best days to go fishing? There is the day before you went fishing, and the day after you've been fishing. There is no magic formula which says that xxx day is the perfect day. Like many others I'm sure, I've been on days when I get a sinking feeling when I look at the water and then have a brilliant day, and on days that look absolutely nailed on to be good and barely a fish shows the slightest interest.

I suppose you could always look up the solunar tables that were much in vogue with Abu back in the 1960's, or alternatively sacrifice a goat and check its entrails which is much the same thing.

anzac

The best day to go fishing is any day you can. You may not catch any fish, but it's better than sitting at home self isolating. You can take my word for that!

Wee Jimmy

I agree with you, but I only mentioned it in passing, not stating that I would fish with dry fly ONLY if there were rising fish. I often fish a duo with little in the way of rising fish and catch on the dry fly. That said, if there are no fish rising, then any feeding fish must be feeding on sub-surface food. So isn't it only sensible to target the food that the majority of fish are feeding on?
Fair enough but that’s not how it appeared in your post, hence me making the point.

JohnH

There is no magic formula which says that xxx day is the perfect day.
There is no magic formula to success in fishing full stop, I suspect. Too many variables, and as Bob Wyatt says in his brilliant book "Trout Hunting; The pursuit of happiness" ... "...even the variables have variables". Perhaps someone can explain the following to me. A superglue buzzer or bloodworm pattern drifted under an indicator on a nice breeze is a gun method at Manningford fishery. Nine miles due south in the same Wiltshire Avon valley, success with that method at a pretty similar fishery, Avon Springs, is patchy at best. All you can do is smile and get on with it.

Scotty Mitchell

I got up to go fishing today.
The sun has killed my enthusiasm and I'm leaving it till tomorrow or possibly even Monday afternoon after work.
The older I get the more I pick my days. I don't feel its detrimental to my skills, been there done that and got the arduous conditions t shirt.
Unless I have travelled considerably or its a one off shot on a beat or loch, I simply can't be ar5ed with sh1t conditions.
My absolute nemesis is the sun. That's where I really draw the line, days like this are for work, not fishing 👍

Wee Jimmy

There's a loch I fish where dry hoppers are head and shoulders the most successful fly.

You will seldom see rising fish.
I think a lot of folk either forget or don’t realise how opportunistic trout can be Scotty. If we add that to the amount of places where terrestrial falls are the main food source then it’s no surprise we are not often handicapped by taking a dry fly approach for much of the season..😉

Scotty Mitchell

I think a lot of folk either forget or don’t realise how opportunistic trout can be Scotty. If we add that to the amount of places where terrestrial falls are the main food source then it’s no surprise we are not often handicapped by taking a dry fly approach for much of the season..😉
I'm always surprised at the amount of folk who are surprised when you say you fish dries in the absence of risers.
I love it. As soon as I set off up the bank, looking for boulders, mini bays, any "troot hoose", I'm away.... Off into a complete world of my own.... If the wind allows I stop with a bump when the water runs out 😁..... Sorry I'm getting emotional, I should be on my way to be doing it right now......... 🌅🤢

Wee Jimmy

I'm always surprised at the amount of folk who are surprised when you say you fish dries in the absence of risers.
I love it. As soon as I set off up the bank, looking for boulders, mini bays, any "troot hoose", I'm away.... Off into a complete world of my own.... If the wind allows I stop with a bump when the water runs out 😁..... Sorry I'm getting emotional, I should be on my way to be doing it right now......... 🌅🤢
The heather flies like a bit of sunshine Scotty,all is not lost...😃