Ari't Hart - R.I.P

m r roid

It's with a sad, broken heart that I'm informing the forum of the passing of Ari't Hart who died on Friday evening at the age of 86.
Ari was a pioneer of modern, futuristic looking fly fishing reels, and tackle that were both stunning to look at and a joy to use. His genius is unsurpassed, and will probably remain so.
I was proud, and privileged to call the man my friend.
Rest in peace Ari, the Leonardo da Vinci of the fly fishing world

Last edited:

GEK79

It's with a sad, broken heart that I'm informing the forum of the passing of Ari't Hart who died on Friday evening at the age of 86.
Ari was a pioneer of modern, futuristic looking fly fishing reels, and tackle that were both stunning to look at and a joy to use. His genius is unsurpassed, and will probably remain so.
I was proud, and privileged to call the man my friend.
Rest in peace Ari
Sad news and a great loss.. Hope your okay lad..

m r roid

Barely, thanks 😭😭
The thing I'll miss most is his boyish sense of humour.
I still can't believe he is gone..... I spoke to him on Friday afternoon, and he died that evening of a heart attack

Mrtrout

Unlike you Kevin I only corresponded with him via email etc, he was always very kind and helpful. He was an innovative reel designer that wasn’t afraid to think outside the box and produced some wonderful designs.
I no longer collect his reels, but he will be sadly missed in the angling world and remembered I’m sure for what he gave to fishing.
You either loved or disliked his reels, I was one of the former.
S.

m r roid

Unlike you Kevin I only corresponded with him via email etc, he was always very kind and helpful. He was an innovative reel designer that wasn’t afraid to think outside the box and produced some wonderful designs.
I no longer collect his reels, but he will be sadly missed in the angling world and remembered I’m sure for what he gave to fishing.
You either loved or disliked his reels, I was one of the former.
Hi Steven,
Ari worked right up until about 2 weeks ago. Some of the reels, travel vices and fly boxes he produced in the last year are, in my opinion, some of his finest work.
When the dust has settled I may post a few pictures on the forum.

Gdog

Hi Steven,
Ari worked right up until about 2 weeks ago.designs. Some of the reels, travel vices and fly boxes he produced in the last year are, in my opinion, some of his finest work.
When the dust has settled I may post a few pictures on the forum.
We would all greatly appreciate if you could post photographs of some of his designs.

m r roid

I am lucky enough to own a lot of Ari's fly tying bobbin holders. Some I bought, but most were birthday, or Christmas presents from Ari, and a very good mutual friend of ours. I think about 50 - 60 of these were made, mostly in red, blue and gold, and probably about 5 in polished aluminium. I own 17, and I modified one of Mike Johnson's tool carousels to house them, and some spare spools.
Screenshot_20210718_110751_com.facebook.katana_edit_48187608524937.jpg

m r roid

Before the Covid pandemic, Ari and a group of Dutch fisherman would visit England in late October, or early November to fish on the rivers, Test, Avon, Anton etc in Hampshire/Wiltshire. They'd stay in Stockbridge for the week, and I would join up with them. Here's a picture of Ari fishing the Anton in 2019. It was the last time I spent the day fishing with him.....
Screenshot_20210717_063004_com.facebook.katana_edit_81682717570867.jpg

m r roid

When Ari fished with the boys in 2018 we were on the river Test at Fullerton, and Ari and I fished opposite this old building on the opposite bank.
The next time I met Ari he presented me with a picture he had painted of it. It hangs with pride in my 'man cave'
Ari photo.jpg
IMG_20200429_202949.jpg

sean freeman

Very sad, I’ve always admired his reels greatly and promised myself I’d eventually own one. Those bobbin holders are works of art! Lovely reminders to have of a dear friend.

m r roid

I think this is my favourite picture of Ari 😂🤣
I took it at the famous fishing hut on the river Test on Broadlands Estate in April 2019. As usual he was arsing about 😍😍
Screenshot_20200516_181637_com.microsoft.skydrive.jpg

pati

Such a sad day, a true legend :-( All my thoughts to family and friends.

Dingley, Prudent, Charlton, Ari… There must be fascinating discussions about reel design in paradise…

m r roid

Such a sad day, a true legend :-( All my thoughts to family and friends.

Dingley, Prudent, Charlton, Ari… There must be fascinating discussions about reel design in paradise…
You can add Stan Bogdan to that list 😍👍
The thing for me that sets Ari apart is he made all sorts of things other than fly reels. I believe he also designed a wheelchair for a paraplegic athlete.

pati

You can add Stan Bogdan to that list 😍👍
The thing for me that sets Ari apart is he made all sorts of things other than fly reels. I believe he also designed a wheelchair for a paraplegic athlete.
True about Bogdan!
Yes I think Ari was a prime engineer and designer who just happened to be a fisherman and therefore applied his tremendous talent and skills to one of his passions…
I wished I had met him and feel for you losing a close friend.

m r roid

True about Bogdan!
Yes I think Ari was a prime engineer and designer who just happened to be a fisherman and therefore applied his tremendous talent and skills to one of his passions…
I wished I had met him and feel for you losing a close friend.
Never a truer word...... I'm devastated 😭😭😭

taffy1

It's always sad to hear of a brother of the angle passing away, even more so if it's a very close & dear friend. His reels & everything that he designed will never be forgotten & neither will his memory. I sincerely hope Ari will long be in your heart & those that were very close ro him.

Latest posts