Arthritis/similar

gegg

Hi all,
I suffer from a rather nasty form of arthritis (Scleroderma). It has got a lot worse in the last few months, affecting amongst many things, my grip.
I'm very naughty I know, but I sneaked on to the tweed this morning (I'm shielding - didn't meet a soul or touch any gates etc.) mainly to see if I could still fish...
I had to resort to casting with my left hand, because I can't grip with my right firmly enough. Despite some messy casts I managed a couple of brownies at about 1 1/2 pounds. A nice break from home for a couple of hours.
My question - can you get oversized cork handles? If mine was thicker I could grip with my right hand again. Or perhaps someone has used some sort of tape - I'm thinking tennis racket type stuff....
All suggestions gratefully received.

Banksie

Hi all,
I suffer from a rather nasty form of arthritis (Scleroderma). It has got a lot worse in the last few months, affecting amongst many things, my grip.
I'm very naughty I know, but I sneaked on to the tweed this morning (I'm shielding - didn't meet a soul or touch any gates etc.) mainly to see if I could still fish...
I had to resort to casting with my left hand, because I can't grip with my right firmly enough. Despite some messy casts I managed a couple of brownies at about 1 1/2 pounds. A nice break from home for a couple of hours.
My question - can you get oversized cork handles? If mine was thicker I could grip with my right hand again. Or perhaps someone has used some sort of tape - I'm thinking tennis racket type stuff....
All suggestions gratefully received.
Thought you could try a temporary solution for the next trip. Maybe some old towelling or similar. Could easily be bound up with some cord, etc. Then you’d know what’s enough or too much for your ‘new’ casting hand. Glad you caught. 😎

sightbob

Hi gegg, I'm sure you'll manage to get something to
make your fishing more comfortable. Without knowing exactly
what the problem is obviously can only suggest things.
GuidesnBlanks do a maniform handle that could be put on
your favourite rods or you have the Le Cie range of rods
that had an odd shaped handle which were a bit thicker,they might be hard to find now
I had a friend ( past now) John Brice really bad with Rheumatoid.
he actually found it easier with a wee fighting butt and going double handed. Some of the rod builders on here I'm sure can help you better.
John

ed_t

You could try some armaflex insulation tape. It's a foam insulation about 3mm thick so easy to build up a bigger diameter with a few wraps. Word of caution, the self adhesive glue is super strong so some pvc electrical tape on your cork handles first will save any tears and damage if you decide you want rid of it.

taffy1

Be careful, cork needs to "breathe", any moisture ingress from whatever you wrap around it needs to be virtually watertight. Sorry to hear about your discomfort.

ohanzee

There are a load of these on the market, if you google image 'fishing casting support'

81F5Z0-37BL._AC_UL320_ML3_.jpg

Leather handlebar tape? wraps round and I'm thinking a bit more grippy....there is also cork tape but not sure how that would wrap.

2A80-20-2-80_detail1-lenkerband-lederuFJuRfGCffshA_600x600.jpg

ohanzee

More, there are a lot of possible things to try out there..

H273e026919074567844da337a0bd0d50i.jpg_q50.jpg

ed_t

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions. I'm gonna fashion my own wrist support thingy, and there's some armaflex tape in the post.... This aint gonna stop me fishing.
Please do use pvc electrical tape or sellotape as a base layer. I put some armaflex on my bicycle handlebars and ended rubbing the glue off with my thumbs when I wanted rid. Next day both thumbs blistered and there followed some very uncomfortable days when dead skin shed (I cut it off but same end).

ohanzee

Masking tape is maybe a more user friendly/comfortable barrier layer?

ed_t

Masking tape is maybe a more user friendly/comfortable barrier layer?
Masking tape would work just as well but it's to protect the cork from the armaflex adhesive. An underlayer, rather than grip layer. If Gegg gets the diameter right some bike handlebar/racquet padded tape or cloth grip tape would make a good durable layer over the armaflex….

Thinking on some stretchy self adhesive medical tape would work quite well as an outer wrap.

codyarrow

I have made a couple of rods with fatter handles over the last few years for different reasons than arthritis (white finger). They have not worked for me and in general rod makers have got the diameter correct. However with arthritis it may be worth trying. Also a different shape might help grip?download.jpgLoop

budsallday

Hey there, new to the forum and thanks for referencing my project ohanzee.

To add to the discussion, a temporary solution you could try gegg that I experimented with when prototyping was using hockey tape to build up a bigger handle. Its pretty malleable, a bit more water resistant and more comfortable but wont last forever unfortunately. Hope that helps, let me know because this does add to my research and validation for the project which I am still working on slowly.

easker1

I am shielding and took my rod into the Garden and had a few casts , with out breaking the lock down, I am confident I will be able to fish when I get out again, I use a sheep skin wrap on a bow I have to increase the grip size , not much good for fishing I know but I have a hockey tape grip on another bow, some of the Grips are quite narrow, easker1