Article on Salmon farms in Ireland

JJ O Malley

Hi all,
Please have a read of this article. Never read something more biased in my life. Too many inaccuracies to list..

What ever happened to the Irish salmon farming industry?

If you agree please send a letter or email to the editor of the Irish Times newspaper.

Post: The Irish Times Building, PO Box 74, 24-28 Tara Street, Dublin 2
Fax: +353 1 675 8035
Email: lettersed@irishtimes.com
(no attachments please)

Cheers.
John O'Malley

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

JJ O Malley

A really poorly writen article.which shoots itself in the foot over and over again.

Jim
Agreed. He referenced "teething problems" in the early days of salmon farming in ireland. He didn't mention these teething problems decimated the stocks of sea trout and salmon. Also didnt mention the impact to visiting anglers numbers, closing hotels etc with significant loss to the economy over the past 30 years.

Referring to these fish as 'high quality organic' or sustainable is laughable. He also forgot to mention that the flesh is dyed red.. Who would eat farmed salmon if it was grey??

skyeman1

Agreed. He referenced "teething problems" in the early days of salmon farming in ireland. He didn't mention these teething problems decimated the stocks of sea trout and salmon. Also didnt mention the impact to visiting anglers numbers, closing hotels etc with significant loss to the economy over the past 30 years.

Referring to these fish as 'high quality organic' or sustainable is laughable. He also forgot to mention that the flesh is dyed red.. Who would eat farmed salmon if it was grey??

On the West coast of Scotland the longest teething problems ever continue unchecked but doubling of capacity is on the way regardless. Think the author should be looking to the Irish government as the sensible example, certainly not the fish farming department of the Scottish one.

easker1

was on business at a hatchery near Macroom, it was busy enough but very much behind the Scottish equivalents,cast Iron and concrete, pitch linings in the Tanks( concrete)iron pipe work, whereas the Scottish were using Upvc pipe work and F/glass tanks, but it seemed busy enough, just a bit primitive, This was in the 80's, easker1

mackiia1

Salmon farms and the environment

Stephen Collins wrote a **** poor article - I wonder which group got him to write it as it's clear he has no clue about Salmon Farming . It's just a business man's attempt to justify a filthy industry.

This reply to his article is welcome , but I think it should have highlighted the filthy nature of Salmon Farming even more.

Last edited:

mackiia1

FARMED SALMON – **** You Don't Need
i found this link over on the salmon forum ,think its a great counter to the rubbish in the IT.
That's a good read Andy - plain and simple . The average Joe Soap buying 'Salmon' in the supermarkets would understand it - and should be repulsed.
I am going to post it on my FB page - hopefully it will deter some of my FB Friends from buying this ****.

Mies

Email the editor to tell him how poor the journalism was. If enough people do it might have some effect.

Cheers
JJ

Will do, JJ. I'll also inform advise them that I will be cancelling my online subscription to the paper if they're going to publish anymore uninformed drivel like this piece.

Well done for spotting it :thumbs:

Latest posts