Assynt in September

esk

My wife and I are staying on the banks of Loch Nedd on the first week in September.

I shall of course be taking a rod and a box of flies with me.

I am very used to fishing in the Torridon hills where the path networks are very well maintained and it rare you have to go too far off piste to reach a lochin (although it is a bit wilder in the Applecross hills). Is it similar in Assynt or should I be prepared to traipse over heather and bog to find lochins to fish a la Applescross. I'd rather find an out of the way lochin with the hope of a nice fish rather than a bucket of tiddlers.

I've been scouring the OS map and there seem to be (a) a lot fewer obvious tracks in the area and (b) a hell of a lot of deer fences to negotiate.

Am I pushing my luck that late in the year or are there still opportunities for a nice day out.

Finally, I prefer not to the take the car too far or at all if possible. Would I be limiting myself too much doing this?

Is it worth taking waders?

Many thanks

Euan

Last edited:

matt808

We're staying near achiltibuie at the moment, had a couple of good afternoons fishing.
It's *really* busy on the beach campsites this year due to no one being able to go abroad, the clachtoll beach campsite usually has the odd tents spread out, it looked like a refugee camp when we went last week.
No problems as soon as you get away from OS marked footpaths, not many people really bother exploring thankfully.

colliedog

The fishing can be good late Aug and early Sep especially if the weather is settled and terrestrials are on the go. Had some great fishing in falls of heather fly and daddies. I am going up in 3 weeks.... a regular time for me to go up north west, once the Scottish schools are back, as it quietens down a bit. Not sure what I will find this year. I have some accommodation booked for part of the week, just hoping I'll find space in the campsites for the remainder.

bobmiddlepoint

While this is a little off subject I can tell you what you will find in the Highlands ATM, nowhere to park, a fecking lot of mess including human waste, bellends in sports cars, bellends who can’t reverse and a good helping of I’ll feeling from the local population.

The fishing should be fine!

Andy

bobmiddlepoint

Strange, as I didn't see any evidence of that in the Torridon area a fortnight ago.

Euan
It had only just started two weeks ago. There is nowhere to park, there is **** everywhere. Have a look on Facebook, read the P&J.
When you have 20 pissed up campers at Bettyhill pier (nearest toilets 1 mile away) guess what you find after they have left.
Make no mistake most people in the Highlands want tourism stopped this year. Far too many people full of rights but devoid of respect for anything or anyone.

Andy

morangiedave

Really ? Where do I've in the Highland ? We're quite happy to have tourists ad long as they bring they're wallets. The behaviour of a few fanny's shouldn't be allowed to tar all tourists.
Make no mistake most people in the Highlands want tourism stopped this year. Far too many people full of rights but devoid of respect for anything or anyone.

Andy

merkin

I've just got back from Assynt (wild camping on the shore of Loch Drumbeg - left nothing but footprints as they say - as I couldn't get into Clachtoll). Many lochs easy to get to and waders (as indicated above) not really required in most. Had some very good fish from the Ardroe lochs near Achmelvich a few years back, including a 3lb yellow-belly, but all my fly fishing now is for the Pollack off the rocks. I found the locals/shops/businesses all very welcoming and didn't pick up a single tick. A glorious place and I may well be back up in September myself!

matt808

I've just got back from Assynt (wild camping on the shore of Loch Drumbeg - left nothing but footprints as they say - as I couldn't get into Clachtoll). Many lochs easy to get to and waders (as indicated above) not really required in most. Had some very good fish from the Ardroe lochs near Achmelvich a few years back, including a 3lb yellow-belly, but all my fly fishing now is for the Pollack off the rocks. I found the locals/shops/businesses all very welcoming and didn't pick up a single tick. A glorious place and I may well be back up in September myself!
Clachtoll was crazy. No ticks on us either and only a couple on the dogs, much better than the last times we've been. Odd because there's been a lot on the north york moors this year.

easker1

3 weeks ago I could hear the sea , now all I hear is motor noise, including streams of Motor Bikes and sports cars "doing the North 500", usually there's a gradual build up , this time it happened almost Over night, I would be quite happy with out them, but then I don't rely on them for my living, I don't know how the Campsites are coping with the amount of vehicles coming into the area, still and all there is always the Carpark,, sneak in late and hide in the trees . How much do they pay for a mobile home? and then can't afford a campsite, so , Don't come But send yer money :cool: easker1