Autum internationals 2021

diawl bach

He wouldn't let it lie.

Anyway, going back to rugby, rather than boring, divisive crep, I wonder what everyone thinks of Amazon's coverage now it's had enough time to be reviewed,. I thought the commentary's been excellent but the filming nowhere near as good as the BBC whose coverage is always superb.

BobP

Typical leftie. Ask a reasonable question and he immediately calls it divisive. It is not. There IS an Irish whiskey of that name so it is obviously not an insult of any sort and I would like to know what soubriquet the jocks, taffies and paddies attach to the English. I know that the French call us "rosbifs" which dates back to the Napoleonic wars I believe and is a corruption of our liking for roast beef.

And I thought the Amazon coverage was very good.

diawl bach

If it hadn't been your sole contribution to this thread then perhaps it might have been less notable. As it is you've had bugger all to say about the rugby for weeks but at the first sniff of an opportunity to stir it up with Ireland, Wales or Scotland in you waddle spreading your usual bile, it's become a predictably dreary and unwelcome phenomenon in the sports threads.

Mr Notherone

There IS an Irish whiskey of that name so it is obviously not an insult of any sort and I would like to know what soubriquet the jocks, taffies and paddies attach to the English.

It really isn't that difficult a concept to grasp. Paddy Whiskey is named after a person called Paddy, a historical fact and the brand does not aim to offend. That doesn't mean the same term can't be used as an insult. Context is everything.

For example, the word fart is a noun and a slang term for breaking wind, in itself it is not pejorative. However if I were to call you a pompous old fart, you might rightly assume I was insulting you.

diawl bach

Best snippet of commentary , Scots/Seffers, the 40th minute of the 1st half, two subs come on -

"Oh hullo, here we are, a gathering of hippos emerge from the river" We all had a laugh at that.

PaulD

Context is everything.
For example, the word fart is a noun and a slang term for breaking wind, in itself it is not pejorative. However if I were to call you a pompous old fart, you might rightly assume I was insulting you.
Excellent!

From the Oxford dictionary . . .

"an Irishman

noun, plural Pad·dies. Slang: Often Offensive. an Irishman or a person of Irish descent."

BobP

It really isn't that difficult a concept to grasp. Paddy Whiskey is named after a person called Paddy, a historical fact and the brand does not aim to offend. That doesn't mean the same term can't be used as an insult. Context is everything.

I doubt it. I'd most likely laugh. Seems I've got a thicker skin than most. And for diawl bach's benefit, I've made no comment on the rugby because I haven't watched any of the other games. Other things to do. I suspect that I won't be able to watch the England/Boks game either this weekend which is a shame.

ed_t

He wouldn't let it lie.

Anyway, going back to rugby, rather than boring, divisive crep, I wonder what everyone thinks of Amazon's coverage now it's had enough time to be reviewed,. I thought the commentary's been excellent but the filming nowhere near as good as the BBC whose coverage is always superb.
The camera work is akin to when itv or ch4 show the rugby- the directors and cameramen haven't got the same appreciation of the angles and perspective that show the play across the field. I suspect the crews are more used to football.

Can't complain about the commentary.

ed_t

Typical leftie. Ask a reasonable question and he immediately calls it divisive. It is not. There IS an Irish whiskey of that name so it is obviously not an insult of any sort and I would like to know what soubriquet the jocks, taffies and paddies attach to the English. I know that the French call us "rosbifs" which dates back to the Napoleonic wars I believe and is a corruption of our liking for roast beef.

And I thought the Amazon coverage was very good.
Lets leave the paddy thing bob. I've pmd gdog and let him make his own mind up on my position if he reads it.

For me jock, paddy, taff, bok, black and frog are all ok in rugby, and all ok in context.

I've possibly supped beer with and met more international players than anyone posting here- grew up in twickenham, knew lads worked at the hotel england used, knew where the post match lock-ins were and snuck in early. Them days are gone, but nowt but good memories.

Anyway the bigotry and pc carp isn't part of rugby so let's leave it.

Mr Notherone

The camera work is akin to when itv or ch4 show the rugby- the directors and cameramen haven't got the same appreciation of the angles and perspective that show the play across the field. I suspect the crews are more used to football.
Agree - that pretty much sums up my view of the coverage. Frankly, just pleased I can watch the games at all.

Gdog

Perhaps while you are explaining that you could let us know what nickname the Irish have for the English. I'm sure there is one. I'd like to be able to feel insulted as you.

We don't have nicknames for the English, we just sing songs and tell bad stories about the bad things certain English people did to the Irish between 1169 and 1921, we don't tar all English people with the same brush. You probably haven't read much about the history between our two countries to understand the insult made earlier in the post.

Last edited:

original cormorant

The french (ies :whistle: ) have just beaten the AB's more convincingly than any of the home nations victories over southern hemisphere nations.
It's difficult to understand how England won with the SA second half forward dominance.
Is it my memory or have Wales won a lot of games in 2021 against 14 men.

BobP

We don't have nicknames for the English, we just sing songs and tell bad stories about the bad things certain English people did to the Irish between 1169 and 1921, we don't tar all English people with the same brush. You probably haven't read much about the history between our two countries to understand the insult made earlier in the post.
I know you guys had a disagreement with Cromwell and then there was the potato famine. I don't suppose you know an awful lot about Austria's history either. Perhaps I should feel insulted that you don't, but life's too short for such nonsense. I was born there as it happens. Regarding the insult, I shared a boat with Irishmen on a few occasions both in England and in Ireland and on two of those occasions they introduced themselves as Paddy. They obviously did not consider the name to be offensive.

JRT

Great day of rugby with England beating the Springboks and France beating the ABs. NH rugby is looking in great form.
It should be a cracking 6 nations.

JRT

England have Wales and Ireland at home, Scotland and France away. On current form Ireland, France and England will be the key contenders. Can the French win key away games?

ed_t

As said above northern hemisphere rugby looks in good health. Despite the victory and strong show by a young england team they rode their luck and with that penalty count think we could have easily been down to 13 men at times... still umming and ahhing but don't think it was an overly pernickety ref, just outplayed at the scrum and breakdown. Plenty of time to work on it for 2023.

Plenty of time for the blacks to go home and lick their wounds and come back with a new level of play as they have in the past. Think the boks will stick to the bomb squad formula because it certainly works for them and forward dominance has been their cornerstone for as long as I can remember.

diawl bach

Is it my memory or have Wales won a lot of games in 2021 against 14 men.
Teams give away penalties in the same way as they lose players. If the teams tackle dangerously they know they'll have men sent off, in the same way as they know that rule infringements cost points.

Are you saying that beating a team that's stupid enough to play dangerously is any less of a victory than beating a team which keeps giving away penalty points? I don't think so, Valetini was sent off but Beard payed the price.

PaulD

One of the biggest influences of score of the England v South Africa game was the naivety of some of England's breakdown and positional play in defence. Penalties England 18, South Africa 8.

Look at the score breakdown;

England 3 tries, 3 conversions, 2 penalties - 27
South Africa 1 try, 7 penalties - 26

From a coaching and training point of view, it's an easier task to get your team to avoid giving away penalties than get them to score tries.

original cormorant

Teams give away penalties in the same way as they lose players. If the teams tackle dangerously they know they'll have men sent off, in the same way as they know that rule infringements cost points.

Are you saying that beating a team that's stupid enough to play dangerously is any less of a victory than beating a team which keeps giving away penalty points? I don't think so, Valetini was sent off but Beard payed the price.
I was simply recalling that both in the last 6 nations and in the autumn internationals Wales seemed to have won several games against opposition with 14 men.
You know as well as I do that these days teams do not deliberately tackle dangerously and split second misjudgements make all the difference. The reds seem to have had the rub of the green in 2021 - imho England had the rub of the green yesterday.