Autumn Nations Cup

PaulD

Ireland 32 : Wales 9

I remember when Wales used to win games.

Not a good Ireland performance but Wales didn't look capable of anything other than the odd penalty.

mrnotherone

Ireland 32 : Wales 9

I remember when Wales used to win games.

Not a good Ireland performance but Wales didn't look capable of anything other than the odd penalty.
A shocking performance. A bit of bluster early on was all Wales achieved. With several injuries and several players so obviously past their best, the lack of any depth of international talent is very clear. The pack was hammered once again. It’s not clear what the coaches are trying to achieve. I can’t see it getting better any time soon.

Last edited:

BobP

It seems that Wales have been infected with the English disease of ten years or so ago - giving away far too many penalties. What was it yesterday? 17 if I remember correctly. I don't think any team can hope to win if they keep giving the opposition free chances to score either with the boot or with a try from close range, or by getting pushed back 50 metres or more down the park when they happen to get into the other side's 22.

I apologise to those on the other side of the Severn Bridge, but I thought Wales were very poor, looked dispirited and allowed an average Ireland side to look better than they are. I expect they will pick themselves up when they face England - I certainly hope so.

PaulD

I apologise to those on the other side of the Severn Bridge, but I thought Wales were very poor, looked dispirited and allowed an average Ireland side to look better than they are.

I'd agree. There was any amount of enthusiasm displayed, particularly early in both halves, but much of it was thwarted by lack of technical discipline and enthusiastic naivety. I thought the more senior players were the ones who looked the most dispirited - Halfpenny, Biggar, Gareth Davies and even A W-J who despite his iconic status, may have come to 'that point' in his career. George North, when he came on soon discovered there's not much future in being a winger in that team no matter what your experience. All is clearly not well in the Wales camp - the sudden departure of defense coach, Byron Hayward, 6 losses on the trot and mounting pressure on Mr Pivac. At international level, the basics aren't right - poor scrum, poor line-out and a penalty gift counter. Much work to be done.

JRT

Penalty count across both sides was insane.

newsflash: Argentina beat the ABs in the trinations!! I’ll be watching that today for sure

mrnotherone

It seems that Wales have been infected with the English disease of ten years or so ago - giving away far too many penalties. What was it yesterday? 17 if I remember correctly. I don't think any team can hope to win if they keep giving the opposition free chances to score either with the boot or with a try from close range, or by getting pushed back 50 metres or more down the park when they happen to get into the other side's 22.
I agree. I believe it was 18 penalties with 10 in the first 40 mins! It's not just discipline though - if you are going backwards at a rate of knots penalties mount. Add to that a dysfunctional set piece and it's going to be horrible (even against an average Ireland).

I think some of the selections were just wrong, but we have to face the fact that some of our world class players aren't what they were and the youth aren't good enough (yet?). I predict a lean time and then hopefully a younger, better team will emerge. Not sure about these coaches though :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Gdog

Let's not forget Ireland were missing some of their best players, Stockdale, Henderson, Larmour, Ringrose and a certain Dan Leavy who is now on his comeback after19 month spell of injury. Irelands go to ball carrier Stander rested, Aki rested, Murray and Earl's on the bench. Roux starts in second row?
1st caps for Lowe and Gibson-Parks, Burns off the bench. Don't forget the front row on the bench are 3rd or fourth choice players, Kilcoyne and Ryan are also Injured. Sexton was injured in the first half, Burns came on and played OK for 20 minutes, Conor Murray played 20 minutes as fly half.

Yes Ireland were average, but it was an experimental side with several players in their first season of test rugby. Agreed they will have to be a whole lot better against England.

What will happen to Wales against England if they put in another performance like last night?

Last edited:

easker1

watched a good match in the womans game, France V England Emily Scarrat was Impressive as usual, good alround game, easker1

PaulD

watched a good match in the womans game, France V England Emily Scarrat was Impressive as usual, good alround game, easker1

The women's rugby is an excellent watch, quality, committed and highly skilled players.

The England v Georgia game has also been good to watch in dreadful conditions. Georgia 'boast' the strongest scrum in Europe but England fronted that up within the first quarter with multiple scrums under the Georgia posts - by the 25th minute the Georgia scrum were 'hanging'. England's performance, even bearing in mind their opposition, was good. They played the opposition and the weather with consummate ease and a minimal error count. Georgia must be grateful the weather wasn't better. Well done to one of my local lads, Jamie George, an England hooker hat-trick!

mrnotherone

The women's rugby is an excellent watch, quality, committed and highly skilled players.

The England v Georgia game has also been good to watch in dreadful conditions. Georgia 'boast' the strongest scrum in Europe but England fronted that up within the first quarter with multiple scrums under the Georgia posts - by the 25th minute the Georgia scrum were 'hanging'. England's performance, even bearing in mind their opposition, was good. They played the opposition and the weather with consummate ease and a minimal error count. Georgia must be grateful the weather wasn't better. Well done to one of my local lads, Jamie George, an England hooker hat-trick!
How did Jack Willis go on his debut Paul?

boisker

How did Jack Willis go on his debut Paul?

scored a try (and one 50:50 that wasn’t given), 1 turnover... Georgia didn’t have the ball enough to give him that many chances.... carried and defended well... sub’d early second half.... I should imagine he was chuffed, but would have preferred another 10 mins:)

mrnotherone

scored a try (and one 50:50 that wasn’t given), 1 turnover... Georgia didn’t have the ball enough to give him that many chances.... carried and defended well... sub’d early second half.... I should imagine he was chuffed, but would have preferred another 10 mins:)

Would be good to see him get a run out against tier 1 (not Wales though..we might not be tier 1 much longer :oops: )

boisker

Would be good to see him get a run out against tier 1 (not Wales though..we might not be tier 1 much longer :oops: )

I hope he makes the squad against Ireland next week, I’d like him to start, but I very much doubt he will
... I’d also guess that England in Wales will give them the kick up the arse they need :)

mrnotherone

I hope he makes the squad against Ireland next week, I’d like him to start, but I very much doubt he will
... I’d also guess that England in Wales will give them the kick up the arse they need :)
Maybe Matt, but I don't think 'wanting it' is going to be enough for this lot.

delray

So far I've just whizzed through the recording of the Ireland/Wales game, and for the first time in years and years, I don't recall Wales getting close to creating a try, let alone scoring one. Is hapless a fair description?
Ireland looked very direct with the powerful 12 and 13 and as Gdog mentioned, there's a lot of players not available right now. They are in good fettle.

I have Amazon but couldn't watch England yesterday; have to look if there's a highlights show today.

England Women looked great yesterday; with these 2 and NZ, the women's game is in good shape and hopefully the others can get some funding and catch up.