Autumn Nations Cup

glas y dorlan

Mostly very fair comments on the Welsh team.
Hard to believe that this team got to the World Cup semis last year. I’m hoping it’s a Gatland hangover and not a Pivac protest.
My only consolation is that another NZ coach is ahead of Pivac for scrutiny this week!!!!

delray

Fiji look like being lobbed out of the Autumn comp; 19 cases of Covid in the squad. That's a 28-0 win awarded to the teams they were supposed to play...France, Italy and Scotland I think.

original cormorant

Steve Diamond is gloating because Sale were cleared of blame for not adequately isloating, but no news yet on Robshaw and his Saracens buddies.

PaulD

Defense, defense, defense . . . apart from the one late try, and a very, very good one . . . Ireland could not get over the gain line. The revealing thing for me, after the late Ireland try, was Daley's tackle on the Irish receiver in the 75th minute, on the restart, following the try - stunning and indicative of the aggressive defense mind-set.

Fair play to Ireland who competed effectively for the whole game but the tackle count of Itoje, Curry, Underhill and Vunipola was outstanding. Jonny May scored 'the' try but it was a complete team performance.

spudgun

Defense, defense, defense . . . apart from the one late try, and a very, very good one . . . Ireland could not get over the gain line. The revealing thing for me, after the late Ireland try, was Daley's tackle on the Irish receiver in the 75th minute, on the restart, following the try - stunning and indicative of the aggressive defense mind-set.

Fair play to Ireland who competed effectively for the whole game but the tackle count of Itoje, Curry, Underhill and Vunipola was outstanding. Jonny May scored 'the' try but it was a complete team performance.
What Paul said..
England's defence is excellent. Wales need to have a good talk to themselves, is it 6 or 7 lost on the trot, bit embarrassing from a top side like Wales.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

delray

Again, as Paul said, but England can't give up that amount of ball and territory and expect to come out on top against the SH sides. However, a great performance without the ball, and we've gone from back row desert to back row riches in the last year or so, and most of them are so young.
Going to pick on someone for Ireland, the No. 10 looked like a rabbit in the headlights, taking the ball both deep and standing still; may be ok if you've Ringrose and Henshaw outside, but he didn't. Very poor game, albeit under huge aggressive pressure.

Now then; am I to believe from the above that Wales lost against Georgia? Forgot all about it, so I'll try to find the highlights (lowlights) somewhere.

The England Women's team pipped France again in a very good game, but got the rub in the last breakdown/tackle area of the game. These girls are tough.

Last edited:

mrnotherone

Now then; am I to believe from the above that Wales lost against Georgia? Forgot all about it, so I'll try to find the highlights (lowlights) somewhere.
No Del, Wales with 13 changes and a lot of youngsters won 18 to nil. I didn't see it but by all accounts it wasn't spectacular. Several of the youngsters apparently showed up well.

Wales will get up for England's visit next week but on form, England should hammer them.

boisker

I’d rather Wales were playing well...
Not a fan of England turning up in Wales as strong favourites...
seems like a recipe for disaster :)

PaulD

Very competitive game Scotland v France which revealed how improved Scotland are and how much more consistent and defensively secure France are.

France just edged it and I think deservedly so, they were just a bit more secure going forward, their kicking game was more accurate and they held the physical edge. I'm hugely impressed by Dupont, the French scrum half, he's a bit of a 'complete unit'.

Roll on next Saturday!

green man

I wish Eddie Jones would keep his big mouth shut before these games.

His comments about Irish 'imports' were both hypocritical and embarrassing.

My wife is Irish. With Jones at the helm and with Farrell's inability to think on his feet, let alone string a sentence together, I wouldn't have minded if Ireland had won.

Almost as bad was that lady (ex-player) commentator C4 on Saturday. You'd have thought England were the only team on the pitch.

boisker

I wish Eddie Jones would keep his big mouth shut before these games.

His comments about Irish 'imports' were both hypocritical and embarrassing.

My wife is Irish. With Jones at the helm and with Farrell's inability to think on his feet, let alone string a sentence together, I wouldn't have minded if Ireland had won.

Almost as bad was that lady (ex-player) commentator C4 on Saturday. You'd have thought England were the only team on the pitch.

inability to think on his feet... so what exactly are your international rugby credentials.. :rolleyes:

boisker

inability to think on his feet... so what exactly are your international rugby credentials.. :rolleyes:
I imagine his team mates quite like playing with him and O’Connell always describes Farrell‘s first Lions tour at 21 being incredibly impressive... for someone who ‘can’t think on his feet’ he appears to have muddled on through...

England

Individual
  • European Player of the Year: 2017 and 2018 [39]
  • Nominated for World Rugby Player of the Year in 2012, 2016 and 2017

green man

^^^ Fair enough, but I still don't have to like the guy.

Most of that England list is duplication. And as for Saracens, who wouldn't have come away with all those gongs, but you can put an asterisk against everything on the list.

Last edited:

boisker

^^^ Fair enough, but I still don't have to like the guy.

Most of that England list is duplication. And as for Saracens, who wouldn't have come away with all those gongs, but you can put an asterisk against everything on the list.

I’m not saying I partic like him, but he’s incredibly successful....

mrnotherone

I’m not saying I partic like him, but he’s incredibly successful....
I don't like him (but then I don't like most people :) ) but I can't deny his talent. If the Lions were playing next week, I'd put him at 10.

He's never been a 12, there are far better, but Jones has a tendency to play people out of position too much.