Autumn Nations Cup

PaulD

Games like that are not 'good' for a man of my age and medical history!

Well played France is my first response . . . second response . . . England, look at yourselves!

BobP

All I can say is that England were lucky, though it is equally true to say that the pressure eventually told on the French. I doubt, though, that any side in the world would turn their noses up at a 3 point victory gained well into the second period of extra time.

I also think that Farrell has to take a break from goal kicking duties. We left 12 points, and relatively easy points for a good goal kicker out there and that should have ensured a comfortable win instead of the sphincter twitching one it turned out to be.

PaulD

It was an 'entertaining' game to watch and it has to be said that, in relation to ability and potential, England's performance was poor -particularly in the first half, accuracy of kicking from Ford was abysmal, tackle/breakdown discipline was poor and France were made to look better than they were . . . which gave them huge motivation . . . which, with credit to them, they fed on.

But no, the result wasn't 'luck'. The longer the game processed, the more likely England were going to win. If you watch it on Amazon Prime, Dylan Hartley's commentary, as a recent Captain, speaks volumes. Again, it was the strength of England's replacements that brought the bacon home.

mrnotherone

I didn't see the game, but didn't England have over 800 caps in the starting XV with just 68 for France? Also France had 6 players who had only won one cap each before the game. I was expecting a huge England win. I will have to try and catch the game sometime...

boisker

I didn't see the game, but didn't England have over 800 caps in the starting XV with just 68 for France? Also France had 6 players who had only won one cap each before the game. I was expecting a huge England win. I will have to try and catch the game sometime...
England were poor in 1st half, Farrell had a bad day kicking... I remember watching a game years ago when Wilkinson had a stinker with the boot... always comes as a shock. Daley, who everyone seems to rave about stuffed up one dead cert try, and then another very good chance... but at the end they still won. Sean Edwards was on Rugby Tonight after the game... worth watching in catch up just for that, he was going through customs at Heathrow and in fine form... he pointed out England won which is what the game is about and that they’d only lost 1 (or 2) in the last 12 months, ranked in the top 3... he did question why people were grumbling :)
it was poor at times, frustrating, but at least it was tense... a walk over wouldn't have been half as involving

mrnotherone

England were poor in 1st half, Farrell had a bad day kicking... I remember watching a game years ago when Wilkinson had a stinker with the boot... always comes as a shock. Daley, who everyone seems to rave about stuffed up one dead cert try, and then another very good chance... but at the end they still won. Sean Edwards was on Rugby Tonight after the game... worth watching in catch up just for that, he was going through customs at Heathrow and in fine form... he pointed out England won which is what the game is about and that they’d only lost 1 (or 2) in the last 12 months, ranked in the top 3... he did question why people were grumbling :)
it was poor at times, frustrating, but at least it was tense... a walk over wouldn't have been half as involving

Ha..Edwards has the knack of reducing everything to the nut and bolt. Anyway Matt, I'd give a lot for Wales to have a little bit of England's problems....

Must be terrible having the likes of Willis, the Simmonds brothers, Marcus Smith and twenty others waiting in the wings :)

delray

Marcus Smith; grew up a little today. He had an excellent game in a decent match v Glos.
Re England, only watched C4 highlights which were not very comprehensive so difficult to judge, but I'm told we were generally not very good. It happens.
It appears the word "Final" does not bring out the best in an England team (yes, yes 2003....)

boisker

Marcus Smith; grew up a little today. He had an excellent game in a decent match v Glos.
Re England, only watched C4 highlights which were not very comprehensive so difficult to judge, but I'm told we were generally not very good. It happens.
It appears the word "Final" does not bring out the best in an England team (yes, yes 2003....)
I only watched the 2nd half of the Gloucester game.... Smith was outstanding, completely controlled and took time out of the game with clever kicking...

boisker

Ha..Edwards has the knack of reducing everything to the nut and bolt. Anyway Matt, I'd give a lot for Wales to have a little bit of England's problems....

Must be terrible having the likes of Willis, the Simmonds brothers, Marcus Smith and twenty others waiting in the wings :)
I‘ve always liked Edwards, gawd knows why England RFU have never got hold of him... I watched him through his RL career.. always remember an interview with Dallaglio... talking about Edwards being his coach... described him as one of the most intimidating men he’d known... and even joked about the humour of him a gurt forward finding a halfback intimidating

mrnotherone

Yes Smith was outstanding. Gloucester will find it hard to accept that they could be so poor against 13.

Smith seems to have all the skills, but what stood out today was his decision making. I think that always separates the very best from the simply very good.

billy fish

The more I see of Smith the more I’m impressed . I hate to say it ,as an Exeter supporter, but I think I would pick him over Simmonds .

boisker

The more I see of Smith the more I’m impressed . I hate to say it ,as an Exeter supporter, but I think I would pick him over Simmonds .

I was saying that to my wife last night Colin.... being a Devon girl and a slightly obsessive (and blinkered :) ) Exeter supporter she didn’t agree.
it’s a tough call, and Simmonds has been outstanding, but with the Exeter pack and general aggressive team play he does sit in a ‘comfy armchair’... that’s what made Smiths performance so good yesterday, 13 on the field at one point and he still had control... very impressive.

England have an amazing array of talent to choose from.. the future looks ’Rosey’:)

mrnotherone

Marcus was after Dusty, 10 caps between '81 and '87.
I think Rose had a big gap out of the team? Can't really remember but I was at Twickenham in 1984 when Wales beat England 24 - 15 and Hare definitely played FB that day. My English best mate lost the bet and had to buy all the beers in the Turks Head after the game :) happy days..