Avington Trout Fishery, Hampshire

ispy968

Just got home from spending 2 days helping beginners at Avington, the water clarity is very good and when the light breeze stopped it was easy to spot fish despite hazy cloud cover. Mid day a few fish started to rise on the Middle Lake to a hatch of Olives. Leaded light olive Damsels and When All Else Fails did well. As usual a warm welcome from Bob and his hard working team.

neil_maidment

Lake 1:

IMG_3025800x600.jpg

Lake 2:

IMG_3028800x600.jpg

Lake 3:

Avington-Lake31.jpg

captainpacific

To the credit of the management, this is a true jewel of a stalking small water. Yes, the prices are high and seem to go up rather readily, but they have given us something special in return, so this makes it very good value.

Don't neglect the stream either. I have had a 4lb rainbow in there (river fit) that put up a spectacular fight.

This is not the easiest of small waters to fish and catch at, which I believe is part of its attraction. The beautiful surroundings just top it off - and it's my favourite small water.

johnyboy

I have to second that sentiment, it's an absolutely stunning venue.

Went for my first trip at the weekend, and felt a bit of an amateur (not far from the truth) when all my attempts at stalking failed miserably.

I found difficult not to catch during the morning, luckily a few on here had advised on tips to get the littluns to spit the hooks. The afternoon was a different matter though, far more challenging. Really is addictive when you target a fish that you want to hook.

It's about £20 more than Lechlade which makes it a tad pricey in my book - but i think it's worth it for a special treat.

tidy_fishing

Im thinking of paying this place a visit, its a long old journey to get there but it does look worth it, isit it a busy small water or isit just the one or two fishing there, All the pictures i see in magazines and when its on fishign programs it looks liek there is never anyone is there ! this is a good thing so hopefully its not to busy !

neil_maidment

Three lakes plus the carrier means there is plenty of room. At it's peak there will be a max of around 20/25 anglers per day.

Avington has been on superb form for most of the year and in some ways has been a "victim" of it's own improved success.

However, this time of year, the conditions make it difficult to stalk the bigger fish. There will still be plenty of stockies around 4lb+ and you will get your limit. But that's pretty expensive fishing. If you can choose your days and get good stalking conditions, you will stand a very good chance of netting a big double.

Have a look at the various pages of my blog for a reasonably comprehensive guide to the fishery this year: Chasing Rainbows

BrownieBasher

Im thinking of paying this place a visit, its a long old journey to get there but it does look worth it, isit it a busy small water or isit just the one or two fishing there, All the pictures i see in magazines and when its on fishign programs it looks liek there is never anyone is there ! this is a good thing so hopefully its not to busy !

It's never too busy. they keep rod numbers down very well.

As Neil says, now is not the best time to visit. the water will be gin clear but the light will make stalking the individual fish very difficult. On the odd bright day you may be able to see most of the fish, but the short days give only a brief window of opportunity. Avington is far better between April and September, inclusive

tonio1962

Re: Avington

First trip to Avington tomorrow. I realise that the time of year and light conditions will make stalking the bigger fish a challenge, but the opportunity arose, so who am I to do anything other than sieze the moment! When I thought about it, the variety presented by the different lakes AND the carrier makes this look reasonable value for money, compared to other stillwater fisheries in Hampshire.

I'm just pondering over rod lengths and line weight choices. Do I go 9ft or 9ft 6? Do I go 6wt or 7wt? Is 6lb leader enough or should I go to 8? Any observations/ advice welcome, but I'm really looking forward to the lakes and the carrier!

roger h 10

Don't take any notice of Avington's website. They don't do any food during the week. They don't have any smoked trout available nor do they open their e mails regularly. I booked breakfast on line and there was nothing available when my son and I arrived.
As for the completely tail less fish that I caught I did not want to be told that I should be pleased at catching such a rarity.
What should have been a special day was completely ruined, and not even an apology.

Last edited:
My 1st time was a week ago on a corporate day. 3rd week May. 2015
Most guy's caught one fish or more, there were. a few blanks and one guy got into 8,
I bagged 3 varying from 7-6-4lb, heaviest fish of the day was a good double. Best results were on the middle lake.

As suggested in other web info hot times were 8-9am, 12-1pm, 4-5pm.

Water gin clear fairly shallow, got nowhere with .25mm flurocarbon, had to drop to. 20mm, worth splashing out on decent low diameter quality stuff and use parlimor knots as these fish realy go ballistic and realy test your tackle in the 1st few lunges, i got snapped off on the loop. connection nevermind at the fly.

These triploids are hard fighters like no other.

Note : This is a single fly only venue, no wading, and bring a big net.

Highest killing tactic till lunch was goldhead large tail green damsells fished semi fast with 10 inch fairly rapid jerk retrieve, black taddies fished similar style also found interest, but the damsell's ruled till lunch.

After lunch the sun came up and they switched off the damsells, and then weighted buzzers on a slow figure of 8 did best, green and black did particularly well.

You dont need to cast for miles most fish were hooked fairly close in, i used a 10 ft 7 weight, unless you enjoy losing fish dont go much lighter, but a shorter rod in a 6/7 weight is fine. Floating and slow intermediate lines were the order of the day.

You can stalk but need to get your polaroids on and look under trees with ping casts using weighted buzzers and small nymphs.

Leave your boobies and blobs at home.

The staff were excellent, and good humored, and it's a beautiful location.

Expensive, no push over, but enjoyable for sure.

roger h 10

Don't take any notice of Avington's website. They don't do any food during the week. They don't have any smoked trout available nor do they open their e mails regularly. I booked breakfast on line and there was nothing available when my son and I arrived.
As for the completely tail less fish that I caught I did not want to be told that I should be pleased at catching such a rarity.
What should have been a special day was completely ruined, and not even an apology.

Still no apology!! Nothing!! Very disappointed!

ian2

Superb fishery and monster brown lurking in lake 2 at the moment, tempted 1 but the biggy showed little interest....Ian

cosmic

I've been bitten by the bug of getting big fish of late and my introduction to Avington is my fix for this.

Having been over a dozen times in the last few months, I always have a good time and catch there. I've taken lots of friends there and we've always had a great time catching everytime. There are some right monsters there whenever we have gone, if they'd only take my flies!!:mad: My best in one day was 9, worse 3 but the best fishing for me!

The staff from Bob, Sam, Tom, Dorjee and other lads there have always been polite, helpful and friendly. The facilities are fine, clean and adequate.

For all the fish I have pulled out of there some have been big monsters to the 6lb plus side, all looked good and solid, fins were fine bar one which had a nibble in it. I always get the fish smoked so I basically walk away from cleaning them, my choice.....:) and a great excuse to go back to collect and since I'm there do some fishing....for the whole day!

Indeed I like standing by the water for 10 hours solid, for me that's fun, I like it there, mornings and late afternoon are best times for this warm weather I've found. You get the odd greedy one at lunchtime but annoying you see fish but they are lethargic as it's so warm! I can't wait until it gets cooler as I have never had a summer season of fishing and realised how tough it is compared to winter! Live and learn! My tactics for now are starting off with a large fly working down to microscopic then back up to big by end of day, always seems to work for me as a novice.

If you see a lunatic casting non stop and getting tangled up, cursing away, that will be me, come and say 'Hi'. It might be worth following me as I have lost 2x priests, glasses, endless spools of tippet stuff, flies, sinkants, sandwich box and mobile phone! (In Lake 3 btw).....:eek:mg:

roger h 10

Strange how peoples perceptions of fisheries vary. I have spoken to 3 other people who have fished Avington recently and without even knowing that I had been there they made comments very much in line with mine. 2 of them said that lake one was unfishable and only half of lake 2 was accessible.
I personally like Chalk Springs although others have said that they feel that it is a bit run down. Maybe this is due to the old owner letting things slip but I feel this has now been turned around by Darren, the new owner.
On another forum a post states that the poster has had his line bitten through by trout on several occasions! Is this possible as I can honestly say that in all the time that I have been trout fishing I have never seen this, I have however seen plenty of leaders snap because they were not strong enough or had wind knots in them. I have also seen plenty of hooks that have come off because they were not tied on properly in the first place.
Each to their own!!

Rich Drayson

Fished here yesterday after managing to change the date from Saturday due to the wet and windy forecast. Water is very clear with lots of fish showing, a couple of very large doubles also seen.
Spoke to Dorjee on arrival. I was going to buy a 3 fish ticket but he suggested a 2 fish ticket instead as the fishing was very difficult. If I caught more that 2 fish he would amend the amount paid for the day. What great service!
Tries all 3 lakes at various times of the day and the fish just weren't interested in anything I offered them. Bright/dark, large/small flies, different retrieve rates, depths etc. I did manage to bag a 4 pounder on an orange hothead but at the moment try anything to see what works. Dorjee recommended black buzzers with a red hot spot and diawl bach nymphs though they didn't work for me on the day.
Lovely fishery... make sure you take a look at letters written by Dick Walker in the anglers tea room/kitchen.

sinkanddraw

I have been 3 times in search of a double - not seen one let alone caught. Biggest 8.5lb I have an impression (probably wrong) that doubles appear on an occassional basis but at £80 for 4 fish I can't afford to continue.

I am a seasoned stalker living near Chalk Springs and fairly OK at spotting and covering the better fish so whilst I admit to a degree of sour grapes I do feel justified in my comments. I shared the fishery with anglers clearly from a different world to me who are able to catch four then go for another ticket - £160 for 8 fish however good the average size is beyond my scope - that would be my budget for a weekend at Grafham/Pitsford or Bewl! Am I expecting too much? Should I skulk back to my economy waters like Hazel Copse with my Shakespeare rods proudly on display?

I feel that the top lake would benefit from dredging at the top or middle area to create more fish holding areas, maybe similar or more weed clearance in the middle lake, the third one I guess is interesting due to the limited "easy" swims creating a good stalking lake that the majority seem to avoid?

I realise that to critique Avington is Trout fishing heresy, but would appreciate any feedback from others either putting me back in my box or agreeing.

sakuraba1982

I caught my first double at avington weighing 14lb 6oz on the 27th July. It had been raining for a few days previous and was like the monsoon season when I was fishing but this helped by freshening the water up with so much rain from r several days and the fish were feeding well for the summer months. I have fished avington about half a dozen times over the past year or so and have only not filled my 4 fish ticket one time last year in August on a day when most other anglers blanked. I had caught a couple of fish using damsel on this particular day and saw this massive chunk of a trout swimming up in the margins and plonked my rubber legged Martin Williams stalking bug a few feet in front of it and after a tweak or two it sucked my bug in and then I had my first double. If I have one positive thing to,say about avington it’s that the fish fight waaaaay harder than Dever Springs..you get multiple runs from these fish not the flopping 30 second then belly up fight of other big fish waters. However the ticket is very expensive at 80 pounds and the have caught stocked fish way under 4 pounds at avington.....also why are there carp in a stalking trout water? Dever is a Nicer Fishery but avington has much harder fighting fish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts