Back in the day, hooks which ones?

Oldbones

Almost ready to tie some flies, but with all the old patterns I could attempt I have a small dilemma.
What hook could or should I use, I mean Kamasan B160/170/175 were not around that long ago.
I always tie my spiders on B170 or B175 hooks, but in the older renditions what hook would have been used.
Edgar Sealy, Captain Hamilton, Partridge, Allcocks, Geoffrey Bucknall, Mustad?
I know new hooks are better, but that is not what I am interested in.

wobbly face

I remember Partridge Captain Hamilton short shank spider hooks, well that was on the packet.
Sneck bend was another quirk with hooks, bends don't get a mention now.
I always go for short shank hooks for spiders, after Partridge disappeared (difficult to get hold of) I went to Daiichi 1510 (real pain de-barbing), now have Daiichi D9626BL (barbless but quite a wide gape) straight eye.
Why short shank hooks? Because I read it somewhere :unsure: and it just stuck with me. Yes I know, just tie short on standard hooks as they did way back. :rolleyes:
Robert L Smith has only a short section in hooks in his book "The North County Fly" The main interesting point he makes was they used light weight hooks back when. Plus there was a lot of small manufacturers with varying scales.

Whinging pom

Partridge are a problem for me I like the L3A-s spider hooks but after spending a year of tying so many flys on SUD’S and SLD’s and then them opening with fish on ( including a couple of heartbreakers). I can no longer trust most of the flys I’ve tied in last 12months.
I’m going to stick with Varivas and Tiemco for dries, if you looking for traditional shapes and you want new hooks, and don’t mind barbs why not look at Hyabusa range for some robust traditional looking patterns?

bbamboo

Mustad hooks are the ones I started out with back in the days when you purchased them in a small card board box in packs of 100. Up eyes for dry fly back then. Much smaller than today's a 16 was like a 20 now

Oldbones

Mustad hooks are the ones I started out with back in the days when you purchased them in a small card board box in packs of 100. Up eyes for dry fly back then. Much smaller than today's a 16 was like a 20 now
Managed to get some hooks.
5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

Oldbones

The Alcocks are nice hooks but alittle on the weak side for todays resivoir fish .
i have a few and like them for some of the rivers i fish
I have had a look at them, and they do look very fine, I will compare the modern day to these ones tomorrow.
But I think its a fact that a modern day hook is larger than its old counterpart.

rabmax

Don't know about back in the day.Probably was mustad hooks i bought as a school boy.But these day's I still use a lot of kamasan b160 hooks mainly in size 16 & 14s.Small fly with wide gape.I have landed good Salmon on nymphs tied on small b160s fishing for grayling.

Latest posts