Back pack/ day pack suitable for rods and net

Whinging pom

Looking for a small rucksack for wanderings up stream or to the odd hill tarn without spending stupid on the latest Simms or Louis Vuitton . It’s probably going to be in a cupboard 50 weeks of the year!
I need to strap on two rods and a landing net . And carry a few Reels and a fly box or two. A flask ( hot drinks not Hip!!) water bottle and have space to crumple a small water proof jacket.
And comfortable.
Anyone got any recommendations?

Mrtrout

Looking for a small rucksack for wanderings up stream or to the odd hill tarn without spending stupid on the latest Simms or Louis Vuitton . It’s probably going to be in a cupboard 50 weeks of the year!
I need to strap on two rods and a landing net . And carry a few Reels and a fly box or two. A flask ( hot drinks not Hip!!) water bottle and have space to crumple a small water proof jacket.
And comfortable.
Anyone got any recommendations?
You won’t go far wrong with the Airflo Outlander one it’ll carry everything you mention plus two tubes, very well made and about £35 if you shop around.
S.

stevel

I have some nice fishing backpacks and hip/bum bags by Patagonia which are waterproof, and are fairly pricey but there are equivalents by Maxcatch etc for a lot less money.
I gave up using vests/waistcoats years ago as when loaded up with lots of gear they were very heavy on the shoulders.
The fishing backpack has tube straps which can hold a rod tube which is handy.
Normally I would fish light and just put what I need in a bum/hip bag and carry one rod/reel in my hand. However if you're going for a full day out and not returning to the car then yes the backpack would be the better option.

stevel

This is what I have (the non-sling two shoulder version) and I think this is the style you should strive for. A net can be hung off one of the D-rings and a single rod/reel in your hand allowing for a light day out rather than being weighed down like a pack horse! The pack would be way enough for a flask full of "enriched" hot beverage, a packlite jacket and a couple of fly boxes/accessories.

I also have the Patagoina hip pack which is great and can be used as a sling over one shoulder for smaller amounts of gear. I've also used this bag as a small bag on non-fishing travel trips.

Here's a nice Loop hip pack for a lot less money: https://uk.looptackle.com/product/d...Q_fpfngGFkT43ScbQqkAMQXhogBamBmIaAmyWEALw_wcB

Last edited:

Whinging pom

This is what I have (the non-sling two shoulder version) and I think this is the style you should strive for. A net can be hung off one of the D-rings and a single rod/reel in your hand allowing for a light day out rather than being weighed down like a pack horse! The pack would be way enough for a flask full of "enriched" hot beverage, a packlite jacket and a couple of fly boxes/accessories.

I also have the Patagoina hip pack which is great and can be used as a sling over one shoulder for smaller amounts of gear. I've also used this bag as a small bag on non-fishing travel trips.

Here's a nice Loop hip pack for a lot less money: https://uk.looptackle.com/product/d...Q_fpfngGFkT43ScbQqkAMQXhogBamBmIaAmyWEALw_wcB
Thanks for the research I reall appreciate the input. I have the sims version of the hip pack which was great for a while but I tend to Wade just too deep for it .
the Patagonia looks great!

stevel

Thanks for the research I reall appreciate the input. I have the sims version of the hip pack which was great for a while but I tend to Wade just too deep for it .
the Patagonia looks great!
You can also use the hip pack as a sling pack, so out of the water!

Whinging pom

Re Simms waist/hipbag.
I bought mine as a result of drowning a mobile phone and I use to carry a little camera. So the water resistant zips were a good backstop.
One particularly hot summer my partner cajoled me to taking a small bottle of Evian too. All was going well wading by a wall like bank when I hooked up in something behind, I put down the rod to get my hands free and then lent forward on the bank to swing a leg up and felt a sickening crunch as the Evian bottle split open inside the hip bag. One dead camera and one dead phone in a bag full of spring water 🤦🏻‍♂️.

I now just fish with what’s in my pockets and around my neck. I really don’t like extras , but feeling a bit of wanderlust to maybe explore a few small Lakeland tarns next year. I’m loving the suggestions and the Airflo looks super comfortable. And I had a Patagonia hand me down for about 20 years , that I looked in this morning and noticed the linings going… it’s been a brilliant companion simple construction and bomb proof. I’ve also been in some horrendous weather with it and when all else failed the contents stayed dry so that’s tempting too.
thanks

stevel

Re Simms waist/hipbag.
I bought mine as a result of drowning a mobile phone and I use to carry a little camera. So the water resistant zips were a good backstop.
One particularly hot summer my partner cajoled me to taking a small bottle of Evian too. All was going well wading by a wall like bank when I hooked up in something behind, I put down the rod to get my hands free and then lent forward on the bank to swing a leg up and felt a sickening crunch as the Evian bottle split open inside the hip bag. One dead camera and one dead phone in a bag full of spring water 🤦🏻‍♂️.

I now just fish with what’s in my pockets and around my neck. I really don’t like extras , but feeling a bit of wanderlust to maybe explore a few small Lakeland tarns next year. I’m loving the suggestions and the Airflo looks super comfortable. And I had a Patagonia hand me down for about 20 years , that I looked in this morning and noticed the linings going… it’s been a brilliant companion simple construction and bomb proof. I’ve also been in some horrendous weather with it and when all else failed the contents stayed dry so that’s tempting too.
thanks
The waterproof bags are great, but they're not ***** proof as you need to remember to close the waterproof zips and occasionally grease them! I remember deep wading once and after getting to the end of the long run discovered that I left the zip open in my Patagonia Stormfront bumbag with all the contents sitting in 3 inches of water!

Whinging pom

I had similar this year with the Simms . I take scale samples for the EA in little brown paper envelopes, it’s not the Simms bag design that’s a problem it’s the hard drive and programming of the cretin wearing it!
I had bagged eight one evening and wandered a little deep with a zip half done. the envelopes could dry out ok but the essential pencil info of sizes and beats washed off.
They all live it the top pocket of my waders now out of harms way.

wobbly face

I have Orvis Gale Force rucksack and chest pack, just way too big. Suppose to be 30 ltrs but can hold a lot more, no padding on the back though. The chest pack which attaches to the rucksack is also quite roomy and can worn on it's own. I also have the Orvis Gale Force sling pack, used this a lot but can't attach any spare rods. Got the Simms Dry Creek Z waist pack, again quite roomy though I find it doesn't sit right round the waist with flask and sandwiches in.
My fav though is a rucksack from Overboard: https://www.over-board.co.uk/collections/waterproof-bags-cases I have a Pro Light 12 ltrs (doesn't appear they are doing it anymore). I've added attachments to clip the Orvis Gale Force chest pack to it. I have their waterproof phone case and a smaller one for car key. (y)

Dingbat

Re Simms waist/hipbag.

thanks

wobbly face

Wow the over board rucksack looks fantastic and really reasonable cost!
Bomb proof aswell. (y) Mine has been brambled, hawthorned etc. Might have a few pin holes now after many years of hard service and half submerged when deep wading. Luckily I got another 2 years back in their sale but yet unused. Their other rucksacks use thicker material and tougher again than the Pro Light.

arawa

I too have an Overboard 12 Lite and like Wobbly Face have adapted it. The pockets from Patagonia’s vest pack clip on the front D-rings perfectly to make a brilliant small waterproof pack with easy access to tackle items.

Latest posts