Back to fishing in Scotland??

sewinbasher

I just hope they don't screw it up like they have in Wales. Our alleged representatives to government Angling Cymru announced on Wednesday that driving to local fishing was permitted but by Friday they had retracted this to walking from home, but not before the press had picked it up. Today police are stopping people who were driving to go fishing! A total shambles!!!

Paul_B

I think they read the forum,
I wonder if the new blasphemy law is to stop Alan's continual gripe with the rest of the UK :whistle:

lhomme

It is frustrating to see how your devolved administrations are forced to speed up on relaxation because of a unilateral decision made in England. They must be tearing their hairs out to allow their citizens the same rights given to "the others" and keeping a balance with health security in an ongoing pandemic. Understandably this leads to chaotic precipitation and distorted communication. I do hope they cut through this Gordian knot quickly and let you ALL go fishing again. Unions should be based on solidarity not on segregated rights.

Last edited:

ohanzee

It is frustrating to see how your devolved administrations are forced to speed up on relaxation because of a unilateral decision made in England. They must be tearing their hairs out to allow their citizens the same rights given to "the others" and keeping a balance with health security in an ongoing pandemic. Understandably this leads to chaotic precipitation and distorted communication. I do hope they cut through this Gordian knot quickly and let you ALL go fishing again. Unions should be based on solidarity not on segregated rights.
That is my reading of it also, we had a pretty organised stage by stage movement plan and little pressure to change course, the distance people can travel should come before the activity they are travelling to.

arawa

I don’t want this thread to degenerate to the level of some in The Lodge, but I could turn your comment around to why should all travel at the speed of the slowest!
Please do not reply :)

arawa

That is my reading of it also, we had a pretty organised stage by stage movement plan and little pressure to change course, the distance people can travel should come before the activity they are travelling to.
Oh no, go back to The Lodge! And I suppose I had better add :)

ohanzee

I don’t want this thread to degenerate to the level of some in The Lodge, but I could turn your comment around to why should all travel at the speed of the slowest!
Please do not reply :)
Because the pace should be set by safety, why do we need the risk when a simple stage by stage opening up at the right time would save lives?
You have seen how vulnerable small communities in the highlands can be, people travelling in will spread the virus, by all means go fishing but tempting an opening up of travel I'd suggest is really unwise for the highlands.

ejw

Wouldn't it have been simpler to limit travel to a 30 mile radius in Britain (England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland). Just saying !

zulu fly

What was agreed with Angling Cymru that fishing was a form of excercise etc was negated so the facebook advice was changed - that now is history.
Golfers and cyclists must be special people.
The chief constable of Dyfed Powys does not see Fishing as an excercise - I would dearly love to take him to the river Gwili battling through the undergrowth up and down rocky banks and on Rutland throwing a Di7/8 all day, ripping back line flat out sometimes for up to 8 hours if its that sort of day.
I believe I would be able to change his perception of fishing!

Euros Jones

ohanzee

Wouldn't it have been simpler to limit travel to a 30 mile radius in Britain (England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland). Just saying !
Yes, that would have fitted with pretty much every country and been a sound unified message, maybe widened to 60 miles or whatever later.

Laxdale

Because the pace should be set by safety, why do we need the risk when a simple stage by stage opening up at the right time would save lives?
You have seen how vulnerable small communities in the highlands can be, people travelling in will spread the virus, by all means go fishing but tempting an opening up of travel I'd suggest is really unwise for the highlands.
No more vulnerable than anywhere else.
Care homes are the same everywhere too, being a captive audience for covid.
But do not underestimate the hostility of locals coming from afar (central belt).
Fishing will be local and I hope FMS will provide guidance to river managers, beat owners club officials and ghillies.
But has the first miniature got the balls (probably) to open up the Western Isles whilst keeping the ferry and air embargo in place? We have an R number of zero.

scobo

Details of easing of lockdown measures in Scotland from 28th May to be announced on Thursday.
Fishing, golf and garden centres possibly restarting.

sewinbasher

Whilst I accept your general point it's worth noting that the Welsh and Scottish administrations seemed to make a point of getting their respective statements out before BJ did for England.