Backwater chub and perch

haddock78

A few quick photos from a couple of trips to a local mill leat.

Most of it is 12in deep, but a squirmy worm run through the deeper pools produced plenty of chub to and the odd perch.

2o87OZK.jpg

yl3psql.jpg

Today was warm enough to see lots of chub up at the surface and some of the bigger 2lb+ fish cruising around.

waYxgw8.jpg

Managed more on squirmy worms and tiny beadheads. Also had a chub on a klinkhammer and lost a big fish in the tree roots which stole my final worm...

Favourite catch was this lovely fat perch.

IXSXRwc.jpg

haddock78

Could you post some pictures and details of the flies?

Are you still catching similar now there has been some rain?

Hi Jerry,

yes I have had some really busy sessions (including the ~1.5lb perch below) on this and some other stretches of free fishing. The flies are mainly mini-squirmy worms from Selectafly.

zb54N2m.jpg

Did a little tour to go and see family at Xmas and visited a few different venues and had first ever Grayling (on a cut down worm to look more like a maggot):

XmavJpg.jpg

And then this Chub from a ridiculously overgrown stream in Kent.

Qi5VVaX.jpg

All that said I've had some complete washout blanks on other bits of river.

Dunk

Cracking perch! I've only ever had one this size (and that was in Sweden on a black zonker), just not common in venues I fish. I'll happily sit in a canoe and fish for perch for hours in the Lake District. The bigger fish in the shoals always seem to hang back and lower in the water - can be tricky to reach them, even when you can see them clearly.

jerryrum

IMG_20170112_160844_zpsrp1mkc2j.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I went out with a squirmy wormy on thursday evening but I was in Glasgow and could only fish the canal.

I've got next to no experience on canals, so wasn't suprised to blank.

The weather didn't help, it was quiet interesting fishing in the snow!

IMG_20170112_163237_zpsx91xwvav.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

haddock78

I think moving water helps a lot with both squirmies and perch. I have a canal running past my lounge window and have seen quite a few decent perch on the stretch over the years, but rarely fish it now as it always seems to be more blanks than success.

The perch usually just stare at the fly from 2 inches away but there never seems to be a consistent way of getting them to take. When it's whipping past in a current they can't be so picky!

Very atmospheric winter pics by the way. :)

Latest posts