Badgers 0 Cars 8

uptomyknee_s

Driving on the A31 Winchester to Farnham today I saw 8 Badgers dead on the side of the road.
I have seen the odd one now and again but never so many as today.

PaulD

The annual estimate for badgers killed on the roads is 50,000+. The peek time is usually in September when it's the mating season and they're more mobile. Badger cubs are mostly born in February but don't venture out into the world until much before April, however adults are becoming more active as Spring approaches and this could explain how more are being hit by traffic.

bobmiddlepoint

The annual estimate for badgers killed on the roads is 50,000+. The peek time is usually in September when it's the mating season and they're more mobile. Badger cubs are mostly born in February but don't venture out into the world until much before April, however adults are becoming more active as Spring approaches and this could explain how more are being hit by traffic.

Not all of the 50,000+ found dead on the roads have been hit by cars, many have been hit by lead.

Andy

flyfisher222

Banned
Banned
Driving on the A31 Winchester to Farnham today I saw 8 Badgers dead on the side of the road.
I have seen the odd one now and again but never so many as today.
They are very common at the top of Hampshire.

And as for rabbits, you probably know they even officially renamed a part of the upper River Test valley 'Watership Down' after a book about rabbits written by a local bloke :)

Last edited:

bobmiddlepoint

Is there any proof of this as it has been on the likes of FB for a long time or is it spread by mischief

The only proof I can offer is that people have told me first hand that they do it. They weren't telling me this to impress or shock me, it is just what some people do.

Andy

ohanzee

Someone on the Archers shot a badger, that's proof that is. *

* Confirmed. David Archer according to the Ambridge Crime List

David Archer's great, great, great, great, great grandfather built my house, if I have the right number of greats,

Timothy Charles Robert Noel Bentinck, 12th Earl of Portland(David Archer) is the descendant of the 4th Duke of Portland, got his crest on ma hoose.

ohanzee

They're shot elsewhere and dumped on the road to look like road kill.
They're a known carrier of tuberculosis so not popular with cattle farmers.

Al

Ah, makes more sense, I had visions of winged badgers dragging themselves from all directions to the great roadside graveyard.