Badgers 0 Cars 8

diawl bach

Plenty of more pressing jobs to keep me on go on the land at the moment but yeah, it would be great.

They used wheat thatch in our area but I wouldn't mind taking a swerve and having a turf roof maintained by the rabbit himself

ohanzee

Plenty of more pressing jobs to keep me on go on the land at the moment but yeah, it would be great.

They used wheat thatch in our area but I wouldn't mind taking a swerve and having a turf roof maintained by the rabbit himself

I have stayed in a house with a turf roof, albeit a modern eco one, turns out turf is a great insulator, goats are apparently the guys to keep it trim, fitting it on an angle might be a challenge.

diawl bach

There are some very cool looking cabins with steep pitched roofs, as ever I can't find the image which stuck in my mind as an ideal but something along these lines, the Fairy Houses of Faroe

D246_56_638_1200.jpg

ohanzee

Brilliant, Turf - cheap, quick, efficient insulation, architecturally and aesthetically at one in its surroundings, maybe we should just accept that eco homes were just the ones they made before modern man made materials.

diawl bach

If people could build, for example, straw bale houses and get funded by mortgage companies it would make a huge difference to the climate emergency and make the countryside more attractive.
We have a community nearby, the Lammas Ecovillage which have built some great houses but it's an exception to the rule that everything has to look like a Barratts home with all the implications for sustainability which that entails.

charlie13.jpg

ohanzee

If people could build, for example, straw bale houses and get funded by mortgage companies it would make a huge difference to the climate emergency and make the countryside more attractive.

In a nutshell yes, planning departments and mortgage companies hold the status quo in the UK, crushes possibility, there are many eco home solutions that are cutting edge but can't get through planning, depressing.

speytime

I read Brian May (Queen) opted for badgers to be trapped around the area his cattle are kept/grazed, unfortunately 17 were destroyed this week due to TB, there's exactly why badgers end up as road kill.

Al

ohanzee

I read Brian May (Queen) opted for badgers to be trapped around the area his cattle are kept/grazed, unfortunately 17 were destroyed this week due to TB, there's exactly why badgers end up as road kill.

Al

Brian May is dumping them? :D

PaulD

A few years ago, a work colleague had the from end of a Golf GTE 'totaled' by a badger and the badger got up and shuffled off. More recently, the one I hit with my CRV didn't fair so well.

4wings

Badgers, I almost had one as a bonnet mascot. It ran out from a narrow lane and straight across the road in front of me, I had a split second to do something, I turned into it and luckily it continued on its run straight across the road not trying to turn back as sometimes happens. It was a big old male (biggest I had ever seen) and it disappeared through a hedge and away.
They were a fairly regular sighting along with deer and one of the regular odd jobs was to tow in workers cars after they had suffered a collision with either of these animals. Gunshot wounds were not unknown and the badger then left in the road to destroy the evidence, lots of dairy farms around the area and no one said much about badger deaths. https://www.badgertrust.org.uk/report

speytime

The other morning heading home from the ST fishing i nearly hit one, it run straight out onto the road 15/20ft in front of me while I'm travelling along around 60/65 mph, I managed to brake but only for a spilt second then I was over it (I thought) when didn't connect (as expect) I looked in the mirror and seen it still running, thank gawd for that, it could have been expensive.

A couple of weeks ago I seen a badger walking up the street early hours, a couple of weeks before that I saw a fox out in the street, I've seen a few foxes but that's the 1st badger 😁
He was in cracking condition well at himself 👍

Al

Last edited: