Bag Limit of Moy fishery

Paul Wilson

Hi All

Under new regulations what would bag limit be in September? iIhave a day on Ash Tree pool and wonder that even though 4 rods are allowed and only two of us may fish what is the bag limit now?. 4? 2?

Swifty

Moy

Hi Paul,

This from Monday's Irish Times. Seems the bag limit is three fish at the moment.

"It is easy to see why the Moy Fishery at Ballina, Co Mayo, is considered one of the most productive salmon stretches of river in Europe. Last week alone, the fishery produced a catch of 266, the bulk of which were credited to the Ridge Pool. But wait, the Moy River itself yielded 743 salmon last week, bringing the total for the season, so far, to 3,795.

Granted, last week's catch was dominated by small grilse with many weighting just 1.5kg, but still the volume of salmon returning from the sea, with all its hazards, is phenomenal. One must also remember that for those privileged anglers on the river and the catch limit of three fish, how many more salmon are progressing to the spawning grounds?

© The Irish Times "

Octopus

New Salmon Regulations for this year.
For September you will only be allowed 1 salmon.
i.e. One per person. Two people fishing - 1 each.

New salmon angling regulations 2006
Angling bag limit of 10 fish per angler of salmon or sea trout (over 40 cm)
1 per day up until 31st May
3 per day until the end of August
1 per day from the 1st September(in Lismore, Cork, Kerry,
Ballinakill, Connemara, Bangor, Ballina, Letterkenny and Ballyshannon
Districts) subject to the maximum annual bag limit of ten fish.

easky

Octupus has the right info - what I would say is that while you can keep only 1 fish per person in September you should be able to catch and release more than that. In June - August you can catch 5 fish, keeping up to 3 and releasing 2. I am not sure how many you are allowed to catch in September before you must stop, your ghillie Declan will be able to give you more info on the day.

One thing to remember/be careful of is that if you decide to keep the first fish you catch then you must stop fishing, you may therefore want to release it in the hope of catching another. This is a bit of a dilemma if you catch a fish in the first half an hour of your day as you would then have a long time twiddling your thumbs on the bank all day ;) . This happened to me on the Cathedral last year, I decided to release the fish but didn't catch anything else all day :D

With the Ashtree there are 2 people in the boat and the 2 others can wade.

Tight lines

E

davidarmes

Ash tree

Paul Wilson said:
Hi All

Under new regulations what would bag limit be in September? iIhave a day on Ash Tree pool and wonder that even though 4 rods are allowed and only two of us may fish what is the bag limit now?. 4? 2?
Paul - check out my avitar !!

Give my regards to Declan he is an excellent Boatman and a qualified Spey casting instructor !

I would check with moy fishery manager -
declan cooke - how many you can catch/ release - before you start fishing

NB also check out height / tide times on the day you are fishing

Best time for fishing the ash tree beat is low water - around 5-6 hours
after high tide and also start of next [incoming ] flood tide

Send me PM with you email address if you want more info and a
details or sample of my [most succesfull ] flies

Last edited:

Latest posts