Baking booby eyes

11foot5

Thinking of trying the baked booby eyes thing!! Any advice (apart from don’t try it!) I.e. what temperature and how long?

Rob Edmunds

Madness...Yes it makes them smoother, and exterior slightly harder but it's easy to mess up a batch and ruin the lot.

Plus they don't float as well once cooked so why do it ??

Stick to a good quality high density foam that's more robust in the first place and shape them with scissors and a dremmel ..

jeffhirst

I find the best HD foam to be Wapsi blocks..... not available everywhere though Eyebrook Tackle usually have a supply. Has anyone found an alternate foam that is similar to Wapsi and in good colours(I do not mean the Veniard range which is too soft and the eyes do not last)

franticfisherman

I think one of the attractions of boobies is that the eyes are soft and chewy and this encourages the fish to keep hold of the fly until it gets hooked. It's probably also why they tend to swallow them unless you are quick on the strike. I won't be baking mine anyway! I only use boobies when I intend to kill the fish so if they swallow the fly all the better - then they don't get off!

snow white

I have never heard anything so ruddy daft what’s the matter just trim them i don’t think the fish are going to complain

11foot5

Thanks to one and all for the replies. Looks like it’s not a well known / popular technique lol. No real point / advantage......I’ll give it a miss.....thanks again to everyone