Bamboo Rods

guest70

I'm aware that a few companies in this country produce expensive, sumptuously finished cane rods made more or less to order.

What do you forumites think of such tools? Do they have a place in modern fly-fishing? I have to admit, the tackle tart in me has always fancied one for delicate stream work, but the only cane rods I've ever held are a couple of old nameless jobs of my Dad's....and they are truly horrific: top heavy and with as much spine as a pepperami (actually that's probably quite a bit of spine.....).

So are these 'modern' bamboo rods useable fishing tools, or just an expensive means to satisfying the nostalgic urges of the older fishers amongst us?

Cheers,
Matt

sage

Pro Member
Hi Matt.

You can have a cane rod these days with any action you like, I do find cane rods fascinating, the sort of black magic behind it all, a lot of the modern cane rods aren't that heavy either, the man to talk to on this forum would be Timmy, he is making me a new top for my 77 year old Hardy, which shattered playing a big grayling.

I have a Alberto Porteilli 7 1/2' 4.5#, which is something quite special, couple it with a silk line and it is a joy to use.

DrRob

I've got 7ft 4weight Cattanach Sir Darryl taper bamboo rod and it is superb for dry fly and light upstream nymphing in upper wharfedale. I would say find a maker who can build a wide range of tapers and visit them to try out a few and talk to the maker about your fishing style and the waters you fish so he can accurately set up a taper to suit you and your fishing. Try contacting Gary Marshall at
http://finecanerods.com/
He made my 7 footer for me, and although i'm biased I am completely in love with the rod and caress it gently whilst my wife sleeps on the sofa at night :eek:

wcb

Just a thought and i might get shot down it flames here but most of the Cane rods i have seen seem to have agate lined rings.

Has anyone ever built a Cane rod but with recoil rings etc.

I am trying to think of something different and would like a short 7ft ish 3/4# cane rod but as light as possible.

WCB

Garioch

Not all "bamboo" rods are horrendously expensive..and infact you can buy some extremely good blanks for sub £150.

Have a look at http://www.chapmanblanks.co.uk/chapman_blanks/chapmanblanks.htm

There is also Norman Agutter, he has blanks sub £100. His Valhalla Cannes is a faster action, more modern I guess. http://www.norman-agutters.com/blanks.htm

I have seen cane rods with Sic rings throughout...but its wrong..soooo wrong..lol. I dont think I would use Recoils purely because they are so hard to grind to a nice taper on the foot.

Have a look at this thread for some truely inspiring photos of a "home made" cane rod http://www.rodbuildingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=20234

Last edited:

timmy

A short cane rod is absolutely a practical fishing tool on small and medium sized rivers. I can't ever recall feeling disadvantaged fishing one. There are even occasionally some advantages, many people find it easier to cast just the leader or make very short casts due to the "self loading" of a cane rod, and they will often let you cast a really tight loop without million mile an hour line speed. This can make for more forgiving casting under trees and suchlike.

However, these advantages are marginal, and rather miss the point. In the same way that a Shakespeare rod will catch you just as many fish as a Hardy. Cane rods are much more about tactile and aesthetic considerations. A tool must do its job, but a really good rod (cane or graphite) should be a joy to use. Handling a fish and putting the fly where you want it are a given, if it won't do that it's not a fishing rod. To justify the price, it's about the way it bends with a fish on. The feel as it loads on the back cast. The shape and texture of the cork in your hand. The little grin I see when the owner takes the rod out of the tube, and knows it was made just for them. From the taper to the tread-work and how shiny the varnish is. (Even the choice of rings.;))

Tim

timmy

If i were to buy a cane rod then it would def be bamboo ferruled.

WCB
Try this chap...http://www.fries-rods.dk/lang/uk/rods_detail.htm
As far as I'm concerned, some of the most interesting, innovative and just plain pretty rods out there. (no Agate too)

The down side is that lots of other people feel the same, so one of his rods will make a large dent in your wallet. Worth it though.

Tim

stevel

Yes Bjarne Fries is one of the pioneers of this type of ferrule.
His canes are up there for desirability (as well as price!), however a German maker (and one who has visibly been influenced by Fries) is Hans Jurgen Schlect. http://hjs-canerods.de/English/HauptFrame.htm
His prices are still pretty steep, but much lower than Bjarne's.

Cheers,
Steve

splash2

spruce

Agate rings

"Generally it's only the stripper guide that's agate lined." Would not really agree with that statement. My father had a selection of cane rods, coarse & fly, passed down to him from his father/grandfather. They were stored in what looked like old billiard cue carriers constructed from some type of metal. All of the rods had full sets of agate lined rings. Would guess the rods dated from around 1900 -50's. I remember him having an original Richard Walker Mk iv carp rod, would love to know where that went to!

Last edited:

richardw

Trade Member
8ft 6in #5 Hollowbuilt 4.25 oz. Designed and built by Gary Marshall after a visit from me and a chat with me waving some of his other rods around and trying to appear knowledgeable. It is a wonderful rod that I refer to as my "Gary Marshall Rod" and he very generously refers to as the RW taper rod!

He designs and builds rods the equal of any foreign rod builder. He will listen to you and help you determine what you want and then he will build it for you. His prices are, if anything, too low. If his ego was bigger then he would no doubt demand the same prices that the heavily promoted rod builders do. He is so confident that he will meet your expectations he offers a money back guarantee if you are not satisfied.

Why go abroad or pay ego driven prices when the highest quality is here in blighty?

richard

Last edited: