Barbed or not.

iainmortimer

Pays yer money and takes your choice but base it on your view coupled with use.

ExampleA
Put and take fishery.
Your going to knock every fish you catch on the head and so whether it’s barbed or not makes little difference to the fish! But you might want to go barbless for ease of getting the hook out of nets, clothes or yourself!

Catch and release fishing
Clearly barbless is the obvious choice as it causes least damage and allows for quick unhooking. But, if that’s the case, then why do many coarse fisheries ban barbless hooks stating that they cause more damage as the point moves about more?

Of course your fishery rules may well depict which option you go for.

Personally I go barbless pretty much the whole time and love the Hends range of hooks. (No I’m not on commission!). The exception is on trebles for hard plastic lures I use for bass and sea trout flies for both seem to result in a lot of ‘good’ hook ups being shaken free when barbless hooks are used.

Last edited:

DutyDruid

Pays yer money and takes your choice but base it on your view coupled with use.

ExampleA
Put and take fishery.
Your going to knock every fish you catch on the head and so whether it’s barbed or not makes little difference to the fish! But you might want to go barbless for ease of getting the hook out of nets, clothes or yourself!

Catch and release fishing
Clearly barbless is the obvious choice as it causes least damage and allows for quick unhooking. But, if that’s the case, then why do many coarse fisheries ban barbless hooks stating that they cause more damage as the point moves about more?

Of course your fishery rules may well depict which option you go for.

Personally I go barbless pretty much the whole time and love the Hends range of hooks. (No I’m not on commission!). The exception is on trebles for hard plastic lures I use for bass and sea trout flies for both seem to result in a lot of ‘good’ hook ups being shaken freewheeled barbless hooks are used.
Thanks for the consice and informative answer Iain

DutyDruid

Wouldn't dream of doing that, to very much along the lines of the ex smoker, who will always be right to preach. Not this one . You either use barbed or not to no skin off my nose it was a quriosity question more than anything.
Now there's something you don't see very often,two words beginning with qu directly after each other in the same sentence.
Thanks for the very valid answer

For me, the most important thing about barbed vs barbless is, whatever you choose yourself, don't try and ram it down the other side's throat, like some kind of sanctimonious evangelist. :rolleyes:
Wouldn't

taffy1

Seen this debate on a few fora. It basically comes down to the conscience of the individual angler & the circumstances. As previously mentioned, C&R or C&K fisheries, each can stipulate the necessary requirements as to how a particular fishery may be fished. Obviously this applies to individual stillwater fisheries, river angling depends entirely on the angler.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Fly fishing is a bit different to coarse fishing as we almost always get the fish in the mouth where even barbed come out relatively easy without the need for tools, whereas with coarse fishing its more normal to get the fish deep hooked and need a disgorger to retrieve the hook, its in this situation that I feel its far easier on the fish retrieving a barbless hook than a barbed one.

I can't remember the last time I deep hooked a fish but always carry a disgorger, forceps and a small pair of wire clippers.
I also appreciate those who use boobies will have deep hooked now and then, and have their own opinions.

iainmortimer

Fly fishing is a bit different to coarse fishing as we almost always get the fish in the mouth where even barbed come out relatively easy without the need for tools, whereas with coarse fishing its more normal to get the fish deep hooked and need a disgorger to retrieve the hook, its in this situation that I feel its far easier on the fish retrieving a barbless hook than a barbed one.

I can't remember the last time I deep hooked a fish but always carry a disgorger, forceps and a small pair of wire clippers.
I also appreciate those who use boobies will have deep hooked now and then, and have their own opinions.
True although the barbless ban tends to be carp waters and they are nearly always hooked in the mouth rather than deep hooked given modern rig design - as in since bolt rigs, bent hooks etc became common.

webblade

I prefer barbless myself or debarb before tying. Was reminded of a side benefit on Tuesday when someone coming to look at a fish I was releasing tangled in my leader and pulled the hook into my thumb. Just pulled it back out but with a barb would have been a different and more painful story.
You either use barbed or not to no skin off my nose it was a quriosity question more than anything.
Now there's something you don't see very often,two words beginning with qu directly after each other in the same sentence.
Well it shouldn't have happened here either as curiosity is spelt with a C. 😉

wobbly face

Going of hook design, I think some of the problem in coarse fishing is the use of claw or circle hooks. They have quite a curved point which I think can catch against the fishes mouth once penetrated.
We have up turned points on some fly fishing hooks, dries and jigs come to mind but nowhere near to that of coarse claw/circle hooks.

Banksie

Going of hook design, I think some of the problem in coarse fishing is the use of claw or circle hooks. They have quite a curved point which I think can catch against the fishes mouth once penetrated.
We have up turned points on some fly fishing hooks, dries and jigs come to mind but nowhere near to that of coarse claw/circle hooks.
I still have some of those. Mean looking, aren’t they? I’ve spiked myself more times with those than any other. 😐

Stopped using barbs for both mine and the fishes sake. Just got fed up watching the deep hooked fish deteriorate on the bank. Only time I leave them on is when beach casting.

taffy1

"Circle" hooks are fairly widely used for shark fishing & some American rivers for salmon, these apparently, prevent deep hooking which means a successful c&r. Personally, I haven't tried fishing for either species nor adopted the use of these hooks.

Skeletor

I'm yet to see a fish try to swallow one of these without getting hooked in the mouth.

download (2).jpg
I think it would be quite hard. I imagine you're thinking of bait fishing since "course" doesn't describe any particular method.

DutyDruid

Well it shouldn't have happened here either as curiosity is spelt with a C. 😉
Oops, stupid schoolboy mistake, I blame it on unpredictive text and the cocktail of drugs being taken at the moment. Sorry. Might have to edit the post. Nah. Leave it alone what's done is done. It may well put a smile on the odd person's face.

Skeletor

I think "course" describes fishing with one of those really well :)
Well contrary to the prevailing dogma its better for the fish. Not only does it prevent deep hooking, having multiple hook points reduces the stress on any single point of the fishes mouth. Doesn't take much to figure out how that does less damage. I guess they're the preserve of people who can figure out such things for themselves.

Jason 70

Well contrary to the prevailing dogma its better for the fish. Not only does it prevent deep hooking, having multiple hook points reduces the stress on any single point of the fishes mouth. Doesn't take much to figure out how that does less damage. I guess they're the preserve of people who can figure out such things for themselves.

You post on Fishingmagic as 'Krang' I think? I don't have an account on there, but a mate who reads this forum and posts on FM mentioned some identical threads on here and FM over the last few days. It does seem you like to go online and wind people up. I'm not sure why anyone would do that to be honest?

Skeletor

You post on Fishingmagic as 'Krang' I think? I don't have an account on there, but a mate who reads this forum and posts on FM mentioned some identical threads on here and FM over the last few days. It does seem you like to go online and wind people up. I'm not sure why anyone would do that to be honest?
Now perhaps try answering my point. Or are you resorting to ad hominems because you can't?

Skeletor

No son your not worth the time. I've seen how you have played up on FM. That's why many have given you the short shrift.
I wouldn't have thought that pointing out the faulty reasoning behind such a simple statement as "spreading pulling force among multiple points of a fishes mouth will reduce damage" would take that much time. Maybe if I get some Orvis polo shirts my argument will be more timeworthy?