Barbed or not.

mrnotherone

You post on Fishingmagic as 'Krang' I think? I don't have an account on there, but a mate who reads this forum and posts on FM mentioned some identical threads on here and FM over the last few days. It does seem you like to go online and wind people up. I'm not sure why anyone would do that to be honest?

There was a troll on here last year call Krang - posted the usual bollox and soon got banned.

flathead

You post on Fishingmagic as 'Krang' I think? I don't have an account on there, but a mate who reads this forum and posts on FM mentioned some identical threads on here and FM over the last few days. It does seem you like to go online and wind people up. I'm not sure why anyone would do that to be honest?
Krang has already been banned on here

Also banned on ‘Maggot drowners’ forum

Last edited:

BobP

We've had a few like that on here. One has even come back as three different persons. The latest edition seems to have disappeared.

Paul_B

Well contrary to the prevailing dogma its better for the fish. Not only does it prevent deep hooking, having multiple hook points reduces the stress on any single point of the fishes mouth. Doesn't take much to figure out how that does less damage. I guess they're the preserve of people who can figure out such things for themselves.
Interesting theory (one I don't agree with), so why do do you describe it as course :unsure:
maybe a Freudian slip

Skeletor

Interesting theory (one I don't agree with), so why do do you describe it as course :unsure:
maybe a Freudian slip
I describe it as 'lure fishing'. I don't think it changes from "game" to "course" if I happen to get a chub father than a trout. I don't make that distinction at all.

original cormorant

"Circle" hooks are fairly widely used for shark fishing & some American rivers for salmon, these apparently, prevent deep hooking which means a successful c&r. Personally, I haven't tried fishing for either species nor adopted the use of these hooks.
I tie tarpon flies on circle hooks which in my view/experience converts "jumped" to "landed".

franticfisherman

Back to the subject: I am surprised that hook manufacturers haven't invented a hook with a textured point. It would be a bit like the denticles on shark skin so that the tiny 'barbs' pointed towards the hook bend. This would mean that the hook could be easily removed with minimum damage to the fish but wouldn't fall out like a barbless hook sometimes does. I'm sure someone could 'micro-engineer' such a hook in this day and age of modern technology. 'Dragon's Den' anybody? :unsure:
Cheers
frantic

PaulD

Whatever. I don't use the term. Neither do anglers anywhere else.

Really?

Angling Times
Magazine

The Angling Times first printed in 1953 is the UK's largest angling newspaper. They also publish Improve Your Coarse Fishing and UK Carp magazine. Angling Times has advice from nationally known names in the sport, such as, Steve Ringer, Keith Arthur, John Wilson and Des Taylor.

. . . odd that you posted on the Classic Coarse thread.

morayfisher

Trust Member
Back to the subject: I am surprised that hook manufacturers haven't invented a hook with a textured point. It would be a bit like the denticles on shark skin so that the tiny 'barbs' pointed towards the hook bend. This would mean that the hook could be easily removed with minimum damage to the fish but wouldn't fall out like a barbless hook sometimes does. I'm sure someone could 'micro-engineer' such a hook in this day and age of modern technology. 'Dragon's Den' anybody? :unsure:
Cheers
frantic

Like annular nails maybe, quite a bit more difficult to pull out than a smooth nail.
D5CB7B18-CE42-4B4C-825A-4E5D5A4869F2.jpeg

ohanzee

I went barbless after someone hooked me in the eyebrow, had it been barbed and 10mm lower it would have removed my eye lid...I don't loose any less fish, just keep a bend in the rod and it is the same.

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
Well contrary to the prevailing dogma its better for the fish. Not only does it prevent deep hooking, having multiple hook points reduces the stress on any single point of the fishes mouth. Doesn't take much to figure out how that does less damage. I guess they're the preserve of people who can figure out such things for themselves.
EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE!
Multiple hooks embedded, actually increases the stress across the anchor point, between said hooks, and can pull out larger "chunks" of the anchor point, than a single embedded hook.
It is (multiple hooks embedded) far less likely to slip however.
regards
Bert.

Skeletor

EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE!
Multiple hooks embedded, actually increases the stress across the anchor point, between said hooks, and can pull out larger "chunks" of the anchor point, than a single embedded hook.
It is (multiple hooks embedded) far less likely to slip however.
regards
Bert.

That makes no sense. A treble hook, if all three prongs are embedded, divides the force. Obviously it then depends on the direction of the pull. But it's unlikely to be in the same direction all the time so with a change in direction would come a change in the amount of force applied to the three points, and would, over the course of the fight, reduce the force applied to any one point.

And when I say the term "coarse" isn't used elsewhere I mean places other than the UK.

taffy1

But doesn't a multi-pointed hook cause more damage inside a fish's mouth? It's the way a fish obtains oxygen, opening & closing the mouth to pass water over the gills will possibly cause other hook points to attach & rip out in various places.

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
That makes no sense. A treble hook, if all three prongs are embedded, divides the force. Obviously it then depends on the direction of the pull. But it's unlikely to be in the same direction all the time so with a change in direction would come a change in the amount of force applied to the three points, and would, over the course of the fight, reduce the force applied to any one point.

And when I say the term "coarse" isn't used elsewhere I mean places other than the UK.
The direction of pull is not dictated by the hooks!
Is the line. A pretty constant pull, Yes?
regards
Bert

Skeletor

diagram.png

Ok I made this diagram to illustrate what I mean. I just drew double hooks because obviously its easier to represent in a two dimensional diagram and the same principal clearly applies.

Last edited: