Barbless hooks for pike flies

willie_r

I've always fancied some fly fishing for toothy critters, as Rio calls them.
I've got what looks to be a reasonable outfit now.
I'd like to get back into fly-tying as pike flies aren't cheap.
And I've still got all the tools.

I've fished exclusively barbless for trout for the last couple of years, with no more fish lost than with barbed hooks.

What barbless predator hooks are available, and are they any good, or do the pike come off more easily?

Willie

jc123

i use single barbless for piking, no probs at all regarding loosing fish, no different than using them for trout, easy for unhooking

ive only tied smaller streamers on 6's & 8's, as i mainly fish on a nearby river & canal, pike nowt over double figures & option for perch too
got them from rede river

what sort of piking are you intending?

bonefishblues

i use single barbless for piking, no probs at all regarding loosing fish, no different than using them for trout, easy for unhooking

ive only tied smaller streamers on 6's & 8's, as i mainly fish on a nearby river & canal, pike nowt over double figures & option for perch too
got them from rede river

I should think not ;)

jc123

?
the bigger ones ive got i have'nt tied myself..

Last edited:

willie_r

I should think not ;)

got them from rede river

Linlithgow Loch is just a few miles away. Finally they've realised that pike are an asset, not a nuisance.
The Union canal isn't far away either, although casting could be an issue with trees behind.
Lake of Menteith and Loch Leven are about an hour's drive away.
The canal has mostly jacks, but the 3 stillwaters have some right old beasties in there.
Big doubles to twenty pounds and upwards.

Willie

running bear

Linlithgow Loch is just a few miles away. Finally they've realised that pike are an asset, not a nuisance.
The Union canal isn't far away either, although casting could be an issue with trees behind.
Lake of Menteith and Loch Leven are about an hour's drive away.
The canal has mostly jacks, but the 3 stillwaters have some right old beasties in there.
Big doubles to twenty pounds and upwards.

Willie
On tight canals get a short head over weight line such as a 40+ sniper, or make your own heads. Use with a short leader.

You can false cast along the length of the canal, and in the final delivery direct it accross the canal and shoot line. You won't win any prizes for your rod tracking, but think of it as forming a mid air horizontal d-loop spey cast. BE CAREFUL in ensuring any wind is helping you and not likely to blow the fly into your face, just as you woukd spey casting. If the wind is the wrong way, just fish in the other direction. With a bit of practice, you can easily throw a medium sized pike fly 20 yards across.

Or roll cast, but ypu may have to roll from in front of the rod tip, so distance can sometimes be compromised.

Also, fish up the inside shelf, 2 yards from the bank, most of the pike lie on the shelf or just off it.

Last edited:

T_James

I've only used barbless hooks for pike. I find that they're more likely to come off very quickly due to a poor hookhold than come adrift partway through a fight.

I'm happy with any decent debarbed or barbless.

Novice

No problems with barbless or crushed barbed. I use Ahrex barbless and Sakuma Manta with crushed barb. Both good hooks.

Riffler

For high banks, tree backed and otherwise troublesome small streams, just use a small game spinning rod and ping the fly out.
I use a well dressed 2/0, bucktail and hackle.
The dressing holds water, the single strand wire and the fly (with a single savagegear tungsten weight threaded onto the bend) gives enough weight to cast a reasonable distance.
Sacrilege, I know.

NAHMINT

With the exception of lake fishing, almost all river/stream and ocean fishing in British Columbia is with barbless hooks.........and most people, unless on a guided fishing trip ($$$$$$$$$$) catch and release anyway..........one learns to keep lines tight in short order.....

PaulD

For my larger pike flies I really like the Partridge Ad Swier hook, the CS43 -

Ad Swier CS43.jpeg

willie_r

With the exception of lake fishing, almost all river/stream and ocean fishing in British Columbia is with barbless hooks.........and most people, unless on a guided fishing trip ($$$$$$$$$$) catch and release anyway..........one learns to keep lines tight in short order.....
I have been using barbless and debarbed flies exclusively for the last couple of years. As someone famous*, who's name escapes me for the moment, "A trout is too valuable to only use once!" And exactly the same goes for pike.
*Lee Wulff? Charles Ritz?

NAHMINT

I have been using barbless and debarbed flies exclusively for the last couple of years. As someone famous*, who's name escapes me for the moment, "A trout is too valuable to only use once!" And exactly the same goes for pike.
*Lee Wulff? Charles Ritz?
Trout/salmon,(y)(y)pike, not so much.....thank the fish GODS we are not bothered by them on the Big island.

pentlandflyman

Another vote for the Ad Swier from me, fantastic hooks! pricey but worth it imo. Cheapest place for them was from Joel at Tungsten Beads Plus but i don't know if he still does them.

running bear

I've tried quite a few hooks, including many hooks designed for sea fishing.

My current favourite for patterns needing a regular to long shank, also happens to be one of the cheapest out there, is a Wizard predator hook. I got some from Bogdan and have been using them for 2 years now.

Initially I thought them strange, with a very 'square' bend and barbs at the eye. Even though i glue throughout tying, i do think the barbs decrease the chance of the dressing spinning. I use these mostly for deceiver style flies with expoxy heads, notorius for spinning if not well secured.

Where i really like them is hookup percentage, firstly they are sharp, although i'm convinced the square bend/wide gape helps getting a hookhold, especially with fish that take on the sweep, which are usually hooked well in the scissors.

I have never had any problems with hooks bending or straigtening, and i've had some lumps snag me in lillies.

willie_r

I've had a look at the Tungsten Beads Plus site.
They don't appear to sell Partridge hooks now.
They do have these, though.
Are they okay?
DohikuTPike_compact.jpg

Latest posts