Barlow Trout Fishery, Derbyshire

oddgitt

Barlow

My nearest fishery.

Lovely venue, really pretty place. Staff are friendly. Fishing is relatively cheap (£12 all day for 2 fish).

Doesn't fish well in winter IMHO, but really looking good now it's warming up.

Fish fight brilliantly, was very surprised, and good quality.

Cafe on site (bit of a walk from the trout lakes, but not really a problem.

Public footpath runs through it so you do get the odd dog sniffing your bag for sarnies.

Overall good venue.

jcwarn

Fished this venue for the first time recently and had a great day, plenty of fish up in the water and targeting feeding fish on dry fly in the clear water was good fun. I had a question for anyone who fishes this place regularly, is there a particular lake of the 4 with a bigger average size fish? I fished the 2nd lake away from the bailiff hut for nearly all the day so didnt check out all 4 lakes, all the fish I caught were around 1lb which isnt a problem, I just wondered for when I go again if there was a particular lake to fish if you wanted the chance of a larger fish?

craiginedinburgh

I got a few 2lb fish out of the third pond. I think it has to do with when it was last stocked. I don't think they put smaller fish in to certain ponds.

keelin

Hoping to go to Barlow this weekend, could anyone tell me how it's fishing, what are people catching on? this will be my first trip fly fishing this year as course fishing took over, but looking forward to getting back out. Thanks in advance for any information.

happysnappy

I'm thinking of giving it a go soon as well.
Went earlier in the year & blanked, although there were three other people there & nothing was happening.
Might go later this week if the weather holds, will report back if I do.

MobyJones

I've fished there for years. All four ponds are stocked the same. You'll see them restocking one day, all the fish come from the same container on the back of their wagon.

The bailiffs will gladly tell you which ponds have been stocked with what and when if you ask. Ponds one and two probably have a higher turnover of fish as many people can't be bothered to walk to three and four. One is the smallest.

All have populations of grass carp in there which can be caught. You'll also find the odd koi. I caught an 8lb orange koi in pond four some time back.

Damsel nymphs, montana nymphs, green and black buzzers work well all year round. Every now and then they release some large ex breeding stock fish in there. They don't last long though and are usually caught within a couple of days.

Best
MJ

saxon57

The price has gone up again it's now £15 per day for a two fish limit, on my last visit there seemed to be more common and mirror carp than Trout, I have caught on all of my visits this year the best fish being a Rainbow just over 3lb, unfortunately I have had some really poor quality and even deformed fish in my net, and have made the decision not to bother with the place again, it's only my opinion but the Trout Fishery seems to be on a down hill path, I don't mind prices going up, that's a fact of life, but I do expect the quality of fish to be improved or at least maintained :mad:

jamesjigus

I would add that from a casting point of view, it is a fairly good place to take a beginner as there is plenty of easily accessible water. Because of the relative size of the ponds, you never feel too far away from the fish although I would concur about the fairly average quality of the fish. I personally don't bother so much with the venue and would prefer to go to Press Manor near Chesterfield which offers an all together different proposition.

MobyJones

It was £8 for a 2 fish ticket just three years ago. I'm not sure how they justify the near 100% price hike in that short space of time. I was thinking of going there this weekend funnily enough as a friend wants some casting tuition. How is it fishing these days?

happysnappy

Hoping to give Barlow a try mid week next week, anyone else been at all this year?
Don't get to go much, so somewhere nice, small & open is ideal for me to (try &) get my eye back in again!

jcwarn

Happy snappy - there's a recent thread on the general forum about Barlow that is pretty up to date, it sounds like a mixed bag at the moment, to be honest it's not been sounding great over the last few months with problems with weed and undersized fish (I've not fished it since Jan to be fair) but a couple of people on the thread set it looks to be picking up, which is good...the thread is here http://www.flyforums.co.uk/general-fly-fishing-discussion/154918-barlow-fishery-derbyshire.html

I'm going to give it another go soon so I can make my own mind up, let us know how you get on if you do go!

happysnappy

Thanks for that link, I hadn't seen that thread.
I might drop by & have a look today to see if anything's happening as I'm over Chesterfield way working this afternoon anyway.
Might give Press Manor a try if not. Just want a nice small water as I find Ladybower, Carsington etc. a bit daunting to be honest & wouldn't know where to start with such a huge peice of water!

dell

anyone fished here recently?
i gave it a bash last year on my first ever fly session.
i fancy having another crack at it.
any advice, tips etc please folks?
cheers
Dell

greyhoundgirl

anyone fished here recently?
i gave it a bash last year on my first ever fly session.
i fancy having another crack at it.
any advice, tips etc please folks?
cheers
Dell

Dell
I went last Thursday having boycotted it for 18 months or so thought i'd give it another try, as i took dog for a walk down there and met a guy who told me he'd had a one and half pound fish out the week before:eek: amazing - most hadn't been takeable size when i last went.
Anyway, about 6 of us there as the day progressed and the few fish that came out were tiddlers, not worth taking and little fight. One i had was particularly scrawny - from 2nd pond, i wondered if there's adequate life in there to feed them?
It used to be a pretty place and peaceful but with all the banging and clanging/rubbish from the yard opposite it's lost even that.
All in all, i tried it, parted with 15 quid (take two:rolleyes:) and i won't be back again in a hurry. If you do go let us know how you get on?
grey
Anyway, £15 quid, take

dell

ah right then, sounds like nothings changed! thats a shame cos its a nice place, last time i was there the water was crystal clear and the trout i did see were not the biggest lets say!
hmm guess its gonna have to be press manor again then lol
thanks Grey :)
Dell

mac 10

Don't bother. Go to Press Manor instead. Camped at Barlow fishery last summer and it was unfishable. Unhealthy looking fish and lakes in poor condition.

Press Manor was brilliant. Fantastic fish, well kept and friendly.

Tight lines!

Nick.

Guest104

I went to Barlow yesterday. i'm a bit of a novice ,caught 7 fish all very small not really a takeable size . I fished all 4 lakes and found 4th lake better along side the wooden bridge. used mostly black buzzer and goldhead cats whisker. There were 7-8 others fishing all seemed to be catching fish , one chap lake 2 caught 20 plus on black buzzer and egg fly , all his fish were small fish apart from one which was around 2 pound. there does seem to be lots of building going on and noise of vehicles but still enjoyed my day.

jamesjigus

Had a couple of hours at Barlow this week. I don't know why I came to this place as I really think the trout fishing is dying a slow and painful death here. I managed to get a couple of small rainbows (about 0.5lb each) which were released.
I'm not bothered about catching monster rainbows but with other fisheries close by (Press Manor, Ladybower, Carsington etc) where most of the fish you connect with are 1.5lb+ and in great condition I simply don't understand why they can ask £15 for the day ticket here?
Lake 2 is currently drained and I do wonder if they're either: 1. Going to invest in the trout fishery and improve it :thumbs:, or 2. Sacrifice the trout for course fishing:(.
I first visited Barlow in 2003 when it was about £9 - the fish were great and the four 'ponds' presented a fairly unique fishing challenge and opportunities. It was also a great place to take a beginner. I am sympathetic to fishery owners who have to compete with ever rising costs of managing and maintaining a fishery and the cost of stocking etc. I really think that there should be an 'all or nothing' approach to it though and regrettably I think the owners here appear to have lost interest in the trout fishing although I hope that I'm wrong!!!!

Latest posts