Barlow Trout Fishery, Derbyshire

greyhoundgirl

Thanks for the update james. was considering a reccy the other day to see if any improvement had taken place. great shame, a few years ago Barlow was a cracking little place to fish. You may be right about the coarse fishing - i heard 18 months back that the owner was intending to make it coarse only
grey

ant77

Thanks for the update james. was considering a reccy the other day to see if any improvement had taken place. great shame, a few years ago Barlow was a cracking little place to fish. You may be right about the coarse fishing - i heard 18 months back that the owner was intending to make it coarse only
grey

I usually call in once or twice a season on a Summer's evening as its an idyllic little place and my girlfriend likes to sit on the bank and read a book or do yoga. This season I went once and it was, afraid to say, in a state - the water was very cloudy and there was the constant noise of what sounded like a breaker's yard. I asked the ticket fella if it was still a trout fishery and he laughed and said of course it was but I wouldn't catch anything because it was too hot. Of course I like a challenge so took him up, and failed. The only things showing were those monster carp and I ended up chasing them around. The place has excellent fly life and often boils in the evening although the trout are very very choosy on the dry. Best fish I had there in 2011 was a lovely two pound hen. Hopefully it'll get back on track next year because I'd miss going. I can't see why they'd want another coarse pond as they already have four of those. Don't forget you can also have a crack at the brook for wild browns/escapee rainbows.

jcwarn

It's a massive shame that this place appears to be dying a death, it's a lovely little venue and, whilst there is obviously competition locally, I think it was unique in its layout and I loved fishing there when it was doing better a couple of years ago. I may be wrong but I think the sad thing is that there is an appetite to fish it from local anglers, people just feel their getting mugged paying £15 for poor fishing.

It becomes a vicious circle that I've seen elsewhere where poor quality fish means anglers don't return, anglers not returning means owners says its not worth investing in regular stocking as no-ones fishing it regularly, and on it goes.

My experience of the place has always been that none of the ownership seems to know or care about the trout fishing side of things but if someone knew what they were talking about and cared about the trout ponds it could quickly become good again.

Would be a massive shame if it went over to an all-coarse venue.

Jon

MobyJones

Does Arthur the bailiff still work here does anybody know? I live just 10 minutes drive from the place but have not been in ages as the fishing went downhill.

I keep thinking anout going back, but reviews like this really do put me off to be honest. It certainly doesn't sound like it's worth the ticket price right now, which is a real shame. :(

greyhoundgirl

Does Arthur the bailiff still work here does anybody know? I live just 10 minutes drive from the place but have not been in ages as the fishing went downhill.

I keep thinking anout going back, but reviews like this really do put me off to be honest. It certainly doesn't sound like it's worth the ticket price right now, which is a real shame. :(

Sadly Arthur passed away a couple of years ago. A lovely man, and missed by many Barlow regulars. This coincided with the downhill turn unfortunately.
grey

MobyJones

Sadly Arthur passed away a couple of years ago. A lovely man, and missed by many Barlow regulars. This coincided with the downhill turn unfortunately.
grey

Thank you for the reply. That is sad news. I learnt a lot from Arthur.

I remember him telling me that they had had some issues and essentially lost a years worth of trout tjat they had farmed and as a result had bought fish in. They were a reasonable size, but a few months later they'd started stocking with small fish they'd produced themselves. Basically they were not as big as they should have been due to an 'accident' which killed their stock. It sounds like they've never really recovered from that.

chrisbrooks61

hi, just want to concur with what people have been saying, fished there once 2012, early autumn, both me and my dad went through near enough every fly we had, he even had two rods out at one point (one float, one sink) all we managed in about 6 hours fishing was one rainbow i had out on a cats whisker about half a pound, worth £15? (each), i dont think so guys :-(

greyhoundgirl

When it became apparent, a couple of years ago, that stocking was inadequate I made a point of asking if i was likely to catch the same three tiddlers that i was on first name terms with again. The point was made, and incidentally, i gathered it was practice tell anglers it had "just been stocked" if they asked (don't ask the source or i'll have to track him down and kill him:D).
They are well aware i believe, but if people continue to fish in reasonable numbers then there's still a profit to be made???
Still a shame. Be good to see a revival of a lovely little fishery.
grey

glymo

Well the good news this early February (2014) is that things have picked up . I fished it twice in January and two chaps I know have fished it recently. Latest was last Thursday/ Bot reported fair numbers of fish to around 2lb , and good condition for the time of year especially. The shelters have been tidied up, and there seems to be a keeper around also. The top two ponds and the bottem one seem to be fishing well, the larger one is full of carp and looks to be silty and weedy still.. My friends who fished it thought it was good value for money.
A group from the Hope Valley Fly Fishing class fished it in October as novice as they were, some had a pull or two if not an actuall fish, and it has been reasonble all winter.

long my the revival continue, it is fair to say they did have some problems last year, not entirly of their own making.

glymo

hello old bean! we should be tucked up with a cocoa and not ####ring about on t internet! hope you are well, see you around!

ant77

What have you got puuko? You'll ordinarily get away with up to a #7 fished carefully, but will be fine with a #4 when you know what you're doing. A longish rod is advantageous where the back-cast is steep so 9' + will be a good start.

However, it also really depends on where else you're going to be fishing so I wouldn't recommend just buying an outfit for Barlow. If you haven't got one yet but intend to fish stillwaters/ressies in the area I'd be tempted to say head for a 9'6" #6 to start with. Floating line is usually absolutely fine here.

PS. If you're in the area you could do a lot worse than pop in to see Big Pete at http://bakewellflyfishing.co.uk. He'll tell you whats what and explain anything you need to know at length. Just give him a buzz before heading there as he isn't always in.

Last edited:

puukko

Not got any gear yet! Complete newbie,I am 100% certain I want to fly fish,I am not going to rash buy.I want to aim at small stillwater and possibly largish rivers.

Last edited:

ant77

Hi again. In that case you'll probably be best with a #5, depending on which river. Best thing to do would be get a casting lesson or two where you'll get an idea of what you're after. I think Pete does these too and he could show you at Barlow.

thomasnbec

Couldn't agree more
I would go see Pete he will put you right as a beginner just as he did me.
Also if you buy an outfit from him you get a free casting lesson which is well worth it. I still use the things i learned on my 1st lesson after fly fishing for 2 years
I fish barlow, press and the derwent with a 9'6 5wt

glymo

Is up for sale:
Land for sale in Barlow, Dronfield, Derbyshire, S18

I wonder what the future holds for the fishery?

The fishery has been a pleasure to fish over many years. It has had ups and downs we know, but a great place for a quick session especially when the rivers are out of order. I hope it continues as a fishery with sensible pricing and as at the moment, some nice fish too.

good luck to Rex and every one.