Barlow Trout Fishery, Derbyshire

ant77

Couldn't agree more, Pete. Its still open for business and Rex's missus seemed very sad about it all when I spoke to her this evening. After all the sale is due to ill health and folks getting on in years.

I popped up tonight armed with a 10' Streamflex #4 - you know the one :) - and was pretty bloody surprised when my first fish came in at over 3lb, having taken a damsel nymph fished deep and slow. The second was a similar weight, and the third too, both putting some heinous curves in the rather under-gunned set-up. Damsels were most definitely on as the place was crawling with them although I still didn't see a single trout take an adult!

Fourth fish (from pond 3, taken on a CDC Hopper) topped the others and the rest of the fish of the night, falling to CDC Shuttlecock emerger 18s and CDC Sedge patterns, were all in the 1.5-2.5lb bracket. This is not what we've come to expect of Barlow in recent years and the reason is that the fish have come down from Hathersage.

Although pond 2 was in rude health I can't really say the same for the others but, as we know, the place is proving difficult for the present owners. However it is still very much worth a visit! Whatever you do, don't forget a landing net!

Its a really enchanting place to be on a mid-Summer's evening and the fly life is outstanding. Even though many of the trout are quite recently stocked they're no mugs and I think this may be because the plethora of natural food has them switched on from early days - thus in the four hours I fished tonight I had to follow the hatches and work out what the fish were feeding on to get the results.

All the best to Rex and family

BarlowOrchid_zpsa269fc78.jpg

Last edited:

windsock

Had a great day at Barlow last Friday, 21 November. Caught 6 (1 brown, 5 rainbow) on a three fly rig: orange blob on top dropper, diawl bach in middle, and bushy damsel nymph on point. 4 took the damsel, 2 the blob. Fished on a floating line with 9 or 10 ft leader. Let it sink for a count of about 20, then made a slow retrieve. This was all on the third lake.

I was also there about a month ago and saw them re-stocking, so it's still an active fishery despite the uncertainties about its future. Apparently the sale is now on hold. They've stopped putting trout in the 4th lake, as there are plans to turn this into a carp lake according to the woman who issues the day tickets.

Last edited:

steve1968

Anyone been here recently , i am relativly local and also new to fly fishing .

Any other recomendations in the Derby area ?

G

guest54

Anyone been here recently , i am relativly local and also new to fly fishing .

Any other recomendations in the Derby area ?

It is what it is, four small trout ponds are never going to compete with the bigger commercial trout fisheries but it fill's a need locally, especially since some of the other trout fisheries went over to coarse fishing and it's a place I enjoy the occasional trip to.
Plenty of fish although they can take some catching at times, better to fish towards evening and try smaller flies for consistency, lures will catch but small buzzers, nymphs, spiders and dries work well enough for me.
For dries, size 14-16 Greenwells Glory, Black Gnat, hoppers or Hares Ear(dry).
Finding the depth the fish are at is the key to success at Barlow, more so when fish aren't showing.

MobyJones

It is what it is, four small trout ponds are never going to compete with the bigger commercial trout fisheries but it fill's a need locally, especially since some of the other trout fisheries went over to coarse fishing and it's a place I enjoy the occasional trip to.
Plenty of fish although they can take some catching at times, better to fish towards evening and try smaller flies for consistency, lures will catch but small buzzers, nymphs, spiders and dries work well enough for me.
For dries, size 14-16 Greenwells Glory, Black Gnat, hoppers or Hares Ear(dry).
Finding the depth the fish are at is the key to success at Barlow, more so when fish aren't showing.

It's down to three trout ponds now. Number four has been changed to specimen carp with overnight permits I believe.

I agree it is what it is.

For newbies just learning to cast I think it's a very good fishery as there are many places with nothing behind you and compared to the Derbyshire Wye day ticket prices it's very much affordable!

For me Montanas, damsel nymphs and black buzzers have always worked well. Hoppers and double badgers have their moments too. :)

G

guest54

To be honest Moby, I never rated the forth lake anyway, too late in the sequence to get a good flow of water going in and heated up too quickly for trout to be happy. It's the way many trout fisheries have and will continue to go. It only takes one or two bad reports or rumours to keep people away and the fishery then has no choice if it is to continue in business.

Note the earlier report of Colwick park in Nottingham, not many anglers?. What future in these times when council budgets are so tight?.

MobyJones

I always have most success with lake 2 for some reason. I might go tomorrow now. Injured my shoulder recently so need to see if I can still cast!

When was the last time you fished there? Have you ever fished the brook?

G

guest54

I always have most success with lake 2 for some reason. I might go tomorrow now. Injured my shoulder recently so need to see if I can still cast!

When was the last time you fished there? Have you ever fished the brook?

Lake three is my favourite especially in the evenings when it seems to come alive, more so than the other ponds, size 14 and 16 Greenwells glory is my favourite there.

lock4ward

Has anyone been recently for an updates on how it's fishing. Google reports from a few months ago report overgrown banks?