Barrio fly-lines;

Uncas

I am finding it difficult to get any response when ordering lines off the website.
Does anyone also have this problem, or am I doing something wrong.

barden neil

I am finding it difficult to get any response when ordering lines off the website.
Does anyone also have this problem, or am I doing something wrong.
Last line I bought I had to email them and then wait a couple of weeks for it to come into stock. They did respond to my email fairly quickly. Marketing directly via the website seems to be a real problem for them, goodness knows how much business they lose as you often find the site shows virtually everything is out of stock. Very strange considering their products are held in high regard.

taffy1

This is what Mike had to say on his forum.

Update 04/05/2021:

The last 12 months have been extremely challenging for a small business, dealing with slow and unpredictable manufacturing throughout the Coronavirus pandemic, and additionally, trying to keep on top of how best to supply our customers in Europe.

We thought that the situation would have improved by now and that our shelves would be full again, but the challenges have recently become greater.

There are three fly line manufacturers, or factories, in the UK:
One, whose primary business is to produce fly lines for their own brand.
A second, which closed its operations and ceased trading recently.
The third, our usual supplier, is currently closed due to unexpected circumstances, but hopes to get back to work reasonably soon.

All of which means that most fly line brands that have their fly lines manufactured in the UK are currently without a supplier.

What is the current situation at Barrio Fly Lines?

Our fly line shelves are almost empty, but we should hopefully be receiving a batch of GT90 and Mallard #3, #4 and #5 lines towards the end of this week, if not next week.

We will always endeavour to support UK manufacturing wherever possible and will continue to source and receive products from our usual supplier as soon as they are able to get back to work.

We discussed the possibility of producing some of our products with a fly line manufacturer based in the USA last year. We have placed an order with this manufacturer, and this is scheduled to go on their machines as soon as they can catch up with their current backlog of orders caused by the pandemic. Realistically, this is probably about 3 to 4 months away.

Thank you for your support and patience!

Mike Barrio

taffy1

With regards to new orders, Mike posted this.

I am unable to offer timeframes for individual product availability I'm afraid, as manufacturing in the UK continues to be slow and unpredictable in the Coronavirus pandemic.

Everybody at the factory is doing all that they can to increase production, but demand has simply been much higher than our manufacturing capabilities in the current situation.

We are receiving regular stock deliveries, but these are selling out extremely quickly.

Please select the line that you would like in the webshop and use the 'Notify Me' button to receive an instant back in stock email notification when each product arrives.

As always, our website will only allow you to order products that are in stock and ready to ship.

Best wishes
Mike

hooferinsane

As in the post above, use the ‘notify me’ button to get emailed when back in stock. That’s how I got my mallard fly line, I did act quickly on getting the email though.

iainmortimer

Thanks for the posting the updates. Mike is as sound a person as you’ll ever come across and I’m sure that whatever pain customers may be feeling at the difficulty of getting stock, Mike will be feeling many times over.

karlpolly10

Mike replied to my email very quickly explaining the difficulty with supplies due to the pandemic, cant ask for any more than that, hopefuly he will be able to get back up to speed before too long.

beetlebum

I managed to get a GT90 recently when my in stock email came through. As said above, it must be more frustrating for Mike than it is for us. Having had numerous lines off him I will say that they are well worth the wait.

Tangled

He's got a lot going for him; he's a UK business, he knows his stuff and sells good lines at reasonable prices.

But I'm worried for him. It's hard to see how he can just ask other companies to make the same line for him unless he has the entire production process replicated. Why not make your own lines if you can do that?

PaulD

I'm not sure I'm quite with you there Tangled. Are you suggesting that Mike Barrio should consider manufacturing his own lines? I think you need to consider why there are so few fly line manufacturers in the World - 6 or 7?

As a business model, investing in the necessary property, production machinery, resources and staff and then continuing to market them at £30 - £40 per unit would lead to accountants screaming and running for the nearest exit.

Tangled

Are you suggesting that Mike Barrio should consider manufacturing his own lines?
It must be an option. It seems that there are at least two UK line making companies that he could have picked up for practically nothing.
I think you need to consider why there are so few fly line manufacturers in the World - 6 or 7?
And more importantly the fact that China is selling excellent lines now for a few quid.
As a business model, investing in the necessary property, production machinery, resources and staff and then continuing to market them at £30 - £40 per unit would lead to accountants screaming and running for the nearest exit.
Really? Have you done a business model? I'd love to see it.

Tangled

I really doubt Mike Barrio has seriously considered investing in a Chinese production source.
You haven't the first clue what he's considered.
But that's by-the-by I thought you were going to enlighten us on the business model for line manufacture?

PaulD

'You haven't the first clue what he's considered.'

Neither do you but you suggest he undertakes manufacture of his Barrio lines.

'But that's by-the-by I thought you were going to enlighten us on the business model for line manufacture?'

Not at all, I suggested you might like to consider the economics of setting up a manufacturing process. I'll leave the ''enlightenment' up to you because you are the acknowledged 'enlightened' expert.

Tangled

'You haven't the first clue what he's considered.'

Neither do you but you suggest he undertakes manufacture of his Barrio lines.
I asked a question - 'why not make your own line?' He must have considered it many times, particularly lately. I also bet that he's looked at China outsourcing. Probably more than once.

'But that's by-the-by I thought you were going to enlighten us on the business model for line manufacture?'

Not at all, I suggested you might like to consider the economics of setting up a manufacturing process. I'll leave the ''enlightenment' up to you because you are the acknowledged 'enlightened' expert.

You actually said

"As a business model, investing in the necessary property, production machinery, resources and staff and then continuing to market them at £30 - £40 per unit would lead to accountants screaming and running for the nearest exit."

Which seemed to suggest that you had some actual evidence to support your assertion.

ohanzee

Most tackle companies don't make their own lines because it costs millions to set up and maintain production, I would have thought someone who can create a thread called 'understanding fly lines' would have noticed that fairly obvious fact.

bobmiddlepoint

It's hard to see how he can just ask other companies to make the same line for him unless he has the entire production process replicated.

I used to work for a company that made entire helicopters (as well as bits of airliners, jet fighters, torpedoes, nuclear submarines and turbo chargers) that were designed by other companies. We had these things called drawings and specifications to work to.

A fly line is just a bit of string dipped in plastic. Plastic dipping string companies are hardly going to struggle to replicate his designed profiles and densities.

Understanding manufacturing anyone?

Andy

Tangled

Most tackle companies don't make their own lines because it costs millions to set up and maintain production, I would have thought someone who can create a thread called 'understanding fly lines' would have noticed that fairly obvious fact.
Explain how it costs "millions". (In another thread you said that it was done in a kitchen.)

Latest posts