Barrio fly-lines;

Tangled

We had these things called drawings and specifications to work to.
What is your point? Are you inferring that Barrio is not designing his own lines?
A fly line is just a bit of string dipped in plastic. Plastic dipping string companies are hardly going to struggle to replicate his designed profiles and densities.
Of course. That's why you need a brand. With a brand, you can command premium prices for commodity products. Barrio has a decent enough brand to at least have a chance.

ohanzee

Explain how it costs "millions". (In another thread you said that it was done in a kitchen.)

The first plastic fly lines were coated silk, and the founders of Scientific Anglers made working prototypes in their kitchen.

I hope you are not suggesting Mike Barrio does this.

If you have ever seen the machine that fly lines are coated on(you have, you posted a youtube clip of one) and know even the very basics of manufacturing you will know that machine is not cheap, you are looking at hundreds of thousands in that alone, your suggestion is just very naive.

ohanzee

What is your point? Are you inferring that Barrio is not designing his own lines?

Of course. That's why you need a brand. With a brand, you can command premium prices for commodity products. Barrio has a decent enough brand to at least have a chance.

A chance at what? he is a cottage industry that already competes with big brands, who also outsource manufacturing.

Tangled

The first plastic fly lines were coated silk, and the founders of Scientific Anglers made working prototypes in their kitchen.
So not millions then.
I hope you are not suggesting Mike Barrio does this.
As we all know, Barrio does not make lines.
If you have ever seen the machine that fly lines are coated on(you have, you posted a youtube clip of one) and know even the very basics of manufacturing you will know that machine is not cheap, you are looking at hundreds of thousands in that alone, your suggestion is just very naive.
There are many ways that it wouldn't cost "hundreds of thousands of pounds" - if you like I'll explain them. But apparently a line is just a "piece of string dipped in plastic" We're assured by the forum's manufacturing expert that anyone can do it. So I'll leave you to argue that.

bobmiddlepoint

No you plank. My point is that lots of people design things much more complicated than fly lines and other people make them. Of course he designs his own lines but anyone he chooses to outsource to in the business will have no issue making them. You plainly said you couldn’t see it working if he couldn’t replicate the entire process. Again you are clearly showing just how little you get anything.

Bob.

Tangled

No you plank.
You really can't behave like a decent human being can you? I thought were just deliberately unpleasant, but now that I know that it's a disability, I really can't blame you for it.
My point is that lots of people design things much more complicated than fly lines and other people make them.
Right... who knew?
Of course he designs his own lines but anyone he chooses to outsource to in the business will have no issue making them.
Given that he sells good lines at a decent price, I think we can assume that he wasn't outsourcing to a candle maker and knows better than to do so.
You plainly said you couldn’t see it working if he couldn’t replicate the entire process. Again you are clearly showing just how little you get anything.
Is there anything you can't joyfully leap to the wrong conclusion about?

LukeNZ

Most tackle companies don't make their own lines because it costs millions to set up and maintain production, I would have thought someone who can create a thread called 'understanding fly lines' would have noticed that fairly obvious fact.
I think that is the real ‘rub’ for a lot of people; the fact that credible authoritative accounts cannot be written by people who clearly don’t understand anything about the chosen subjects..

An egotistical buffoon wouldn’t see a problem in that; in fact, would probably argue why not.. as it all looks simple enough?

🙃

ohanzee

So not millions then.

As we all know, Barrio does not make lines.

There are many ways that it wouldn't cost "hundreds of thousands of pounds" - if you like I'll explain them. But apparently a line is just a "piece of string dipped in plastic" We're assured by the forum's manufacturing expert that anyone can do it. So I'll leave you to argue that.

I can't tell if you are having a laugh or trying to be serious, after researching lines and doing a thread called understanding lines you still appear to have absolutely zero grasp, and just can't help yourself from advertising it.

jmac

I can’t believe that I’ve just read this entire thread. Not that I liked Mike Winner, I’m reminded of the catchphrase he used in his adverts “Calm down dear!” I like Barrio lines and the service Mike Barrio delivers and I hope he‘s able to source the full range of his lines soon.

Tangled

I can't tell if you are having a laugh or trying to be serious,
I'm trying to have a reasonable discussion with gown-ups. I really should know better by now. Some sort of masochism I think.
after researching lines and doing a thread called understanding lines you still appear to have absolutely zero grasp, and just can't help yourself from advertising it.
More contentless abuse. Pack it in, you're wasting bandwidth.

Line making is either as simple as "dipping string in plastic" and can be done in the kitchen or it costs millions apparently. Obviously all nonsense.

It would be an interesting investment. Particularly if you can buy the assets of the brandless manufacturers that have failed. Make or Buy investment cases are always my favourite, I've done a couple of dozen of them, but I have a heavy bias for the control, certainty and knowledge that build gives you. Highly unfashionable of course, but outsourcing, as we've seen, has its own problems. Worth thinking about I reckon.

ohanzee

I'm trying to have a reasonable discussion with gown-ups. I really should know better by now. Some sort of masochism I think.

More contentless abuse. Pack it in, you're wasting bandwidth.

Line making is either as simple as "dipping string in plastic" and can be done in the kitchen or it costs millions apparently. Obviously all nonsense.

It would be an interesting investment. Particularly if you can buy the assets of the brandless manufacturers that have failed. Make or Buy investment cases are always my favourite, I've done a couple of dozen of them, but I have a heavy bias for the control, certainty and knowledge that build gives you. Highly unfashionable of course, but outsourcing, as we've seen, has its own problems. Worth thinking about I reckon.

Do yourself a favour and stop, if you can't work out the difference between the first prototype being made in a kitchen and mass production you are clearly not ready for brand asset buy ups.

You have 'a heavy bias for control'? 'done a couple of dozen of them'? who on earth do you think you are fooling?

bobmiddlepoint

You really can't behave like a decent human being can you? I thought were just deliberately unpleasant, but now that I know that it's a disability, I really can't blame you for it.

Right... who knew?

Given that he sells good lines at a decent price, I think we can assume that he wasn't outsourcing to a candle maker and knows better than to do so.

Is there anything you can't joyfully leap to the wrong conclusion about?

Re your first point yes I can but not when dealing with a BSing twerp!

As for your second and forth points... you said "It's hard to see how he can just ask other companies to make the same line for him unless he has the entire production process replicated."

Well no it's not hard to see at all. You say to a fly line manufacturer "Here is my design and specifications" and bugger me backwards they produce the line to that design and specification. It's what (being fly line manufacturers) they do, they will be able to replicate the process. You might (obviously do) find that hard to see but nobody else does.

Bob

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
Re your first point yes I can but not when dealing with a BSing twerp!

As for your second and forth points... you said "It's hard to see how he can just ask other companies to make the same line for him unless he has the entire production process replicated."

Well no it's not hard to see at all. You say to a fly line manufacturer "Here is my design and specifications" and bugger me backwards they produce the line to that design and specification. It's what (being fly line manufacturers) they do, they will be able to replicate the process. You might (obviously do) find that hard to see but nobody else does.

Bob
Aint it about time we all stopped feeding this bot/troll??????????

suzuki15hp

The owner of the fly line manufacturer in question is ill and production is delayed due to this for approximately 6 to 8 weeks. The company in question is 22M.

For information, here's a video of Rio making fly lines in the kitchen.

LukeNZ

I'm trying to have a reasonable discussion with gown-ups.

Make or Buy investment cases are always my favourite, I've done a couple of dozen of them, but I have a heavy bias for the control, certainty and knowledge that build gives you.

Worth thinking about I reckon.

…..stupendously egotistical buffoonery; and yet more Walter Mitty material, it seems?

🙃

PaulD

Don't worry guys, I've found the ideal birthday card the forum can send to Tangled . . .

Man who knows.jpg

Tangled

You have 'a heavy bias for control'? 'done a couple of dozen of them'?

Yes, that was my job for several years. I'm now semi-retired and only own one of the companies I created. What you prefer to believe is your problem.

Latest posts