Bass flies, baitfish patterns

danielp

Hi guys, been an age since I have posted on here as I have been finishing my PhD and moving back to Sussex. Problem with Sussex is the river trout fishing is a bit more limited than it was in S Wales, therefore I have started chasing bass instead for some local fishing.

Not particularly used to tying on 2/0 hooks so any feedback on the flies would be much appreciated.

Deceivers

Funky Fibre baitfish

Also filling the box with clousers, gurglers and sandeel patterns. Anything glaring I have missed?

Dan

patk

I don't tie anything bigger than 1/0 for bass her in Ireland. The bait fish looks great. I prefer a good bit more length in the first "tail" tie in the deceiver. Lovely flies tight lines. I also tie some of the same patterns in dark/black colours for after dark

eddy4

Here we use natural baitfish patterns when the water is clear, 4 inches, and when its murky we go black. Both with a decent amount of flash. We use the enrico puglisi hair!

chucky_chan

Hi,

Where will you be fishing in Sussex? I saw a sign in Farlows advertising bass fishing in Chichester harbour. i guess it must be good there if they're advertising in Farlows.

Tailing Loop

The only addition to those flies I would add is to put some soft hackle feathers in the body - longer than the rest, to give you the extra movement and silhouette (backbone) - put the feathers in either side of the hook, then add your materials around them.

Latest posts