Bass in Wales

jason Lowe

I manage to get an hours fishing in while on holiday with wife in Pembrokeshire. I could not believe my luck
bass fishing wales nov 2021 p2.jpeg
bass fishing wales nov 2021 p1.jpeg

tenet

I was in Lyme Regis last week and one of the fishing boats down at the Cobb had some huge Bass. Not sure if the were netted or long lined.

billy fish

There are some commercial rod and line fishermen who work out of Lyme. The netters generally catch bass of a size that the restaurant people like , and they wouldn’t be the big ones . There isn’t any long lining for bass as far as I know.
The bass you saw were almost certainly caught on rod and line from the many inshore wrecks that lie off of Lyme . Sometimes the reef produce numbers of good bass but it’s all dependent on where the food is ,sprats etc.

Rhithrogena

I was in Lyme Regis last week and one of the fishing boats down at the Cobb had some huge Bass. Not sure if the were netted or long lined.
A lot of the guys out from Lyme use rod + line with livebait. Was it a blue Offshore 105?

Rhithrogena

There are some commercial rod and line fishermen who work out of Lyme. The netters generally catch bass of a size that the restaurant people like , and they wouldn’t be the big ones . There isn’t any long lining for bass as far as I know.
The bass you saw were almost certainly caught on rod and line from the many inshore wrecks that lie off of Lyme . Sometimes the reef produce numbers of good bass but it’s all dependent on where the food is ,sprats etc.
Apologies, I just posted similar....

tenet

A lot of the guys out from Lyme use rod + line with livebait. Was it a blue Offshore 105?
Just googled Offshore 105 and yes that could well be the boat. The chaps carrying the box of fish couldn't stop smiling.
Does anyone fly fish for them?

Rhithrogena

Just googled Offshore 105 and yes that could well be the boat. The chaps carrying the box of fish couldn't stop smiling.
Could be a friend of mine.....
Not commercially; a live scad/horse mackerel on an 8/0 circle hook to 30lb mono is the standard approach. Sometimes vertical jigging with lead jigs (Yann/Flashmer etc..) is the method...

tenet

Last time I fished that way was for Yellow Tailed Kingfish off Kerikeri in NZ about 20 years ago. Exciting stuff.

billy fish

Not so much fly fishing from the boat but the shoreline can be good . I’m “next door” in East Devon and have had some good results over the years .
A few weeks ago we had 15 nice bass drifting the offshore reef using spinning gear and the lead headed minnows . This was from a friends boat that is kept at Lyme. Live scad is the favourite bait for the commercial boys .

bobmiddlepoint

There are a few known shore bass fly fishing marks around Lyme. A friend of mine went down there once and due to a wader issue couldn't join his mates in the good spots so made do with what was not much more than a large (about two tennis courts size) but shallow rock pool. He ended up with four bass up to 4lb while those fishing the good spots blanked.

Andy

Sash

I manage to get an hours fishing in while on holiday with wife in Pembrokeshire. I could not believe my luck View attachment 45453View attachment 45455
Lovely effort: you really made the best of the weekend weather.

FYI: unless we get a persistent cold snap the bass will be around on exactly your beach (;-) right to the end of the year: my latest ever on the fly was on New Year's Eve, and I am going to work hard for a January bass in 2022!

Reactions: JRT

shortcircuit

What are the current regulations for recreational angling for bass in the UK: bag limit and minimum size.

Is it the same as the Irish ones i.e. 2 fish over 42 cm?

icaughtafishonce

What are the current regulations for recreational angling for bass in the UK: bag limit and minimum size.

Is it the same as the Irish ones i.e. 2 fish over 42 cm?
Yup, it's the same. Pretty sure it's an EU wide limit. I had vaguely thought it was 45cms, but I was wrong. As there's (apparently good) evidence for the larger female fish being more important for bass, then I do wonder why it's so. I'd rather take the slightly smaller fish personally, leave the big ones to go off an reproduce.

Sash

Yup, it's the same. Pretty sure it's an EU wide limit. I had vaguely thought it was 45cms, but I was wrong. As there's (apparently good) evidence for the larger female fish being more important for bass, then I do wonder why it's so. I'd rather take the slightly smaller fish personally, leave the big ones to go off an reproduce.
The (UK, sea-) Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society (BASS) used to recomend a minimum length before any bass could be taken. When the official UK minimum landing size (MLS) was only 38cm, the BASS recommendation was, IIRC, 45cm, and it has since crept up to 48cm.

The reasoning is that, certainly down at 38cm, and probably into the low-fourties, a bass may not yet have spawned at all. So the higher recomended length would give a far better probability than the MLS that a bass has actually spawned before being taken.

I have always liked this logic, and mark my fly rods with india ink at 5cm intervals so that I can see at a glance if a fish is close to being takeable - it keeps my fish-eating family off my back, too!

NAHMINT

There is a lake ,just off the islands north/south highway ,a few miles north of the city center that has trophy size large and smallmouth fresh water bass.......no size limit or catch limit......as they are invasive species......... Actually on Vancouver island, there are no season or bag limits for wild turkey,wild-feral pig and several areas on south-mid island where FALLOW DEER are open season as well as eastern cotton tail rabbit.. as to the turkey and pigs, they can be hard to locate ,with locals keeping their locations to themselves...

howzat

I was down on Angle beach on Sunday morning, didnt have any luck , had to give up as the repercussions from my third covid jab kicked in, felt very wobbly, long drive for nothing.

NAHMINT

I was down on Angle beach on Sunday morning, didnt have any luck , had to give up as the repercussions from my third covid jab kicked in, felt very wobbly, long drive for nothing.
Had my 2nd. PFIZER shot in late JULY, several weeks later I started to feel a wee bit 'off'' and still don't feel like myself.............. Have taken meds. for cronic GOUT since 2012 but thats the only medical issues I have ever had......
Will be glad to see this covid behind us......

Latest posts